Kim Jung Hoon show some good BH nuggets of info

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I can't hear the audio as clear as I want, but TAK9.com / Nexy has a few captions up to help out. I cannot/won't make a full translation, but if anyone wants to know what is going on at a certain moment of the vid, ask away and I'll try. I really like these vid series from Nexy / TAK9.com with Kim Jung Hung, there is always a lot of great stuff in them for any level of player. I do not know why I didn't discover them before :)

I just wanted to make a quick jist of some of the important parts I found very interesting from the vid.

KJH talks a lot of theory and personal preference during this, but the 4 biggest take-aways I get from this are:

1) Be in postion in a good WIDE stance.

2) Be right at the table for bang-bang play or take a step back to allow more time and hit with more power or spin

3) KJH mentions he doesn't use the wrist a whole lot on his basic drive. He seems to generate his power from a small body movement forward (from his legs/hips - very short) and seems to use his shoulder and elbow joints as a hinge for a very forward stroke that can be employed very quickly and accurately

4) Use the body to guide the ball to where you want. Use waist pivot with wide supporting base and use the upper chest to turn with the ball to place it where you want. You do this to change and break the rtyhm of the BH to BH rally. You do this also with a change of speed (slower) or spin (more) or both, but a quick change of direction gets 'em pretty good. KJH talks about this in the final minute around 4:45 or 4:50. KJH says you can use your wrist angle to suddenly change the direction of the ball, but in a fast rally it is not as nearly as reliable as using your torso twist and turning/squaring your chest to your target.

That final nuggest I find intruiging and I saw him mention this on his basic at teh table BH defense vid.

There has got to be something to that ^^

Reactions: anchorschmidt
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Kim Jung Hoon is a Korean pro who played and any practice partner he brings to the vids (usually Choi Chang Hyuk) (My nepwhew is also named Chang-Hyuk !) is surely a legit pro too.

The Koreans start out in elementary school identified from then as athletes and treated that way. If a player stays with the system, by the time they are not even 30, they have 20 years hard training behind them. KJH was around WR40 for a spell and has been around wr70 or WR 80 lately as he has done only a few tour matches. He just got done with a stint in 1. Bundesliga

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I just completed a 24 hr straight duty period without any sleep allowed. I waz/am officially a zombie and couldn't respond earlier. I dozed 30 minutes in my chair and have now declared myself fit to fight on.

Thanx for sayin' thanks.

I make a good enough jist to get accross the best points without boring anyone with a technical translation that is boring.

I do this (make a good jist of Korean TT training vids) because:

1) Making a jist makes me think about the stuff deeper and makes a better teaching effect to ME (Yeah, I am selfish here, but really, when you have to think about what you say in TT fundamentals, it really re-inforces them and makes you better) The work is worth it

2) My TT friends are seriously HUNGRY for good useful information whether it is the same stuff their coach says (confirms coach's view) or is totally and radically different. TT forumers show this on a daily or weekly basis if you watch people post. We all LUV the daylights outta TT and want MOAR TT.

3) I want to make a record of the good stuff, it deserves it, and it deserves better than the jist I make, but it is a good balance, too much info that is not immediately useful or relevant will discourage people quickly

4) This stuff is fun to discuss and we all do not see it all the same way

5) We discover new ways to see stuff or new ways to think for ourselves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
pure lonely zoombie der_echte :)
so you keep practicing your service in your camping army ? :) thank you any way.
i love his FH technique with the guide of the elbow, to increase the FH power. However, his Bh is limited as a punch, or drive than a BH loop. But that's his style. he keeps also his forearm near the body in FH backswing, it seems to me not really smooth?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Korean subtitles floating accross the screen around 1:30ish are pretty much saying that there really isn't a right answer on the style, and KJH is showing what is only HIS style. Amature or Pro need confidence in their style.

My own BH drive vs topspin is kind like his, but even shorter stroke. KJH DOES have a BH topspin vs topspin, but in a tight match bang abng at teh table, you see him using less wrist and less spin. (presumably to make it less moving parts easier to time and perform under pressure)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
he keeps also his forearm near the body in FH backswing, it seems to me not really smooth?
I think most of the Chinese pros do this, if you watch Zhang Jike or Ma Long training videos, they do the same thing. KJH's FH loop looks very smooth to me.