What thickness of edging tape??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Hi,

I am getting a new bat and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what thickness of edging tape I should get?

Thanks,
TableTennisNerd

I use 12mm thick butterfly edge tape, it depends on the thickness of your blade obviously, but if you use a typical 6mm thick blade and 2mm FH and BH rubbers then this size should protect both the blade and both BH and FH sponges adequately. Ultimately though it's obviously a matter of taste. Btw, I find this adds something like 1-2 grams to the setup's overall weight

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Is it better not to get edging tape do you think?

I find that edge tape does reduce the amount of serious damage (or at least the rate of doing serious damage) to my blade (I am not so worried about the rubbers usually) but personally I actually prefer not to use edge tape as it's a little lighter and somehow for me feels better (I really can't give a good explanation for that). However, I have done some nasty things to my blades before particularly when receiving short serves within the table, so now I use edge tape for all my blades. In the end it's up to you :)

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Really the answer to this question depends on the thickness of your blade - information which many manufacturers do not publish, Butterfly being a notable exception to this ( their catalogue gives this information and also the overall dimensions of each blade and handle.) If the blade is 6mm or more thick then you will generally be fine with 12mm edge tape, but if it is thinner ( my second blade is only around 4mm thick ) then 10 mm or 9mm edge tape is required. You don't really want the edges of the tape to protrude beyond the surface of the rubbers.

When I re-rubbered my second blade back in January I had no clue which thickness of tpe to buy so I bought a short length of both 12mm and 9mm. This was easy when dealing with Tees Sport since they sell their own edge tape in 3-bat lengths, whereas I have found that some other vendors only appear to be interested in selling you a 50m roll of the stuff. I managed to get a shorter length of Joola edge tape for my K7 - I think the roll I have would do seven or eight bats - but only by buying from Germany through Amazon, it certainly didn't come from Bribar.

Last edited:
Reactions: TableTennisNerd
This user has no status.
Me personally i use the 10mm edge tape to protect my blade and the rubbers eventually. I agree that 6 mm also looks great (for example Zhang Jike's bat with blue Butterfly logos on it looks quite cool...not sure if he really got 6 mms...)
I would buy 10mm since with 6mm edge tape the blade is covered and it looks quite cool, but 4 mm more would also secure the rubbers and yeah... :)
But in the end all i can say is...like it was said before: It depends on YOUR bats thickness. With Max Sponges you gotta buy the 12 mm ones for example instead of the 10mms if you want to secure your rubbers too.

Last edited: