What does blade flexing mean?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
There is another forum where this topic has gone astray. There are people that know little that talk too much. I know Der Echte ( the real ) has participated on this topic.

First there is the issue as to whether the blade flexes or vibrates. The answer is yes. The blade flexes when it vibrates. We all know the blade vibrates because we can hear it. This should be obvious and simple. I am an old engineer. I know even steel vibrates, compresses or deforms. Look up Young's Modulus. Put this issue to rest.

I have a high speed video camera that can easily take videos at 2000 FPS. It costs over $16K. In theory it can record over 38K FPS but lighting limits this. I have posted the pictures here maybe 2 or 3 years ago but no one seemed to take notice. I have a video of a toxic 5 with Peacekeeper 0X on it. The Toxic 5 vibrates a lot. One can see the blade vibrate long after the ball leave the paddle. What does this mean? In this case the Toxic 5 is in a vise and a Newgy 2050 is shooting balls at it. The vibrations are caused by the balls hitting the paddle. Any vibrations that occur after the ball has left the paddle is a sign of energy that is not moving the ball. An engineer would call this wasted energy. Basically all vibrations that occur after the ball leave the paddle are a sign of wasted energy.

I also have a video of me looping a TT ball thrown by a newgy 2050. Even at 2000 FPS one can't see the blade flex but I can hear the ping from my Firewall Plus so I know it is vibrating but at a higher frequency than my Toxic 5. So what does this mean? I know but it would be best if some of you would contribute.

Are there any spring board divers out there? Your experience with "riding the board" would be helpful in explaining the interaction with the paddle and ball at a non technical level. Why spring board divers? I suppose people that jump on trampolines would do but spring board divers "tune" the board by adjust the fulcrum by moving a big wheel by the side of the board. What does this have to do with TT? I think it is Nexy that has a paddle that one can tune by putting wood in some notches in the blade and therefore making the board stiffer.

How will this affect your play? It shouldn't. The paddle you are playing with now is not the limiting factor in your game. You are. If you play with anything that is close to normal there isn't any force or impulse that one can generate with one setup that can be generated by another therefore achieving the same trajectory. It may require a slightly different stroke but the results can be the same using many different setups.

If a person that knows a lot about spring board diving chimes in that will be good. Otherwise I may need to settle for someone that jumps on a trampoline.

BTW, I do have a coach who is about 2500 US. He doesn't seem to be interested in what I am using at all. It is all about foot work, timing and whether I am moving my forearm or my upper arm. I think too many pay too much importance on the equipment. If you play with anything norma they can all generate the same impulse and trajectory.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
So what is your actual question here? Every material vibrates, some more others less. Flexibility is a different characteristic, off course a flexible blade will vibrate more under the same force applied per same amount of time (comparing to a hard blade).

Vibrating blades or to be more specific, blades that the human hand can feel the vibration more intense are good for feeling the ball and provide excellent feedback compared to carbon/harder blades.

From an engineer's point of view (im an engineer also) yes its " wasted " energy but we are not making structures here, hehe. We want to play efficient table tennis , so in the end I may prefer flexible blades to boost my game and you may prefer harder ones for the same reason :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
So what is your actual question here?[/quote[
It isn't a question. It is an attempt to answer the question using people from this forum. I already know they answer but I have found it is best if others contribute.

Every material vibrates....
Good we agree here. That is more than happened on the other forum as far as I can tell.

Vibrating blades or to be more specific, blades that the human hand can feel the vibration more intense are good for feeling the ball and provide excellent feedback compared to carbon/harder blades.
Baal will tell you by the time you feel the ball it is long gone. I have the high speed camera that shows what really happens. I can tell you my Toxic 5 is an extreme example. I have about 12 to 14 blades. I can tell you that most don't flex enough to see in a high speed video.

What I am trying to get at is that a diver knows that his hurdle after the initial jump must be timed so he pushes off the board as it is coming up. The same applies to a trampoline. I just want others to confirm this for others.

From an engineer's point of view (im an engineer also) yes its " wasted " energy but we are not making structures here, hehe. We want to play efficient table tennis , so in the end I may prefer flexible blades to boost my game and you may prefer harder ones for the same reason :p
This statement shows exactly why I am bringing up this topic. Diving spring boards are flexible too BUT the diver has control over how he makes the jump. He can also tune the diving board by adjusting the fulcrum. TT players cannot do any of this.

