Waldner vs Ma Long 2009

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Bad quality video but a rare recording of an enlightening match. Ma Long was reaching his peak (was ranked 1 for most of 2010-2012) and Waldner was last competitive in 2006 after declining from 1997 to 2001 before surprising everyone in the Olympics in 2004.

Check out 2:21, 2:42, 3:59 and 4:06 for some trademark blocks. I felt that Waldner came out looking better than most of the world against Ma Long :).

Waldner and Ma Long seem to have a lot of similarities in terms of technique. Kong Linghui was trained to play similarly to Waldner and Ma Long is like KLH version 2. Both Waldner and Ma Long serve pretty similarly as well and have similar looking forehands. The video below shows Waldner in the WTTC between 1987 and 2001. From 9:12 onwards till 1997, Waldner plays like a less athletic Ma Long with a weaker backhand.

Waldner even said in an interview that he had problems with players with strong backhands. ML is challenged the most against ZJK and FZD but he doesn't struggle as much against Xu Xin or Timo Boll.

In terms of temperament, Waldner is much more similar to ZJK though ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Wladner has something that most players in Europe do not have. He always says that to win with chinese playeres you need to change strategy during game a lot. Sometimes play passive - block, sometimes countertopspin, sometimes push, sometimes flick. This is the idea how to stop chinese flying. It was very easy to see when he played Ma Long.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
At his peak, Waldner would probably not have given the Chinese a set let alone a match. Ma Long would have been thrashed into insignificance. Waldner was totally superior to the Chinese beating every single Chinese he ever played and not losing, Don't think the new generation of Chinese have any hope. That is why the greatest of table tennis is Swedish. Forget the Chinese as they are way overrated

At his peak, Waldner would probably not have given the Chinese a set let alone a match. Ma Long would have been thrashed into insignificance. Waldner was totally superior to the Chinese beating every single Chinese he ever played and not losing, Don't think the new generation of Chinese have any hope. That is why the greatest of table tennis is Swedish. Forget the Chinese as they are way overrated
Those were different times, I am not sure that the old Masters would stand a chance against todays Masters. With the change of ball its a different game now.
I myself liked the old game where spin counted a lot more...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think the guys today would have trouble with the old ball and old serve rules though. At least in the beginning. Saw a match with Shang Kun recently and the opponent hid the serve a bit and he had some serious trouble returning the ball.

I can imagine that it was more difficult to train alot and become good before? Feel like it must have been more about feeling of spin and feeling overall and i think maybe that is harder to just learn from hours of practice? Maybe a little more about your natural tendency for it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
From the strategy and variability there is a big difference between Waldner and all those Chinese players (including Ma Long). Of course they are MUCH stronger than Waldner ever was, they are MUCH faster, they are real athletes, but I CLEARLY prefer to watch a Waldner-match. So much surprising actions. A real fun to watch.

Reactions: lodro and MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Old Waldner was pretty good. His blocking, countering, big forehand, tactical flexibility would translate to today's game. His backhand not so much, but he'd have a good backhand the same way Michael Jordan would have a good three point shot if he played today.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
SWEDEN HYDRA. INGENIOUS TRICK WITH WALDNER.

Waldner was a true entertainer who intentionally inserted those tricky servings on some occasions to fool down all those Asians in public, the serves very much beloved with onlookers all over Europa.
I am pleased to present a visual aid to teach the youth those ingenious tricks. We named those Sweden Hydra, you will know why by looking at the picture.

6yiiGx6LroY.jpg

Take care you click on the CR-box upper left corner.

Last edited: