What bat should I get?

What bat should I get?

• Total voters
This user has no status.
have you seen joola eagle fast. it is slower than both the other two and looks pretty good. also i have used it before for an hour but that was before i realised that the blade made more of a difference to my game than i thought. i used it with express one on the fh and energy on the bh and i liked it a lot. this was about 3 years ago.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think this thread is still on subject. It would clutter til he forum to add another thread. So I will respond here.

I would not pay too much attention to those numbers they don't mean much. Reviews by someone who doesn't know much or who has only played with 1 or 2 blades don't mean much either.

Ideally the way you do this is you ask everyone you hit with and everyone you know if you can try their setup and you keep doing that for a few weeks so you have felt a ton of blades. Then you choose based on experience.

I have tried the Rossi Emotion. It was 4-5 years ago. It was not my cup of tea but I don't really like most Joola blades I have tried. I think their top of the line rubbers are better than their blades.

The two exceptions I have already mentioned.

Without trying what you are going to get, you are probably better off with the Butterfly blades. I know, cost, 20% off, great deal, etc. a great deal on a blade that is not great is not so great. If you really want a great deal get the Yinhe Galaxy 896. It is a strange exception to all the rules. And for $16.00 USD you would have a pretty good blade if you want a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha, I was about to make Carl mad by saying "Wait a minute!" since the 896 is a low priced blade. Not ALL blades priced inexpensive or inferior, but I think Carl is onto something with Joola's pricing strategy. A huge company like them will maximize profits every time, so either their other blades are grat stuff or got great marketing and they do not either potential in the "Fire" blade. Sometimes, a company makes a DECENT blade at a low price to get players to try out the brand and build a positive opinion about it.

All in all, I would say Joola Fire, or a few hundred other blades will work well for you.

What I like about a really inexpensive, reliable and predictable blade like 896, is that I can dissect it and doctor it up custom like to my preferences (can anyone say HEAVY ??!!) and not really risk much money, plus it is a great way to get experience.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha, I was about to make Carl mad by saying "Wait a minute!" since the 896 is a low priced blade. Not ALL blades priced inexpensive or inferior, but I think Carl is onto something with Joola's pricing strategy. A huge company like them will maximize profits every time, so either their other blades are grat stuff or got great marketing and they do not either potential in the "Fire" blade. Sometimes, a company makes a DECENT blade at a low price to get players to try out the brand and build a positive opinion about it.

All in all, I would say Joola Fire, or a few hundred other blades will work well for you.

What I like about a really inexpensive, reliable and predictable blade like 896, is that I can dissect it and doctor it up custom like to my preferences (can anyone say HEAVY ??!!) and not really risk much money, plus it is a great way to get experience.

hahaha.

The 896 blade is one of the few blades that is that inexpensive that is actually pretty darn decent. It is better than a large percentage of blades in the $20.00-40.00 USD range.

What Der_Echte does with the 896 blade is, he takes the handle off, fills the hollow space in the handle with nails, glues them in, and then glues the handle back on. He adds about 10 grams to the weight and they end up playing really well. An 896 blade that Der_Echte has doctored plays better than most blades under $50.00-$60.00 USD.

He had me try like 5 different ones and they all felt great. I have two of those blades myself that I have not doctored and they are fine, but when he gets ahold of them, they play better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Carl, I'll swap with you straight up one "Doctored" by Der_Echte 896 with Aurus/XP 2008 for one of your "Un-Doctored" 896 if it has a modern (USED) FH rubber like Omega IV or whatever. We make the switcheroo if I ever get back to NYC and you play in Korean club if I can get there. I'll make it the one I did a thread about a few months back :)

THIS TIME we run the dinner-bet-hustle on the natives who backed out of it warily last time.

Maybe we get PP Holic in on it and we make a 3 player team tourney with each team tossing in $10 a player for prizes and something to make the manager happy (beer usually works, but they like cash in envelopes) and the two last place teams pick up the dinner tab.... Last place team 66% 2nd last place team 33%... There are a few Korean friends who missed out on the action last time and are prime candidates for a butt-whuppin'.

You feel like eating for free and watching some serious smackdown action down in the club???!!!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You get a hold of that Der_Echte "Special" and Ur Stiga Allround Evolution will REALLY collect dust and you might as well make a trade with me on that one too since you wouldn't be using it anyway. :D

Hahaha. Nice. Next time we see each other we can do it. :)

And I will have to get my friend Matt, who was at the club when we got there to come since that is his hometown, weekend club. He plays at a club I play at in Manhattan sometimes. A club in Chinatown. I will see if I can get a couple of other friends who are on MYTT.net with you.