We know that when the TT ball hits the paddle that the ball, rubber and blade deform. What happens if the ball, rubber, and blade start to return to their normal position at different rates? If the ball starts to rebound while the blade and rubber are still going backwards from the impact then the rebound will not have as much energy as if the blade and rubber are also moving forward to assist the ball's speed.

Divers must push off the diving board in just the right way. A jump fails if the board is going down while the diver is trying to jump up. Even trampoline jumps must be done with a certain rhythm. TT players have no control over this or do they?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Trying to describe every inter-molecular force that happens in a shot with a numerical expression will be a nightmare. I have neither the qualifications nor inclination to attempt to create another Epic Fail were there are already legions of willing TTers up to this task.

I think my official participation to the "discussion" on this at OOAK was to post a vid of the kids show song "This is the song that never ends" after I see 10 full pages of back and forth no one changing their opinions getting more defensive. I do remember talking about his in a different thread in TTD or across multiple TT forums though.

I believe (and cannot "prove") that blades do flex to some degree, CAN transfer energy in different ways, and have vibration frequency pitch unique to the blade that many of us can feel.

(Korean) Hedgehog TT forum owner has his own equipment company to test out blades and had some really neat metrics he used to measure the pitch, hardness, rebound and other factors when he tested blades.

I also believe that given a certain kind of impact, some blades I can feel I have much better control and although in general a "slower" blade should be more controllable, that isn't in my experience with a bunch a different blades a 100% sure thing. Rubbers and the GLUE JOB play a big role too.

I did not make my famous mod of adding weight to the bottom of a blade by filling in the empty space with glue and tiny nails to make the weight balance and solid feeling at impact improved (without making it crazy bouncy) totally without a result you could notice yourself if you hit with the same blade (and rubber) before and after.

I can tell you the one pro player I have had personal interaction with (Kim Jung Hoon) could tell you RIGHT AWAY (like within the first practice rally) which blade among several of the same exact blade could make the ball "Go Out" (Korean expression for being powerful). Every case this was a heavier blade playing better. KJH had three blades each of a Tibhar wood blade (I think it was Power Wood, but don't quote me) and KJH could spot the top performer right off and it was always the heaviest one of the batch.

KJH was there at Nexy HQ to discuss with President Moon the specs of his now released Tibhar KJH blade. KJH had zero idea of all the things we amatures discuss on the forums of how this wood works with this, or how burning the core does this, or how the thickness of this wood placed here does this or placing this wood here does this... KJH knew none of that, what he did know was his desired specs and playing capabilities and he clearly communicated them. You put the wrong spec in his hand and he could tell you within a minute how well it stacked up. You put something that fit what he was looking for in his hands and he would confirm it in a matter several practice drives in one rally.

This makes me believe there really are many factors to determine how a blade performs and that it is neither simple to express mathematically or even with words.

Anyone feel free to empty your overfilling box of rotten fruit by throwing it my way, we don't wont to have decomposing fruit and veggies sitting around our kitchens. do we?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is another forum where this topic has gone astray. There are people that know little that talk too much. I know Der Echte ( the real ) has participated on this topic.

My online moniker of Der_Echte started when I lived in Germany since I was the Original Jokester, it became a cool sounding name. In English, it can mean Original, Real, True, Genuine... you get the idea.

In German, from the Batman series, the JOKER is know as "der echte Joker"

I have been accused (both merited and un-merited) of talking too much when I know too little. I think there is some art to opening ones mouth and inserting the foot. Sometimes, I take it to a whole new level. :) Often, you will see me calling out (mildly or strongly) such folk, but heck, I am not immune either so I only call the obvious.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OK, besides the Never-Ending Song thing, this is what I posted. I waz wrong, I actually DID write something in that thread, (2 other posts !) but nothing of substance related to the subject. I was tossing a humor ball into the mix with "mixed" results. I have discussed my opinions I wrote a few posts above a lot over time in many other threads though.

"We could get the GOVERNMENT to sanction a study and declare the issue to be such and such.

