Kim Jung hoon teaches the FH Flick

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This vid is nice, but the audio is kinda difficult to hear clearly. Nexy / TAK9.com produced this vid (and its series) (Yeah ! Great stuff!) for the Korean amature crowd... but dog gonnit, we are amatures too and can benefit from it as well. We give credit where it is due, so great job Prez Moon and Nexy / TAK9.com staff for getting KJH to do this and for filming/editing/uploading it all !!

We discussed this a good bit in the BH defense thread and I copy & Paste what we discussed and carry it on over here.

Haha, KJH teaches the FH flick... (Der_Echte)

I saw a bit of this vid and the biggest thing this guy does incorrect is he hits the ball too far in front, so he hits soft to land it. When he waited for the ball to come deeper into his strike zone, even when the ball was lower than the net, he was able to drive it very fast and still land it consistent.

The 3 biggest takeaways were...

1) Move in, step under table, look over the ball

2) Wait for the ball to come into your strike zone

3) Hit through the ball confidently, it will go in

(Der_Echte)

KJH must said a million times to that dude to WAIT A LITTLE MORE. When dude did that, good things happened.

He told dude that if he wanted to flick to opponent's BH, he needed to wait some more to have that option.

He emphasized the important of stepping in UNDER the table with your hitting leg.

One thing that is different from the basic training coaches give us is this nugget at 31:00 is that even when you do not exactly know the amount of spin, you can overcome it with your impact. Strong impact, Solid impact. You visualize where you want to put the ball, step in under the table, wait for the ball, and let your shot go, yes, just go for it with solid strong impact and you can overcome some misjudging on reading the correct amount of spin.

At the very end, he said that dude's problem wasn't technique, but a lack of RYTHM to and through the ball (that word Bak-Ja also has a connotation of timing to it as well). haha, I remember an Andro vid where a whole section covering moving into position called in German "Der Tanz zum Ball" or in English, the Dance to the Ball.

The thing he did incorrect was smash power he did that to show that even with a short stroke one could put a lot of power into the ball to support his point that one uses a short stroke to make plenty of power at impact and not baby the hit at impact.

He did correct the player earlier about swinging to the side instead of forward through the ball, when KHJ did that he showed how the ball doesn't land every time hitting like that, maybe you were talking about that.

If you told me at which exact minute time in the vid he did this it would be easier for me to answer.

(iammaru)

Der_Echte, thanks a milion for your help. I still have some questions, though. I think 2:22 -> 5:56 the most important part of the video.

2:31 He used a short/compact stroke. Correct one?
2:40, 2:50 seems to be a longer stroke? not good?
2:54 correct stroke?
2:59, 3:02 incorrect?
3:04 a jump flick. What did he say?
3:30 a serie of correct strokes?
3:38 he pointed somewhere in his bat. What did he say?
3:50 a little bit longer than his compact stroke, not sure correct or not?
3:55, 3:58 very long stroke. incorrect?
4:30 he lowered his upper body and the video caption said "key point", what is it? I guess these are the correct strokes?
4:45 he raised his upper body and did some flicks. Correct or not?
4:55 he demonstrated different strokes, 5:12 a very powerful one. What did he say? Which of them are correct?

That's all. I really can't thank you enough!!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der_Echte, thanks a milion for your help. I still have some questions, though. I think 2:22 -> 5:56 the most important part of the video.

2:31 He used a short/compact stroke. Correct one?
2:40, 2:50 seems to be a longer stroke? not good?
2:54 correct stroke?
2:59, 3:02 incorrect?
3:04 a jump flick. What did he say?
3:30 a serie of correct strokes?
3:38 he pointed somewhere in his bat. What did he say?
3:50 a little bit longer than his compact stroke, not sure correct or not?
3:55, 3:58 very long stroke. incorrect?
4:30 he lowered his upper body and the video caption said "key point", what is it? I guess these are the correct strokes?
4:45 he raised his upper body and did some flicks. Correct or not?
4:55 he demonstrated different strokes, 5:12 a very powerful one. What did he say? Which of them are correct?

That's all. I really can't thank you enough!!

2:31 at 2:24 a caption comes on and KJH is telling the player that he is swinging as he goes in. KJH tells him this is very difficult. he says you "go in" (step in) and hit.

3:04 Before that, he stressed that go in a little, then hit and go in (follow through) more. The caption right after that said that if you stick your head way in (stepping WAY under the table AND leaning WAY over the table sticking your head as close to net as possible) KJH said this timing will not come out. The he did a flick and said that you gotta feel the ball. When you are late, use this kind of feel. This is at 2:56. The point you are asking about at 3:04 is KJH was stressing how to do the shot on time and in rythm, but sometimes you are late. KJH showed how to hop into position to flick being a bit late at 3:10

3:30 Before this, he stressed you go in, then hit. You do not lean way over table sticking head way in front. He hit a couple to make that point.

