Best wood feeling carbon blade

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Donic Waldner Senso carbon comes very close to your requirement. For that matter any carbon blade which has the carbon layer away from the topmost layer will be your pick. Also, some soft carbon blade can also interest you.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tadeiro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I think DHS W997 (similar to Hurricane Long 5), my own setup :) Honestly that's why I got it because I started off being penhold player and the woody feel is very important for me even now for shakehand play. I have tried Viscaria, Boll ALC and ZLC, the old Mizutani ZLC and definitely prefer DHS W997

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The W1 "Wood King" is hands down the most wood feeling carbon blade on market. If you were to play a match with it and not look at it (say, you cover it with side tape) you would sign a sworn statement saying it felt like an OFF- to OFF class wood blade much like the famous Clipper gold standard.

Now for me the best feeling to ME kind of blade that had carbon is the Nexy Calix II. Just a tad short of the OFF class speed I want, but absolutely the best feel for control in a carbon blade.

For older and newer composite blades, I would say the classic (get a HEAVY one, say 91+ grams) TBS and the Xiom Hayabusa ZXi and the Nexy Arirang.. ALL these have excellent feel control pace and give you the confidence to loop it like you want it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Umm guess I'll revive this thread...
I'm quite happy with my setup, not looking to change anytime soon or anything but I am interested in eventually trying out a carbon blade, something I've avoided for now, afraid of damaging my technique with too much speed. I really love the all-wood feeling and would like to retain that feel the most I can but I'd like to see the power increase that it could give.

I don't have enough money to just buy different expensive blades, which carbon blades usually are...
I've heard that inner layer carbon blades have woodier feeling, so I've kind of been looking at those. Narrowed it down to:

Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Stiga Carbonado 45 (not inner carbon, but heard it has good dwell and woody feeling)

Is the acoustic or carbonado worth the money, or should I try the ma lin carbon which is much cheaper and see if I like it instead??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you like the "all wood" feel, then stick with all wood.

Composite materials can give you higher strength-to-weight ratio, but have much higher vibration dampening properties than any type of wood.This results in "dulling" of impact sensations and perception of larger sweetspot etc. But comes at the expense of "unfiltered" penetrating feedback. It's hard to describe the differences, you really have to try yourself to judge.

For what its worth, I went from all wood to different types of composites, and back to all wood mono-material designs (key words: simple, direct, unfiltered). Make up for less strength-to-weight by increasing weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren22
I own and occasionally use a $60 Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon blade, which while not being as lively as my all-wood Waldner OFF 2016 still has more resonance than your typical carbon blade. It is also in the OFF to OFF+ range, which you seem to like by the looks of the Photino and TB ALC. Hope this was helpful!

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Umm guess I'll revive this thread...
I'm quite happy with my setup, not looking to change anytime soon or anything but I am interested in eventually trying out a carbon blade, something I've avoided for now, afraid of damaging my technique with too much speed. I really love the all-wood feeling and would like to retain that feel the most I can but I'd like to see the power increase that it could give.

I don't have enough money to just buy different expensive blades, which carbon blades usually are...
I've heard that inner layer carbon blades have woodier feeling, so I've kind of been looking at those. Narrowed it down to:

Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Stiga Carbonado 45 (not inner carbon, but heard it has good dwell and woody feeling)

Is the acoustic or carbonado worth the money, or should I try the ma lin carbon which is much cheaper and see if I like it instead??

My Butterfly Innerforce ALC and Harimoto IF ALC feel just like my 5-ply Korbel Japan in all aspects of the game, they just give me an extra boost of speed and spin when I get into the ball more. I'd almost say the same of even the Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Outer. The Korbel is still an OFF- though and so are these blades, so if you want the allround feel, maybe the Nittaku Carbon Inner or Stiga Carbonero 45, but the 3 I listed are my pick.

Last edited:
says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
Innerforce technology is nice when you migrating from all-wood blade, Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC is more linear than Innerforce Layer ZLC (or Apolonia ZLC), but it's also harder and faster and have less feeling... Also Mizutani ZLC has great feeling, but it's very fast, you have to have a decent skill level to handle it well, this blade was too much for me to handle, but I liked it so much, that I still struggled with is for about a half-year, until I tried Tibhar Cedric Nuytinck blade, for me it's just awesome, perfect balance of control, feeling and speed, it's kinda like slowed down Mizutani ZLC.

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
Tibhar cedric blade has very good control but it seems slower than Innerforce ALC.
Maybe so, for me ZLC and ALC blades is "feels" quite different... I guess I'm much more found of ZLC when I'm playing two inverted rubbers, it's less stiff and overall feeling is more to my liking... I liked Innerforce ALC when I played middle/short pimples on BH and linear inverted rubber on FH, it's really great for SP IMO, the shots with SP are very fast, but at the same time control also great... As for Innerforce ZLC, I had Apolonia ZLC, which is basically the same, so overall great blade, but not linear and it also was hard for me to find compatible rubbers for it, basically I found only one, it's Tenergy 05, with this rubber Apolonia ZLC became more linear and much more controllable, but Butterfly price policy with rubbers kinda "rubs me the wrong way", so happy with Cedric blade, which is great with many different rubbers (for now I'm fan of GEWO Nexxus EL 48/50 combo)...