Zhang Jike fined 45.000 euros!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Yes, Jike must be fined

Agreed that he might have been under a lot of stress /pressure, but that doesn't warrant Zhang Jike's behavior. These guys are international level players and very well trained to handle pressure. Look at JO, Boll, Mizutani... they are so calm and composed.

However fine of €45000 is too much. He should have been charged upto 50%o of the prize money.
I'm sure that the Chinese coach or respective authorities will take severe punitive action against such erratic behavior of Zhang Jike.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
and u should b suspended for life from writing posts in sport sites coz u OBVIOUSLY have no clue what u r talking about and r no athlete... ;-)

Who is that post aimed at Mr Greek? how do you know that whoever you are writing about is no athlete?? and even if they are not - on this forum, and in civilised society, everyone is entitled to, and has a right to voice an opinion, a concept that is clearly alien to you ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
I am so agree about that punishment. He is a great champion player but he always has to consider that children around the world will imitate his behavior. That is not good at all for our amazing sport!.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Who is that post aimed at Mr Greek? how do you know that whoever you are writing about is no athlete?? and even if they are not - on this forum, and in civilised society, everyone is entitled to, and has a right to voice an opinion, a concept that is clearly alien to you ;)
o great,another racist...
by the way i was born and grew up in germany,very close 2 the stadium they played ;-)
no athlete would say something like that,i m an athlete and i know ,thats y...
coz if u r a professional athlete u know what is going on inside those guy's head,its crazy pressure u have 2 handle...
the reply was aimed at a guy who said that jike shouldt b suspended for infinite time from playing!!!!lol no athlete would say that...
i didnt like it either what he did,but hey,he didnt insult or hurt any1!!if u take those lines then u have 2 do the same for all players who behave like that!!!
michael maze wouldnt b playing decades ago if people like this guy here would rule...
of course he is entitled 2 his opinion,and i stated mine,simple as that...a racists talking about civilized society calling me mr greek trying 2 hurt my feelings?obviously ur brain cant handle 2 much info so u surely dodnt know that greeks brought democracy 2 the world,but thats ok,dont try 2 think 2 much coz it might hurt ur monkeybrain...
oh,and by the way,i dont like it either what greek politicians have done 2 the country,so i guess we agree on that at least ;-)

Last edited:
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Wasnt being racist at all) and yes, am aware that Greece did a lot for democracy in human history) But I would also recommend you educate yourself by reading (Descartes for example), before suggesting people should not say things/express opinions (or be prevented from posting in sports forums) even if you disagree with them ;)

This user has no status.
The only thing I ask myself is: "What does kicking barriers has to do with the prize?" The money is for the winner, ZJK won so it's not correct. If ZJK would get a good lawyer, I think he would win this in front of the court. In case of punishment it should be something else like not allowed to play ITTF tournaments for 6 months for example. But not giving him the price money doesn't seem correct imo. Where is the proof he did this on purpose and it wasn't an accident? At least REAL judges should decide this and not some ITTF "managers"...

In fact ITTF is still a company which was making money with this tournament (otherwise they wouldn't have done it obviously) so just because someone doesn't behave correct in a business transaction (tournament with prize pool, winner gets it, simple contract) doesn't mean they do not give him what he deserves. I don't even wanna know how much people were getting exploited by ITTF like building the tournament and everything and getting paid like 8USD an hour and now ITTF wants to be the mother of morality? They gotta be kidding me.

ZJK should pay them these barriers and get a punishment in sort of a "not allowed to play anymore for a certain time" but everything else is compared what ITTF does every day just not right! And I am not defending ZJKs reaction here, I am just saying not giving him the prize as punishment is completely wrong!!!

Reactions: Michal_Z and SebaGO
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
of course u were racist...addressing me by my nationality and making ironical statements about civilized society and stuff IS RACIST!!!
i dont have 2 educate myself by following hints of pseudophilosophers who use big names as if they know something about them or their theories...
u were being racist,i reacted on that,1:1,lets leave it 2 that and have peace :)
as 2 the other guy,u can take it metaphorically as 2 i dont agree with his statement AT AAAAAAAAAAALLLL lmao
peace...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
OFFTOPIC: Guys, can you private message each other and discuss this? Please not in this Thread or even in this Forum. I actually like this website because its NOT like every other Internet Forum.

After reading alot of comments and reflecting my own live reaction to this kind of celebration i'd say that a fine is okay but not that high! Im pretty sure he knew whats going to happen before he kicked the barriers, but maybe he didnt expect it this high. Otherwise it was pretty cool, entertaining and emotional. He shouldnt regret for being human.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
and u should b suspended for life from writing posts in sport sites coz u OBVIOUSLY have no clue what u r talking about and r no athlete... ;-)

Personal insults aside, I understand why any ZJK fan may want to find any excuse for calling such behaviour acceptable or "quirky" or "rebellious".

