Removing glue from sponge

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I actually ended up doing the parafine style remove lol, + my thumb. Didn't take me too long but still no fun.
I think I'l buy Butterfly free chack the next time.
anyhow, I assume putting glue on top of the glue would have no cons appart from the fact that you don't get the "re-glued" effect. Which I presume the chinese have some reason for doing, better tension in the sponge if you remove? or something like that? as long as the glue is evenly on the sponge and would probably not leave any bubles there should be no problem, right?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
All these LULZ of glue removal has kept me using regular rubber cement as my choice of adhering rubbers to the blade, but certain rubbers like Tenergy and Red Evo series, i would use water based glue the first time, rubber cement is not the way to go for the first gluing job on those.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
x When I rubbed with a ball to Tenergy 05 FX and Bluestorm Z2, small sponge fragments had come out with glue. It took an hour that I fed up with it. Lots of holes on sponge in the end.

x When I rubbed with thumb, my thumb had suffered a lot. I found very ineffective to rub. Requires lots of energy.

:) When I try to peel the glue off by small movements, tried to peel the glue off in one peace, I spend less than 20 mins for each less energy, no suffering. I know it is not easy to peel off glue from springy sponges, stick on with peeling it off even if it doesn't come out in one peace. Additional tip while peeling off; try holding rubber. That will make you to grab glue easier.

edit: grammar

Last edited:

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I never had big problems with getting old glue out from the sponge, probably because I put two layers on rubber and one on the blade (kind of habit from speed-glue era, bad or good who knows). If you have problem with getting glue layer out it might be because you have thin layer, just put there one more, let it dry and remove without problems. Works in 99% (the rest are usually special sponge types which are hard to clean by any method).

This user has no status.
Use masking tape, it works great with the new waterbased glue! For the old VOC glue put a new layer of VOC glue over the old glue so the glue layer is thicker, then try to get grip on the glue at a side of the rubber and take the glue of. At my frame I removed the VOC glue with Petrol but it wasn't that easy so I don't know if it's better than rubbing it with your thumb.

On YouTube are many videos about the usage of the masking tape on rubbers!

Succes!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I think I've posted this already on a different more recent thread with the same topic, but anyway, here goes:

Just pour a drop of oil on the glue layer and let it sink in for a minute. Then start rubbing on the spot where you poured the oil. You'll be able to remove the glue layer(s) easily and without any stress.

This works with ANY oil (e.g. babyoil, sunfloweroil, any) on ANY kind of glue (speedglue, wbg, latex)!