Don't we all blindly accept and trust what governments decide without question like good sheep? :)"

"Retriever wrote:

No, the ITTF sanctions the study, supposedly declares the issue, then we can further debate it almost forever

NO !!! Not that !!! I thought there was nothing worse for the public than our current govt's and you proved me wrong !!!"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I have been busy and waiting for a spring board diver to show up.
During impact the ball, rubber and blade deform. During the period when the ball, rubber and blade are restoring to their normal shape they are all pushing against each other until they are no longer in contact. If the most energy is to be returned to the ball the ball, rubber and blade must return to their normal shape at the same rate. If the rubber and blade push the ball away and the ball has not returned to its normal shape then that energy is lost.
The point I wanted to make with the spring board diver is that the diver times his jump with the spring board so he is pushing off the board while the board is coming up and wants to leave the board just about the time the spring board is level and moving up at its highest speed. That is what the divers call "riding the board". It allows the divers to jump higher. If the diver pushes off the board while the board is moving down the jump will fail.
In table tennis we don't have control of how the ball pushes off the rubber and blade. We don't really have control of how efficient the rebound is. On top of that, when the ball stops relative to the blade and the ball, rubber and blade are at their max deformation then all the kinetic energy of the ball is now in the form of potential energy. When springing back some of this energy is used to spring back the blade, the rubber and finally the ball. The ball gets only a small part of the energy it imparted on the paddle back.
My point here is that the impact isn't very efficient and each combination of different types of blades, rubber and ball make this hard to predict and provides some justification for EJing where one tries different combinations until one seems to be close to optimal or just feels right.
There have been previous posts about blades vibrating at different frequencies. What isn't mentioned is the amplitude of those frequencies. This makes a big difference. Since the blade vibrations are largely sinusoidal in nature peak velocity of the vibration is Amplitude*(2*PI*Hz)^2 and the peak acceleration is Amplitude*(2*PI*Hz)^3. So now lets sanity check using some numbers. Lets assume the primary mode or HZ is 100. This comes from JRS Dallas's work. Lets assume the blade bends back 0.0001 meter or 0.1mm. That isn't much. The peak velocity at that point would be 0.0001*(2*PI*100)^2=39.5 m/s or 88.3 mph or 142 kph. That is fast, too fast. The blade will not bend back faster than the ball impacting it due to the conservation of momentum. Since the blade and rubber have much more mass they would be moving back at a small fraction of the impact speed. Since there are only two variables either the frequency or amplitude must be smaller. I think the amplitude must be smaller since I believe the primary mode of vibration must be 100 HZ or higher. We can hear the pitch of the vibration. So how much smaller must the amplitude of vibration be? I am still thinking about that but I bet it is too small in most cases to have real impact on the path of the ball relative to the ball and rubber deformation. Although we may not be able to model the impact exactly I am sure that if the proper constraints are used then the problem can be narrowed down so it isn't just an opinion any more.
"No, the ITTF sanctions the study, supposedly declares the issue, then we can further debate it almost forever"
That is because no one does the physics and math and a lot of people doing the debating don't know how to do the physics and math and go by what other good TT players say that also don't know the physics and math.
BTW, my company does consulting for government testing applications. FAA, DOE/Sandia and JPL through another contractor.
"We could get the GOVERNMENT to sanction a study and declare the issue to be such and such. Don't we all blindly accept and trust what governments decide without question like good sheep? "
No, I have also been involved in a disputed between the Army Corp of Engineers and a private contractor. I had to prove the contractor was not at fault for some problems. I had to use accelerometers on that one to measure vibrations.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Question for Pnachtwey:

I have read the above discussions with interest, I am merely a person with a high school level of physics at my grasp, I was wondering what was the main point of the original post, are you saying that the "flex" most tt players intuitively feel and perceive subjectively with different blades should not really have a significant impact in proper play? Rather it's the tt player's technique that is the most significant contributing factor?

By the way, I am also not quite sure what is the precise definition of flex for a blade in table tennis, so the vibrations we feel when a ball comes into contact and leaves our paddles is a manifestation of this "flex", how would you define this term in lay terms?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If, in a loop stroke, the blade face is moving almost parallel to the stroke, how would flex impact the stroke? Would it create extra dwell time? Or would the rebound cause the ball to get pushed a bit down to make the throw angle lower? Or something else?