However, I firmly believe that great athletes - such as ZJK or ML or TB (or any other great athlete in any sport such as football or tennis, etc) - have a great responsibility to be role models.

ZJK could have thumped his fists into the air and torn his shirt to pieces to the delight of the spectators in the hall and everyone else watching online or via TV. He could have even done an "Adam Bobrow"-style dance. People would have loved this and joked about it forever.

However, he violently kicked and broke a barrier. Where is the limit for such "celebration"? Kicking and breaking a barrier is OK? How about kicking a table tennis table Shibaev-style? ZJK's leg strength probably exceeds that of Shibaev, so that would have been the end of that table Would have been acceptable as well? Maybe it is only when a player breaks 3 barriers?

Cool off and think about it.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
of course u were racist...addressing me by my nationality and making ironical statements about civilized society and stuff IS RACIST!!!
i dont have 2 educate myself by following hints of pseudophilosophers who use big names as if they know something about them or their theories...
u were being racist,i reacted on that,1:1,lets leave it 2 that and have peace :)
as 2 the other guy,u can take it metaphorically as 2 i dont agree with his statement AT AAAAAAAAAAALLLL lmao
peace...

You are clearly emotionally and mentally retarded. Using words like 'monkey brain' clearly shows you up for what you are - a total idiot. Calling you Mr Greek was not racist, it simply acknowledges the country you yourself state you are from - on your profile. And yes, I do know a lot about philosophy ) and you clearly do not - if you did, you would respect, and even protect the other guys RIGHT to express his opinion, without telling him he 'should not post in sports forums'. Yes, I might have a 'monkey brain' in your opinion, but I wont waste any more seconds typing to an idiot who doesnt have ANY brain at all)

Last edited:
Reactions: TableTennisNerd
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Personal insults aside, I understand why any ZJK fan may want to find any excuse for calling such behaviour acceptable or "quirky" or "rebellious".

However, I firmly believe that great athletes - such as ZJK or ML or TB (or any other great athlete in any sport such as football or tennis, etc) - have a great responsibility to be role models.

ZJK could have thumped his fists into the air and torn his shirt to pieces to the delight of the spectators in the hall and everyone else watching online or via TV. He could have even done an "Adam Bobrow"-style dance. People would have loved this and joked about it forever.

However, he violently kicked and broke a barrier. Where is the limit for such "celebration"? Kicking and breaking a barrier is OK? How about kicking a table tennis table Shibaev-style? ZJK's leg strength probably exceeds that of Shibaev, so that would have been the end of that table Would have been acceptable as well? Maybe it is only when a player breaks 3 barriers?

Cool off and think about it.

i didnt say i liked what he did..the moment i saw it i thought 'WTF!!what is he doing??!thats stupid and only brings negative feelings towards him' but 2 say 'suspend him ' is xxxxxxxx if not worse!!!
he didnt hurt any1,he didnt insult any1,the match was over!he just made an ass out of himself and even broke the barrier of 1 of his sponsors!!!lol i guess thas y he looked twice at it,maybe thinking 'oh shit,didnt know it was DHS' LOL
i m a professional athlete and coach myself so i know whats going on,and i dont do such things (anymore) ,and also teach the kids 2 behave and not 2 freak out at the table... when the match is over,go 2 the dressing room and let ur anger out but not in front of all the people there...
but if a kid does that i would NEVER suspend him/her from playing except if i c that this kid is generally disturbed or aggressive etc etc

so once again,i didnt like it either but u cant suspend him for that coz he actually didnt do anything bad...
when players do this in games they get maybe the yellow card when they kick barriers or throw rackets and stuff like that...
and what role model?2 teach the kids a lie?that u r a machine and have no feelings?
where the line is?
the line is when u HURT some1!when i throw my racket and there is a chance 2 hit some1 and hurt that person!!something that is DANGEROUS 2 some1 elses health!!!or if i insult some1 really bad,him personally or racist comments...
but other than that u have no right 2 tell people how 2 behave and kind of 'role model' he or she should be...
jike behaved like a teenage monkey!!!!
lol it was stupid and people will like him less coz of this...

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yes please keep on track with the topic or leave it to PM. Otherwise I will be forced to ban who appropriate to causing problems in the forum.

