Being a table tennis umpire..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hello everyone!

Last Saturday I achieved an Umpire license, so since then I am an Umpire for table tennis.

I was really astonished of what all an table tennis Umpire needs to know and do!

They have exact code of what to say, how raise hands, what to show and dress. They also have people who controll them and if they do bad, they get black points and thats bad for them.

And due all of this, their pay is soooo little .. that it is pathetic!
Still so many want to do this :)

How many umpires are here?
What interesting stories do you have for us?
Share guys ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 6 reviews
Hello everyone!

Last Saturday I achieved an Umpire license, so since then I am an Umpire for table tennis.

I was really astonished of what all an table tennis Umpire needs to know and do!

They have exact code of what to say, how raise hands, what to show and dress. They also have people who controll them and if they do bad, they get black points and thats bad for them.

And due all of this, their pay is soooo little .. that it is pathetic!
Still so many want to do this :)

How many umpires are here?
What interesting stories do you have for us?
Share guys ;)
Congrats Michal_Z. Beware of that russian kid [emoji12]

...Rajd...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
How the heck did you get an umpire license if you have to ask what to do with it here lmao
Thats like getting a drivers license and then asking your dad how to drive the car
..ehm .. veeery funny ..
BUT !
I am just asking for some stories and so ..
I am not asking what to do with it, omg ..
I only never got to be an umpire for a match.
I will be this weekend, though ;)

So your post is completely useless ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Congrats Michal_Z

Just a question, is your umpire license/course based on the ITTF stream, or is it a national stream?
I know some countries has they own program.
In other words, are you just a national umpire, or international umpire?

I have so many umpires (and referees) around my "ciricle", infact one of them is even on the ITTF URC sturcture and also faulted Ding Ning at the Semis in the Olympics lol
I was once invited to an ITTF umpiring course, but thought it isn't time for me yet to become an umpire.

I really repsect umpires, as considering all the effort they need to get to IU and then to Blue Badge.
And like in South Africa, our playing environement are so "illegal", there is hardly ventalition, yet along air con, and they need to be in a suite and tie - for the whole day. I rather still be a coach/spectator and enjoy TT matches. I don't think I resist sitting in that chair and clap my hand if i'm an umpire lol.

Yeah, when I heard about the pay per hour (ITTF world tours and up), it is pretty shocking, but some people do it as they get free international travel (if national federation sponsors), some people just pay themselve they to be part of world TT action and so on.
Not many do it based on a full time job. Which is a pity

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
since you an umpire,tell me:
What offence(s) earns you a yellow card?

So Yellow card you get when you give advice when you are not supposed to (if you are on the bench or if you are coach);
About behaviour .. well this is difficult.. It is fully in umpire´s decision. There are so many bad behaviours that can be considered unfair for opponent or crowd or umpire or sport, that it is up to umpire to decide if the behaviour is worth to give yellow card or not. He can warn the player "unofficially" just telling him not to do what he is doing between points or games.. or he can warn him "officially" by calling let and telling him what he is doing and showin him the yellow card.
Every other warning means the red card for him ..

Congrats Michal_Z

Just a question, is your umpire license/course based on the ITTF stream, or is it a national stream?
I know some countries has they own program.
In other words, are you just a national umpire, or international umpire?
Well I just started so I got just "C" license, so I can only be an umpire at the table. I cannot be the main umpire for any event yet, but after 2 years I can get the "B", where I can be the main umpire for our highest leagues in country. Then I can get "A" which is even more and then "M" and then I would become international umpire that can fault Ding Ning ;)
So this is a long road to go, but I am looking forward to it..

Yeah, when I heard about the pay per hour (ITTF world tours and up), it is pretty shocking, but some people do it as they get free international travel (if national federation sponsors), some people just pay themselve they to be part of world TT action and so on.
Not many do it based on a full time job. Which is a pity
All the money in table tennis are "pity" .. ;)

Reactions: mahomedy13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Wow, seems like your national strucuture/stream is pretty complicated.

My club mate is one of the newer South African IU, which sounds like M. He took less than a year..... he followed an ITTF umpiring course stream though.
I wonder what a ITTF blue badge is in your national grading - maybe N? lol
You will need Blue Badge to be able to handle "big matches"

One of my mentors of TT laws and good friend here once faulted Deng Yaping in the World Champs final (if I recall correctly).
He didn't do it on purpose, and he is the type of umpire I hope all umpires are, so we don't get dodgy grey line services :p

Regarding Yellow Card, as I understand, Yellow Card is a warning.
If player breaks any rules, umpire can give him a Yellow Card (warning) without any verbal warning.
2nd offensive is therefore a Red Card (point deducted)
I think that is an easier way to explain these cards

Reactions: mahomedy13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Wow, seems like your national strucuture/stream is pretty complicated.

My club mate is one of the newer South African IU, which sounds like M. He took less than a year..... he followed an ITTF umpiring course stream though.
I wonder what a ITTF blue badge is in your national grading - maybe N? lol
You will need Blue Badge to be able to handle "big matches"

One of my mentors of TT laws and good friend here once faulted Deng Yaping in the World Champs final (if I recall correctly).
He didn't do it on purpose, and he is the type of umpire I hope all umpires are, so we don't get dodgy grey line services :p

Regarding Yellow Card, as I understand, Yellow Card is a warning.
If player breaks any rules, umpire can give him a Yellow Card (warning) without any verbal warning.
2nd offensive is therefore a Red Card (point deducted)
I think that is an easier way to explain these cards

thanks for explaining the cards.