Videos on new balls

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The forum member named Debater at OOAK forum plays at Preston Table Tennis Association in the UK. Outside of the ITTF itself, he has probably done more testing of the new balls than anyone, and he has found very clever ways to do it without spending a ton of money to do it. He is also really good at making videos, and he has developed a whole series of them about the properties of the the new balls. Along the line he has had several conversations with Dr. Kueneth of ITTF, and Haggis (in Australia) and I (in the US) have also been consulting with him some, and have made suggestions as to the things we need to know and test for. However, this is 99.999% his work. I really hope you will watch these. He has no axe to grind, and this is the most fair minded and fact-based assessment you are likely to find anywhere.

So far, the videos show his comparisons of the Joola celluloid ball with the Joola 40+ Plastic. The latter is a good example of the type of Chinese seamed ball that are being used by ITTF (which is unfortunate in my opinion, since I believe seamless balls are better, as are Nittaku Premium Japan 40+). Everything he is reporting here is also consistent with my own experience, and the fact is, all of the Chinese seamed balls have the characteristics he is describing here.

Here are the first four.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
A couple of comments about the third video above which, I think has a lot of interesting information. I can compare the seamless Chinese ball into this discussion since I have played with it a lot (as well as with Joola 40+).

(1) Seamless balls (ITTF-approved XSF) are even rougher on their surface then Joola 40+. This is quite likely to affect their speed and spin through the air and their bounce off the table, and it may explain some of the extra wear I am seeing on my rubber these days.

(2) Seamless balls are also more malleable (more like celluloid). Not only does this potentially affect durability, I also think the phenomenon also explains the lower bounce of the Chinese seamed balls like Joola 40+. XSF balls actually bounce higher than celluloid (a little) and they do not have durability problems.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I have just now been able to view these videos since they are on Youtube and Youtube isn't available in China. As usual Debator/PathfinderPro has done an excellent job of making these videos. I can't believe the time he has put into these videos. The videos makes it clear the new balls don't bounce as high but are more consistent. However, the specification for bounce is only for one condition. What hasn't been considered is that the coefficient of restitution will change as the ball impacts at different speed or is dropped form different heights. The Tieffenbacher tests showed that the coefficient of restitution of celluloid balls drop dramatically as the speed of impact increases. Much of this change in the COR is due to the ball deforming. Since the new plastic balls feel harder and don't deform as much as the celluloid balls their COR should remain more consistent over a wider range of impact speeds. This may be more important to paddle and ball impact than ball and table impacts because the ball can only drop so fast onto the table unless one is hitting the ball down.

In general the more the ball deforms, absorbs energy, the lower its COR will be. The is a professor in Sydney AU that has done a lot of research on this topic.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The one minor weakness in Debater's video is his use of maximum range to estimate of consistency (it was mainly an issue with his data on celluloid balls). It would have been better to use variance or interquartile range so as to avoid the possibility that the result was skewed by a single outlier ball. But that is a minor point. The fact is that the plastic seamless balls are very consistent, that was quite clear from his results (and my experience). Consistently low!!! And that is a problem IMHO. Hopefully they will improve that. Debater's next videos will deal with some of the consequences of that and he will have interesting and very thoughtful things to say about it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
The one minor weakness in Debater's video is his use of maximum range to estimate of consistency (it was mainly an issue with his data on celluloid balls). It would have been better to use variance or interquartile range so as to avoid the possibility that the result was skewed by a single outlier ball.
I agree but the editing on the video make the point clear to those that don't understand standard deviation or variance.

The fact is that the plastic seamless balls are very consistent, that was quite clear from his results (and my experience). Consistently low!!!
All plastic balls? This points out what I think is a problem. Only the Joola balls were tested. Since you have played with the Xushoafa balls do you think their bounce is as low?

I don't think small differences in color will be a big deal but the low bounce will be a problem.

And that is a problem IMHO. Hopefully they will improve that.
Like PathfinderPro said, it is hard to change one property without changing another. In the end there will probably be trade offs.

Debater's next videos will deal with some of the consequences of that and he will have interesting and very thoughtful things to say about it.
I thought that video was out already.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
No, not all plastic balls. All seamed Chinese balls. The XSF balls actually bounce a little higher than celluloid (they are made from what is an obviously different material than seamed polyballs). And the Nittaku Japan 40+ (not the same as the Nittaku SHA 40+) is almost exactly like celluloid, and is also made from what is obviously different material than Joola or DHS and the others. It is obvious from just visual inspection. I find the Nittaku Japan and XSF balls much easier and nicer to play with for this reason.