3:38 Here pointed and showed a range where one should impact the ball on the bat. at 3:54 KJH said hitting in the middle of the bat is best.

3:50 KJH was telling the player NOT to use a long stroke. Long stroke is more difficult. Shorter stroke is better He hit a couple to point that out.

4:30 / 4:45 Before this he stressed that normally, you control the ball with your impact. Yet, when you are extreme late, you do it with your swing.The key point caption says that it is good to practice teh FH flick parked at teh table and practice developing your impact. KJH shows from 4:33 to 4:44 how to do that in practice. at 4:45 KJH says that you can practice like that (standing up) even if you get tired. He then hit 3 balls to show that. His point was that practicing the impact is real important.

4:55 KJH say to hold bat firmly and make solid impact, swing to the ball and through it. Dont shake the bat or let the bat get too far in front. Go FORWARD with the swing. He hits a few to illustrate how it goes when you swing forward. at 5:11 he says that even if you make a solid impact, do not try to hit too strongly now. The fast smash speed flick KJH did he said that is how he hits at combat speed when the ball is there. KJH says to back off the full power and hit it like he did at 5:19 I would suppose that is to first build the fundamentals first before going all out in a match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Here are some flicks, mostly against backspin from the best of the best :D

aW1hZ2UwODQuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b
aW1hZ2UwODUuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwODYuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwODcuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b
aW1hZ2UwODkuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwOTEuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwOTMuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwOTUuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwOTcuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

aW1hZ2UwOTkuanBnQDAxQ0ZGODQ3LkRDOUZBNDUw;jsessionid=8BB8ADE5764223D2D623D047E6794225-n2.bs37b

says Aging is a killer
Sorry to be old Grump but.....

I have noticed in the past couple of years that people have been using the word amature as a substitute for amateur. Even the TTD dictionary indicates that it's a wrong spelling. To an old guy like me it really jars badly to see it spelt this way. But I suppose it's one of those Americanisms that is taking over.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
many many thanks, Der_Echte. I learned a lot from the tips. Look forward to the next tutorial video :D

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tinykin, you don't have to sorry to be grumpy, you got the right to grumpy when you want. heck, I prolly get grumpier more often than you do and YES, I am prolly the worst "offender" of that spellink. Yet you saying sorry first beofre voicing Ur opinion shows ettiquette which is something I prolly can't begin to spell.

Don't worry, I haven't lived as an adult American in Amerika long enough to want my way of typing to take over the Welt. I hope not, keypads and fingers and me don't really exactly live in harmony.

Don't sweat it too much, in Germany, school kids are writting their homework assignments in abbreviated SMS slang.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Imagine you are a teacher (one of my German friends is) your students, like 1/3 of them who can speak perfect German (and English) do not wish to do so and when they take a TEST for grades in class, they write their answers in SMS speak.

Imagine this...

1) Q: Why do we still have poison in US wheat?

(Student's andswer) A: 'Cause da SOB MSO wanna sell poisoned week killa for da GMO seed MSO JKAs be pimpin. Den da fmrs spray da stuff B4 harvest.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
After reading through what Kim Jung Hoon keeps saying to the player to wait for the ball (to get into the strike zone better) I can conclude that although impacting the ball at the top of the bounce gives you the most potential room for error and allows you to hit harder and still land the ball, it is BETTER to allow the ball to drop below net level into your strike zone, so you can arrive ot the spot on time, be planted with your hitting foot, then swing into and through the ball with a short stroke focusing on impact. (without trying to kill it) That will produce a very high percentage attacking flick that can either end a point or apply enough pressure to put you in the driver's seat to control and win the point.

That is the big take-away I get from this vid.

In Korea in my lessons, I would really suck with the FH flick like this player did, I performed that shot 2 full levels below my standard. I did the same mistakes that guy did...

MISTAKES

- I leaned over the table too far with my upper body and head

- I had no timing and rythm to my move-in and shot

- I tried to control the ball with my swing too much instead of my impact

- I failed to arrive in position, then move in a little more through the ball as I struck it (I was often late and had to just swing and move at same time)

- I hit the ball too far in front of me (in an effort to hit the ball while it was high)

- I failed to use a compact swing

- I had no feel of the proper impact or its timing

- I would sometimes try to hit it too hard

- I rarely allowed the ball to come into my effective striking area

Reactions: iammaru