What is the difference between arylate-carbon and zylon carbon?

This user has no status.
Yes.
They are, from their names obviously, made from different composite materials, Zylon Fibre and Arylate Fibre.
Let me sum up their qualities
ZLC:
Very very bouncy, tends to have a better feel of the ball on impact than ALC, aka a softer feel, better at mid/far table due to its flexibility/bounciness, generally harder to control when playing close/within table, somehow doesn't feel as supportive (even im not so sure how to describe that feeling) when top spinning. Zylon in itself is used mostly for bulletproof vests, thus you should have an idea how much tenacity and strength is in that thing. Pretty much perfect if mid/far table looping is your thing.

ALC:
Not THAT bouncy, but still very much so in a more controllable manner. Much better at a short distance, relatively weaker at far table, albeit still very good when your power output is at a good level. Generally harder hand feel, some samples gives out a very muddy feel of the ball on impact. Sometime it will feel dead hard (a few TB ALCs tend to have that problem), and at times it can feel very lively (My own Viscaria, one of the M.Maze I tried before). Spits the ball out in a pretty short amount of time after impact due to its relatively lower flexibility. Very very all-round type of composite. great for combination of loop and punch shots. There's a reason why almost all the professionals go with these if theyre not using all-woods. (ZJK, ML, Yan-An, Chuang, TB).

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Yes.
They are, from their names obviously, made from different composite materials, Zylon Fibre and Arylate Fibre.
Let me sum up their qualities
ZLC:
Very very bouncy, tends to have a better feel of the ball on impact than ALC, aka a softer feel, better at mid/far table due to its flexibility/bounciness, generally harder to control when playing close/within table, somehow doesn't feel as supportive (even im not so sure how to describe that feeling) when top spinning. Zylon in itself is used mostly for bulletproof vests, thus you should have an idea how much tenacity and strength is in that thing. Pretty much perfect if mid/far table looping is your thing.

ALC:
Not THAT bouncy, but still very much so in a more controllable manner. Much better at a short distance, relatively weaker at far table, albeit still very good when your power output is at a good level. Generally harder hand feel, some samples gives out a very muddy feel of the ball on impact. Sometime it will feel dead hard (a few TB ALCs tend to have that problem), and at times it can feel very lively (My own Viscaria, one of the M.Maze I tried before). Spits the ball out in a pretty short amount of time after impact due to its relatively lower flexibility. Very very all-round type of composite. great for combination of loop and punch shots. There's a reason why almost all the professionals go with these if theyre not using all-woods. (ZJK, ML, Yan-An, Chuang, TB).

Nice info!
While we're at it...
WHat about Silver Carbon? And "Soft" Carbon? (is soft any specific type?)
not to mention Glass/fiberglass Carbon!?
Allso Kevlar Carbon... unless that's a wood type? :rolleyes:
and.. is there any other types than the already mentioned? Appart from TeXtreme :confused:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Nice info!
While we're at it...
and.. is there any other types than the already mentioned? Appart from TeXtreme :confused:

You get all kinds of carbon, and some do a little "change" and then copyright it, so no one else can use the same name
some pictures I shared on my FB page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.482504458467148.122627.443481379036123&type=3
Not very up to date

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
This user has no status.
Nice info!
While we're at it...

Not sure what is Silver Carbon....if youre referring to the ULC (Uniaxial Light Carbon) thats in the BTY Kreanga Carbon/HolyCrown/Ishilion, that thing is, simply put, Tamca 5000 carbon fibre pointing in the same straight direction. No weaving involved I believe. I've yet to tear open one of those to take a look inside.

Soft carbon basically means less graphite/thinner veneer of the carbon fibre, therefore creating a softer feel due to its higher wood proportion. feels more wood-like.

Glassfiber Carbon is soft. Some examples are Timo Boll Spark and Andro Treiber G. From what I've tested, I think these things are softer and more flexible than most wood 7 blades on the market that is still marked as "Off". Glass Fiber is those stereotypical "carbon fiber" stuff you see thats in a modded car's bonnet, trims or even rims.

Kevlar is your usual bullet proof vest material. Thus the alias, Kevlar. Less flexible than Zylon, more bouncy, spits the ball out a whole lot faster, and somewhat heavier. Not completely sure of that last part though. I have only used a Stiga Carbo Kev thus far and that was my impression.

I think there are some other types of obscure composite materials such as:

Nittaku's G-Carbon (Noveliar. Not sure what was it since its so rare)

Novus by Xiom, Eg. Axelo, Saga, ignito. I highly suspect that thing is a different compound of Zylon Carbon though.

Some sort of fiberous material that TSP uses. Extremely soft and flexible. Not sure what it was. Can be found in the 2 side fiber blade Barricio. That thing has the fiber on the BH and Arylate Carbon on the FH. Very interesting blade.

Stiga's Nano composite found in Hybrid Wood. Never tried it, dont know what it is. It's fast though. Very fast.

Crystal Carbo from Stiga. No idea as well.

Carbotox. No idea

Aratox. No Idea

Aramid Carbon. No idea as well.

For the record, I named all those stuff from memory. Even im amazed on how much useless stuff on TT I know. I really should go and read up my Law cases....

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Yasaka Silver Carbon blade I suppose

Yuhp!

Not sure what is Silver Carbon....if youre referring to the ULC (Uniaxial Light Carbon) thats in the BTY Kreanga Carbon/HolyCrown/Ishilion, that thing is, simply put, Tamca 5000 carbon fibre pointing in the same straight direction. No weaving involved I believe. I've yet to tear open one of those to take a look inside.

Soft carbon basically means less graphite/thinner veneer of the carbon fibre, therefore creating a softer feel due to its higher wood proportion. feels more wood-like.

Glassfiber Carbon is soft. Some examples are Timo Boll Spark and Andro Treiber G. From what I've tested, I think these things are softer and more flexible than most wood 7 blades on the market that is still marked as "Off". Glass Fiber is those stereotypical "carbon fiber" stuff you see thats in a modded car's bonnet, trims or even rims.

Kevlar is your usual bullet proof vest material. Thus the alias, Kevlar. Less flexible than Zylon, more bouncy, spits the ball out a whole lot faster, and somewhat heavier. Not completely sure of that last part though. I have only used a Stiga Carbo Kev thus far and that was my impression.

I think there are some other types of obscure composite materials such as:

Nittaku's G-Carbon (Noveliar. Not sure what was it since its so rare)

Novus by Xiom, Eg. Axelo, Saga, ignito. I highly suspect that thing is a different compound of Zylon Carbon though.

Some sort of fiberous material that TSP uses. Extremely soft and flexible. Not sure what it was. Can be found in the 2 side fiber blade Barricio. That thing has the fiber on the BH and Arylate Carbon on the FH. Very interesting blade.

Stiga's Nano composite found in Hybrid Wood. Never tried it, dont know what it is. It's fast though. Very fast.

Crystal Carbo from Stiga. No idea as well.

Carbotox. No idea

Aratox. No Idea

Aramid Carbon. No idea as well.

For the record, I named all those stuff from memory. Even im amazed on how much useless stuff on TT I know. I really should go and read up my Law cases....

Well that's some knowledge! Might be something I can add here. :eek:
http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9171-Wood-and-Composite-Types!