In a flatter hit the blade face is closer to perpendicular to the stroke and in a loop the blade face would be more close to parallel to the stroke. So it would seem that flex would have more impact on a flatter hit and not be in play to the same extent since the force is moving so close to parallel to the blade face.

Also, it would seem that flex is more detrimental to smacking the ball (flat hitting) rather than helping a flat hit, since stiffer blades work so well for smacking and "flexy" blades seems to be more looping blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, does any of this really matter? Most higher level players I know don't really care about things like this. They pick up a blade and think, this one is good, or the opposite and don't seem to make too much fuss about the equipment or why one setup feels better than another.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If could work out the math behind why mod made every blade I tried it on play faster, with better feel at impact, (an NOT feel heavy in the wrong way), then if I could do that, I could go on the UC Berkley math/physics lecture tour. That would be cool as one of our Korea Foreign ringers is in grad school there.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A few years ago, one of my friends, who is 2600+ (USATT) rated, asked me: "why do you know so much about blades; I just pick a blade up, hit with it, and within a few hits I can tell if I like it or not; then I just use it; end of story; the rest does not matter to me." I agree with him although I like knowing that I like the way Limba feels as a top ply.

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
"Also, does any of this really matter? "

This is my point. It doesn't unless one is using a very flexible blade that vibrates at a much lower frequency than other like my Toxic 5. When I do the math it seems that the amplitude of the primary mode must be measured in microns not millimeters if you believe the vibration data that JRS Dallas provided. JRS Dallas didn't provide the amplitudes of the vibrations. Now do you think the amplitude in microns will make that much difference? I think technique will make a much bigger difference and I said something to this effect in my first post.

I can't see my Firewall Plus flex or vibrate at all with my high speed camera but I wouldn't expect to if the amplitude of vibration was in the 10s of microns.
"If could work out the math behind why ...."
It isn't clear what point you are trying to make. In the end we play with what feels good and our ability out weighs small difference in equipment. As I said at the beginning, one can generate the same impulse and trajectory with a wide range of equipment. It just requires a slightly different stroke.

"I could go on the UC Berkley math/physics lecture tour. That would be cool as one of our Korea Foreign ringers is in grad school there."

Not so cool. I doubt there would be any money in it. You have to be a useless politician to get speaking fees. I know. You might get free hotel room and meals. You have to be selling a product. Writing technical books doesn't pay either unless you can use them to get people to buy a product.

For the TT manufacturers sake, EJ on everybody. The next paddle must be significantly different from all the previous paddles. The TT manufacturers say so and too may believe them.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The TT manufacturers say so and too may believe them.

Good point. The marketing from manufacturers does make people want to buy things. But, if you have something that works for you and don't have money, you can ignore all that.

Almost any blade you use, if you use it for one month steadily, you will be used to it enough that all other blades will be judged by that. And after one month, you will adjust to pretty much any blade even if it is really not optimal for your style of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Der_Echte. I am not a poor college professor. I am an old grumpy engineer/entrepreneur that has made lots of money because I am will to tell people they are doing it all wrong or are simply wrong. I do not believe the customer is always right. If the customer was always right he wouldn't need me but that isn't the case. I don't have a PhD but I have learned a lot over many years from the school of hard knocks and by being willing to take on all sorts of applications relying only on my physics and math ability.

I am surprised no one on any TT forum has figured out who I really am. It is easy to use my user name to find my real name and my company and what I do. The fact that two other TT forums have failed to do this shows how stupid and ignorant they really are. Hopefully this forum will be more inquisitive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Der_Echte. I am not a poor college professor. I am an old grumpy engineer/entrepreneur that has made lots of money because I am will to tell people they are doing it all wrong or are simply wrong. I do not believe the customer is always right. If the customer was always right he wouldn't need me but that isn't the case. I don't have a PhD but I have learned a lot over many years from the school of hard knocks and by being willing to take on all sorts of applications relying only on my physics and math ability.

I am surprised no one on any TT forum has figured out who I really am. It is easy to use my user name to find my real name and my company and what I do. The fact that two other TT forums have failed to do this shows how stupid and ignorant they really are. Hopefully this forum will be more inquisitive.

You seem to be an engineer/physicist of some sorts

Who are you???

(inquisitive enough?)