Mental training for Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hey guys.. I have been thinking a lot about this topic, I didnt find anything like it, so here it is..

I was talking to head coach of our representation and he told me, that the main thing, why the chinese are so good, is the mental training from young age. That this is the difference between a good and a very good player. There are special trainings for "head" that need to be trained to learn play smart. Its not just the mental toughness under pressure, when you are losing and need to get up. It is about - how you can beat your opponent in your head. How you can outsmart him! Because - when 2 equally good players meet - the smarter one wins.
But how can you learn this? Table tennis is so fast! And you have 0,2 seconds to think about spin and speed of the ball, then move your legs to get your body into position and then adjust your stroke to play the ball into weak point of your opponent, and its 2-3 centimeters difference that many times matters!

Guys - if you know what I am talking about.. and if you know about some training that we can do.. please - share!

I know many of you will not know what I am talking about. Most of people dont.
That is why their game s**ks .. heh.. That is why they dont get better.

Here are many players, that play for 20-60 years. They got to 3rd-4th league and never got better..
I ask WHY?
You think they dont want to get better? THEY DOOO!!! THEY DO SO MUCH!!!
Just they are not smart enough.. They never found out, that their training is not moving them forward..
If you are training long, often - and you are not getting better - you must be doing something wrong!

I want to change this. I am changing this already - from when I realised this - I am changing my game.
Not just by training, also by playing the game. I am changing the game during the matches. Trying to think more, to think during every point. I tell you guys - when you really try hard - its exhausting! But I do this because I want to get better.

So - what is your opinion?
What is your advice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014
This is a very key thing that players and coaches tend to ignore, particularly since it is not so easy to always work on. You have already taken the most important step- acknowledging it is something that needs working on.
`Just practice` is not the most effective way and could perhaps be actually causing negative effects. For instance if you just do the same backhand- forehand regular exercises to the same place all the time then your natural shots in the match will be to do that, and become predictable.
You need to look at how to train smarter, more individually effective. The most important thing is become more aware as a player, after you have reached a certain level of ability with shots, which most of the people on here will have, then you need to do a lot more irregular exercises. Exercises in which decisions need to be made, particularly based off your opponent.
One simple thing would be in an exercise in which you incorporate a switch, then focus on doing the switch when the opponent is most out of position, instead of just naturally picking a shot number to do the switch, that will get you looking more at what your opponent is doing and changing your game accordingly... something that is very important in a match.

This is the exact thing that I work with in sportspeople, and as a table tennis player myself, it is table tennis in which i can be most effective. I have a website, with a blog giving tips on how to train and perform more effectively which you can see at www.brain-spec.blogspot.com and on there are details of how to contact me directly if you were interested on working on this more intensively.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
During a game, always use the 6-point break to calm your nerves. This way, you can think clearly making you analyse the situation better. I do delay the game sometimes by tying my shoes or slowly walking when picking up the ball, this is to make time for changing my tactics and to calm my nerves. Do this even if you have a lead because even if the opponent can reform his thoughts to tie up the score, the psychological factor of you having a lead affects his thinking also.

Don't ever "space out" in a game. That's why you need to calm your nerves and "awaken" your senses. You need to be active but don't overanalyse things.

This user has no status.
A good mental exercise is the "crucial points match play" (i don't know what to call it, haha). You basically play against your opponent but with the score already set at 7-7 or 9-9. This match play requires you to think and plan your serves, general tactics, and overall gameplay. everything is crucial, that is why you need to be alert.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
During a game, always use the 6-point break to calm your nerves. This way, you can think clearly making you analyse the situation better. I do delay the game sometimes by tying my shoes or slowly walking when picking up the ball, this is to make time for changing my tactics and to calm my nerves. Do this even if you have a lead because even if the opponent can reform his thoughts to tie up the score, the psychological factor of you having a lead affects his thinking also.

Don't ever "space out" in a game. That's why you need to calm your nerves and "awaken" your senses. You need to be active but don't overanalyse things.

Since I am trying to think more during matches, I do this. I never tie my shoes though, but the other things I do.
I try to calm me down as much as possible, to see things clear.
It helps a lot, true. And most of my opponents are not used to this, so I get them out from their comfort zone..

Reactions: Pavol2223
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Mental training is 100% a crucial aspect to the game. As I began to learn the sport it was described to me as playing a game of chess while running a 100 meter sprint. In a sport like table tennis, decisions must be made in fractions of seconds, and numerous factors (spin, speed, ball height, opponent's location, your location, etc.) must be taken into account.

The most important thing to realize is that you DO NOT HAVE TIME TO QUESTION YOUR DECISIONS MID-POINT. You need to be all in with your decisions. After making a shot, by the time you begin to question whether or not you made the right decision, your opponent has already returned the ball and won the point. Analysis of points should happen on a few different scales:

During a point -- Analysis of your decisions and play should not take place.
Between points -- Did I play that point the way I wanted to? Did I not play aggressive enough on that point?
Six point break -- Am I playing this game the way I want to play it? Have my last six points been played as aggressive as I want to? Am I using strategic serves?
Between games -- With or without a coach: Are my serves mixed to best set up your third ball attack or other strategy? What are my opponent's weaknesses? What am I doing well? Focus should be on what you are doing well and how you can best use what is working to win the match.
Immediately following the match -- How well did I play the strategy I wanted to play? What worked well? What didn't work well? Were there serves that my opponent struggled to return? Why wast this?
Between tournaments/matches -- When watching film: How was my technique on my forehand swing? Backhand swing? How well did I block? Push? How well did I place my serves?