Will be good to see pingpongholic again too.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Really now, if we got a USD $100 + blade, we would be damned reluctant to open that sucker up, but with a $15-ish USD blade, there really isn't a lot to lose, so you stay loose and have fun with it. The end result can be something with character that makes U proud...

That time I metup with Carl, I think I had ONLY 2 or 3 three of those 896 "Specials" in my Nexy bowling bag, uhm TT bag. The other blades I had him tryout were the Instinkt, the W6 (expensive USD $30), the Genote O (slightly expensive at $20 USD) and a USD $3 recycled Wallmart blade with used rubbers that amazingly no one would know it waz from Wallmart. Yeah, it was 3 specials, 'cause I was playing with the 2 yr old modified 896 with Sigma II Euro and H3 on BH, by that day I had recently doctored 2 each 896 blades.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To be fair to Carl, I do not think my Allround Evolution plays as well as his (with Omega IV), but no one around here topspin loops, so it is darned near impossible to know how that thing I built counterloops, which was a great strength of Carl's Allround Evolution.

Maybe it is time to add sum weight down low to that sucker. Maybe it will be a fishing weight or buckshot, maybe ball bearings or whatever I got laying around, eh?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To be fair to Carl, I do not think my Allround Evolution plays as well as his (with Omega IV), but no one around here topspin loops, so it is darned near impossible to know how that thing I built counterloops, which was a great strength of Carl's Allround Evolution.

Maybe it is time to add sum weight down low to that sucker. Maybe it will be a fishing weight or buckshot, maybe ball bearings or whatever I got laying around, eh?

My money says that would really work with the Allround Evolution. It would probably play great with some extra weight in the handle. All of Stiga's handles are hollow, even the ones that look like they are not. So putting some extra weight in the handle will make it feel less head heavy and it will have more inertia behind it.

This user has no status.
Hi,

I am getting a new bat. I have been researching for ages and I have come up with 4 different bats. Please vote for the one that you think is the best. This will be a massive help to me as I am very good at changing my mind but I know that as soon as I choose, then I will be happy with my decision.

Thanks,
TableTennisNerd

If you want an upgrade on your Stiga All-round Evo, you should try the Stiga Clipper. A slightly faster version is the Clipper CR which I use. I come from ALC blades and I swear I loved Clipper a ton more because of its unique feel, power, and at the same time control. It can compete with carbon blades regarding speed while providing better control. Tenergy 05 is great on a clipper, but I now use Spinart, which is better for my gameplay.

Are you playing competitively sir? If you are, I think control is more needed when playing against higher rated player (I've experienced this first hand when I played against Kohei Sambe of Japan) One cannot combat those players with speed if that's what you're looking for, you win with control, minimising your errors and maximising you attacking potential.

Harvey

This user has no status.
Joola Maxx is supposed to be a backhand type rubber while Rhyzm is designed for forehand, even Joola might not have mentioned it. Although I used Rhyzm on backhand for its fantastic control/ball placements' capabilities.

U might also wanna consider Harvey's professional opinion. A Stiga upgrade might not be bad choice as Stiga blades has their own unique type of feels compare to other brands, same for Joola. My friend did have durability issues with his Stiga Clipper CC though(he "killed" it after just 1 year. he is semi-pro and plays quite a lot though)

Actually now I remember I did have few hits with "plain" Rossi Emotion as well but I'm sure that there's quite a big difference between Rossi and Andro CSV. My opinion is CSV is simply much better, with less bounciness for soft hits, more power on hard hits plus a lot more dwell time+sweet spot.

Lastly u might want to take a few steps back from a OFF+setup instead, especially when looking at your current setup(assuming your profile correct), 'cause even a OFF- to OFF setup the difference would be night and day compare to yours.

Reactions: TableTennisNerd
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Joola Viva and Stiga Clipper are exactly the same wood. The only difference is the handle. The Viva is made in the Stiga factory and then Joola puts the Joola handle on it. The Joola handle is actually better than the Stiga handle. Stiga handles are hollow. Joola handle is solid. A bit fast but a great blade.

This user has no status.
OK so joola viva or joola eagle fast? how good actually is the viva as i have actually used the eagle fast and loved it. It is a bit slower also with more control. would the viva be better? (also, the JEF is 70 grams so i will use less energy in my matches.)
thanks, i am getting so excited about it and you guys are being a massive help :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
If you're not opposed to trying a blade that wasn't in your top four, I highly recommend Xiom's Stradivarius blade. Fast, but also very very little vibration so you have much better control during fast attacks than you typically do with an attacking blade.

Here is the link to a review I wrote for this piece --> http://kevinstabletennis.com/?p=103

Let me know if you have any questions!