Re-Building the BEAST

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Part of what the modification is about is putting more weight in the handle. But the other part is about actually filling the hollow part of the handle.

That hollow part makes more vibrations. And Der_Echte doesn't like that kind of vibration. So, filling the handle also makes the blade have a more solid feel.

Other methods for adding weight to the handle won't change the feeling the same way: won't make the blade have less vibration but better feeling.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Part of what the modification is about is putting more weight in the handle. But the other part is about actually filling the hollow part of the handle.

That hollow part makes more vibrations. And Der_Echte doesn't like that kind of vibration. So, filling the handle also makes the blade have a more solid feel.

Other methods for adding weight to the handle won't change the feeling the same way: won't make the blade have less vibration but better feeling.

To me, it is solid or nothing for the mod. Feel is real important at impact.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Small update on beast mods: For the life of me I couldn't get my WSC to fill properly, not until after many experiments, I used sawdust and superglue and just filled up what the PVA left as a gaping hole. Seem to work fine, will see how it plays now.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
As a followup to my post above where I drilled into the handle and added a weight and epoxy..I would now not advise drilling into the handle to place the counterweight (as I did) as it weakened the neck of the racquet such that when I accidently struck the edge of the table during a backhand loop ( I really hit it hard. Cut my finger and tore the rubber) the racquet handle/neck snapped and was ruined. Use the Der_Echte method of using a heat gun to weaken the glue holding the handle onto the neck of the racquet , gently remove the two halves of the handle with a small blade and fill the hollow areas in the handle with the weight. This method will not compromise the structural integrity of the blade.

Reactions: KM1976
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Use the Der_Echte method of using a heat gun to weaken the glue holding the handle onto the neck of the racquet , gently remove the two halves of the handle with a small blade and fill the hollow areas in the handle with the weight.

Unless it is a blade like the KJH where the hollow is only in the handle piece and not straight through the blade plies, you only need to remove ONE side of the handle to fill the hollow space. Note Der's photos in the OP.

The main issue in the Modification is to make the handle solid instead of hollow. So, in word and in fact, more SOLID. You can choose the amount of extra weight you want in the handle.

Can't tell if you have succumbed to madness or its pure genius O.O

If you did a before and after test of the modified blade you would have no doubts. The extra weight in the handle actually makes the blade feel lighter and more solid. Much better whipping action and acceleration on strokes.

If you read somewhere near the beginning of this thread I try to give an explanation of why more weight in the handle would do that. But test it out.

And the amount of weight doesn't really matter. That 120 gram Stiga Allround Evolution feels like an Off speed blade and it does not feel heavy despite the fact that Der added 35 grams to the original weight.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As I see it, there are two main reasons that TT manufacturers do the hollow handle thing:

1) It makes a 95 gram blade appear to be an 85 gram blade. It still really feels and plays like it is 95 grams because the weight that was removed was from the handle. But if you put it on the scale, the scale reads 10 grams lower because what they took out of the handle.

2) It is possible they think it gives better vibration and feel. It does give more vibration.

But not everyone likes that. I am okay either way. But I like the extra weight in the handle.

So, from my perspective, and from testing, the hollowed out handle is about marketing strategies to make people think a blade is lighter. And they add a bunch of extra BS like the idea that the hollow handle makes the blade more offensive.

Last edited:
I am finally playing the original "Beast" this week, and that is one badass racket. I absolutely love it.

It's still a little heavy for me, even though the balance is perfect, my strokes are not compact enough to get the most of it yet. Therefore, the 204g felt heavier to me (not much though) DURING matches and my timing was a bit off. Hard for me to generate good racket speed on loops vs backspin, again because of the fact that I rely on too big of a stroke. That being said, I played about 100 points lower than my rating, which is pretty good for a guy who is used to playing LPs on his BH and chopping instead of attacking. The guys I was playing had fairly elementary serves however, so that made things a bit easier for me on the BH.

This is the best blocking blade I've ever used.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The first blade I ever did this to was a Calix II I got from Nexy Korea when I lived there, then I did it to a few 896 blades...

Then on TTD, I did it one the Stiga Allround Evolution...

THAT thread was the original Beast Mod thread.

I have prolly made 3-4 threads on TTD about this mod. I know I made threads about Abe's Nexy Spartacus, the Nexy Kanaph, and the Kim Jung Hoon that Nuke Skywalker currently has.

In general, making the blade heavy down low and filling in ALL and any empty space and reinforcing it with anything, that makes it perform better in almost every measurable way. Since it is so solid abd stable, of curse the blocking is gunna stand out. Even as a dynamo offensive juggernaut wanna-be Rambo attacker, I still do a lot of blocking at the table and this mod really helps that. Not just that, but when you make a variation in grip pressure at impact, you really get a response over what the blade was like before. Amazing what a little extra weight and solidification can do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Had a full 4 hour knock today with my own beast, modded from 85 to 110, to do Der proud. My first failed attempt used two hurricanes, and not the regular ones, of course I went and chose the stupidly heavy versions. That was an absolute mistake as I couldn't accelerate the setup with any speed.

flash forward to today's session, used Rasant PG and MX-P, much better setup and have not played so well in a long while. Though with these rubbers, the setup was 'fast' but not 'bouncy', not something I tend to enjoy. So I'll change to medium rubbers and will continue experimenting. I'm so happy with the results, I'm about to open my Lissom and my Higgs hahaha