Frustration and anger should never be present. Points that have already happened are in the past, and worrying about them will help no one. The outcome of that point will not change, and worrying only distracts you from playing the best table tennis you can play.

A few drills can be done to prepare yourself for this all-in mentality. Specifically, my club will commonly do two directed at this.

First. With a partner, the score begins at 9-9 and play begins from there. Game to 11, win by two. This drill trains you to focus on individual points instead of worrying about a full game or full match. Essentially, it breaks the game down into smaller pieces.

Second. With multiple players and typically at least two tables, we play "King of the court" style matches to five, switching serves every point. Before beginning the drill all players have warmed up, but between 5 point matches as players switch in and out no warm up time is allowed. The winner moves up a table, and the loser moves down a table. If you are on the lowest table you move out and are replaced by a new player. This structure encourages focus on small point increments and forces the individual to both maintain a high level of focus in game and not be distracted by the result of past games. This is my personal favorite of the two drills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan and Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Very good very good!!!
I like this 9:9 idea, I will do this, definitelly!
About the second drill, I remember doing something similar, maybe you will like this even more!
We called it STOP-6!
Its similar to yours, but you dont play to 5, you play until at some table the difference is 6 points. When this happens, player who leads by 6 points shouts: STOP!!!
Then - at every table, leading players go higher, losing players go lower. When tie - they play the deciding point.
This is also very good, but I think, when the level is too close, maybe 6 is too much. Maybe 3 would be better.
What do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
hi,
i'm surprised that someone thinks about this outside of professional contents. and i'm happy that you wrote about this matter! i'm working hard on me but, to reach higher level, you must be able physically (as body and also genetic based) to improve!
as trainer&coach, i'm working also on this mentally part with my pupils (all ages). it's a hard work to motivate there to think about, to apply about mental strengthness. and, as you say its exhausting (both: explain and apply!)

This user has no status.
Very good very good!!!
I like this 9:9 idea, I will do this, definitelly!
About the second drill, I remember doing something similar, maybe you will like this even more!
We called it STOP-6!
Its similar to yours, but you dont play to 5, you play until at some table the difference is 6 points. When this happens, player who leads by 6 points shouts: STOP!!!
Then - at every table, leading players go higher, losing players go lower. When tie - they play the deciding point.
This is also very good, but I think, when the level is too close, maybe 6 is too much. Maybe 3 would be better.
What do you think?

I also mentioned about the 9:9 game in my last post. hehe. Anyway, maybe Coach Dan can help here and give us insights on how he trains mentally his players. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 6 reviews
I am currently in the middle of the book "get your game face on like the pros," which is a sports psychology book specifically for table tennis. I recommend this.

Hey agold...where do i find a paperback book for this one "get your game face on like the pros"?

Any links would be helpful.

Thanks

...Rajd...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Hey guys.. I have been thinking a lot about this topic, I didnt find anything like it, so here it is..

I was talking to head coach of our representation and he told me, that the main thing, why the chinese are so good, is the mental training from young age. That this is the difference between a good and a very good player. There are special trainings for "head" that need to be trained to learn play smart. Its not just the mental toughness under pressure, when you are losing and need to get up. It is about - how you can beat your opponent in your head. How you can outsmart him! Because - when 2 equally good players meet - the smarter one wins.
But how can you learn this? Table tennis is so fast! And you have 0,2 seconds to think about spin and speed of the ball, then move your legs to get your body into position and then adjust your stroke to play the ball into weak point of your opponent, and its 2-3 centimeters difference that many times matters!

Guys - if you know what I am talking about.. and if you know about some training that we can do.. please - share!

I know many of you will not know what I am talking about. Most of people dont.
That is why their game s**ks .. heh.. That is why they dont get better.

Here are many players, that play for 20-60 years. They got to 3rd-4th league and never got better..
I ask WHY?
You think they dont want to get better? THEY DOOO!!! THEY DO SO MUCH!!!
Just they are not smart enough.. They never found out, that their training is not moving them forward..
If you are training long, often - and you are not getting better - you must be doing something wrong!

I want to change this. I am changing this already - from when I realised this - I am changing my game.
Not just by training, also by playing the game. I am changing the game during the matches. Trying to think more, to think during every point. I tell you guys - when you really try hard - its exhausting! But I do this because I want to get better.

So - what is your opinion?
What is your advice?

Let me make things easy, training more more more, Chinese players training much much more than any other countries' players like Tim boll, and they have better coaches and Chinese players have great fans, because they love this game! top Chinese players like Fan zhendong, they are thinking table tennis anytime except sleeping, that is the secret for Chinese players, that's it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hey agold...where do i find a paperback book for this one "get your game face on like the pros"?

Any links would be helpful.

Thanks

...Rajd...

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you meant paper rather than kindle, not rather than hardcover

I think everything is still hardcover as it hasn't been out for very long

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I have question..
Last friday I had a match, I was leading 2:0 (best of 5) and all looked well.. 3rd set my opponent had some luck, some net quotes, some edges .. Then I tryed to focus to win the next game, but everything worked for him..
In the deciding game he got 3 lucky points, I managed to level at 5:5, but then he got 4 lucky points in row. Net and edge of the table, all worked for him.. That really got me. Even the match point he got a pig edge..
Guys how can you fight this? :(
I couldnt re-focus for the next 3 matches and lost all that day..