Does anyone know what happens in a similar incident in football? I think banning Zhang Jike for some matches like you get in football perhaps rather than taking prize money. Just interested in other sporting incidences.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
You are clearly emotionally and mentally retarded. Using words like 'monkey brain' clearly shows you up for what you are - a total idiot. Calling you Mr Greek was not racist, it simply acknowledges the country you yourself state you are from - on your profile. And yes, I do know a lot about philosophy ) and you clearly do not - if you did, you would respect, and even protect the other guys RIGHT to express his opinion, without telling him he 'should not post in sports forums'. Yes, I might have a 'monkey brain' in your opinion, but I wont waste any more seconds typing to an idiot who doesnt have ANY brain at all)
aaaaw really? is 166 IQ enough for u? trying 2 talk urself out of it? i have an id,a NAME !!!but u decided 2 overlook it and address my nationality,and thats RACIST!!!turn it any way u like,its racist!!!
and dont even try 2 get smart on me coz philosophy and spiritualityis not only something i know a lot about but ITS MY LIFE!!!and i can smell fakes like u 777 meters against the wind!!!
saying 'oh u should except an opinion' and then go off and attack me,even my race coz YOU dont like MY opinion?and then calling ME retarded?
u knocked at the wrong door my little brother,go play smart ass somewhere else,somewhere ur MAX average IQ has a chance of confusing people...

This user has no status.
The money belongs to him, this is really injust. Like Butt Stallion said, what does the prize have to do with the circumnstances? Another thing I wanted to point out is that he WON the match. It would have been WAY worse if he had done it if he lost. This was not bad sportsmanship, this was a show. I was laughing so hard when he did it. In Shibaev's case that was a reaction to a point that he lost. I think this is a very important detail.

P.S. If I remember well, Jean-Michelle Saive broke a barrier too during an exibition point lol

Last edited:
Reactions: delirious
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
The ITTF should reconsider their decision. Perhaps a small fine could be warranted, although a warning to not destroy the barriers would be more reasonable. Taking a guys full prize money to the tune of 45k Euros for destroying two barriers in celebration is not only unreasonable, but unacceptable punishment.

If this is allowed to happen by the ITTF without a fight from the players association, then this sets a precedent that the ITTF can do what it wishes with player discipline. In the NBA or NFL the league announces that the fine will go to a charity....did the ITTF announce who will get the 45k Euros?

I liked the celebration after the win.....personally I felt the barrier kicks were the best part....I'm not a fan of watching athletes take their shirts off after a win, but I'm sure he has developed a female fan base In China that enjoys that part of his celebration. ;)

I do a lot of Table Tennis Highlight Videos, and I'm always looking for good emotion from players. Table Tennis needs emotion.

MEMO TO ITTF: If a player wins deuce in the 7th of the world cup, he just may get so excited that he breaks 2 cardboard barriers!

-Jimmy Butler

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Imagine you were there instead of ZJK. After 3 years everyone say you: "You just won because you never faced Ma Long in major tournaments". And You have defeated Ma Long 4:3, 12:10 in the 7th set, at the final of the first Word Cup with new ball after an amazing match. What you will do then? I can really understand how he felt that time and his celebration is acceptable for me.

By the way, 45K euros is SO much for just kiking two barriers.

Reactions: delirious
This user has no status.
I'm not too much astonished

His behaviour is not too much astonishing, personally I was just curious what he would do this time, rip his shirt (no, not again), forget the shakehand with Ma Long (no, not this time, after he won)... OK, I think the first kick was accidential, he just missed the jump, but in a second he found it funny so repeated it without thinking behaving like a stoned rock "star" destroying instruments on a concert. I was pitiful and a sign that despite his age he is still emotionally immature. And by the way it's also a sign that the legendary methods of the Chinese coaches - I refer namely to Liu's methods applied to ZJK - are not more than legends, as in the end they don't work very well. In my opinion a fine is OK, though it seems excessive, and anyway. I believe this time the Chinese coaches will find something more painful (but silent, as in China he is a national hero).

And though I'm a great fan of ZJK and value his playing style even more than ML's, I don't think he deserved to win this time. I don't want to spread any conspiracy theory :cool:, but it's a fact that in the past the Chinese coaches used to point the winner in all-Chinese finals, later on it was said that the players themselves decided on the basis of the third set etc. This time after the third set (!) I told my wife - look, now Ma will win 2 sets, then Zhang the sixth and after a close battle he will take the seventh. And indeed, though we've seen a lot of fine rallies, there were so too many (relatively) simple faults... and some of them in crucial moments. Can the plastic balls be blamed for all of them ?

Sure we will never learn, as perhaps all these reflections are nothing more than figments of an overheated imagination, but once the coach of our national team told us that Guo Yue Hua with whom he used to play in the same team in the 80-ies admitted after many years that some of his titles were just "given" to him.....

Well done to Zhang Jike today, very good winning the final but what did you all think of him kicking and ripping up the barriers at the end?

Breaking News: Zhang Jike will not receive any prize money (45,000 euros) as a punishment for destroying the barriers after his victory against Ma Long.

What do you think? Should Zhang Jike receive the prize money?

You can see at the end of these highlights by TTLondon2012

Zhang Jike expressed, "I am very sorry for what I did, it was not acceptable behaviour and I am sorry"

Reactions: Michal_Z