Has anyone tried the Yasaka Mark V M2 rubber?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Can't say I have or even know anyone using it. My observations from watching OOAK forum indicate a lot of people in Australia still use all versions of Mark V though. So if you are patient enough, you could get a reply from there. That is a good value of a Table Tennis forum, you can ask away and find someone who knows so you get a valid opinion without spending money and failing.

I am so anti-establishment / anti-pundit that I stay away from their blindly recommended must-have stuff. Sriver / Mark V is part of their creed.

Unless I run into someone at a club (then I would ask to try it a quick hit) then you will not see me buying it to know.

Take Korea, which most of us view as a pretty well developed TT nation who knows what they are doing more than many other nations. We see Korea that way. I spent 4 years there playing daily 7x a week, doing club, city, regional and national tourneys. I visited a different club at least 2x-4x a month. I have played vs thousands of amature players there. I check their bats.

In the entire time I was there, I absolutely NEVER saw anyone with a sheet of Mark V. I mean NEVER saw the stuff. I ask players and they never heard of the stuff or know its history. (They use the shyt out of Yasaka Extend HS though - you see that all over the place) I saw exactly ONE sheet of Sriver in use there. ONE. SHEET. That is it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Can't say I have or even know anyone using it. My observations from watching OOAK forum indicate a lot of people in Australia still use all versions of Mark V though. So if you are patient enough, you could get a reply from there. That is a good value of a Table Tennis forum, you can ask away and find someone who knows so you get a valid opinion without spending money and failing.

I am so anti-establishment / anti-pundit that I stay away from their blindly recommended must-have stuff. Sriver / Mark V is part of their creed.

Unless I run into someone at a club (then I would ask to try it a quick hit) then you will not see me buying it to know.

Take Korea, which most of us view as a pretty well developed TT nation who knows what they are doing more than many other nations. We see Korea that way. I spent 4 years there playing daily 7x a week, doing club, city, regional and national tourneys. I visited a different club at least 2x-4x a month. I have played vs thousands of amature players there. I check their bats.

In the entire time I was there, I absolutely NEVER saw anyone with a sheet of Mark V. I mean NEVER saw the stuff. I ask players and they never heard of the stuff or know its history. (They use the shyt out of Yasaka Extend HS though - you see that all over the place) I saw exactly ONE sheet of Sriver in use there. ONE. SHEET. That is it.

I know your stance on this :) but do give it a hit if you find someone using it. IMHO it's a great rubber. For a non-tacky non-chinese, non-tensor rubber it has great spin (while serving (though you have to work for it) and during the match. I twiddle sometimes while receiving (depends on the opponent) and in case the service drifts long, my opening loop with Mark V has enough spin to cause Kreisklasse A/B players to have trouble keeping the ball on the table. They are able to control opening loops from my FH rubber without too much trouble though.

I also sometimes twiddle to do a heavy backspin serve. Opponents are able to return the service if I use my FH rubber but if I twiddle for the next service the return hits the net quite often.

It does have its drawbacks. As it is a kind of do-it-all rubber, there will definitely be an XYZ rubber that can do something that your game requires better than Mark V. It's fast enough but it's not that fast. I think it's a tad overpriced because of the Yasaka Brand. 20 euros instead of 26-30 would have been a better price. The durability is a bonus though.

I have tried Sriver and IMHO it's slightly slower and definitely less spinny than Mark V though that could have been because of the blade.

For me, Mark V is an "almost" perfect rubber. It's great on FH but I feel that a slightly faster rubber could be better and it's fantastic on BH but I feel that it would be even better if it were a tad softer.

Advanced players aren't really using Mark V at my club either (Tenergy, other slower Butterfly stuff, Bluefire or Spinlord is the norm) but a good deal of them know about the rubber.

Reactions: Der_Echte
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Don't get me wrong, there is a place for an allround offensive rubber in today's game and I use one on BH wing.

As much as I am against pundits, I see their logic and at the end of the day, I say similar things. I just am against "This is the ONLY way" kind of mindset.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Don't get me wrong, there is a place for an allround offensive rubber in today's game and I use one on BH wing.

As much as I am against pundits, I see their logic and at the end of the day, I say similar things. I just am against "This is the ONLY way" kind of mindset.

Oh yeah definitely, I found this out early on in a pretty funny fashion. After scouring forums/reviews for I would say a combined 8 hours, I settled on a Donic Persson Powerallround Senso blade with Mark V on both sides for my first "real" racket. When I took it to my first training, an advanced player offered to help me with my forehand. I became very excited and accidentally grabbed another paddle (I think Stiga Allround Classic WRB with Mendo on both sides) and I didn't even realize that I was using the wrong blade until around 5 minutes when someone asks if anyone had seen his racket and I glanced down at the racket and started laughing.

Granted, I hadn't really used my blade yet but I didn't see much of a quality difference once I picked up my own blade. Made me realize that one should just pick a suitable first setup without thinking too much and not stress too much about getting the "perfect" starting setup.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is so difficult to get "perfect" stuff.

I say all the time to get something "Appropriate" for the class of equipment needed to be able to perform the tasks needed for the desired style of play.

When someone has no clue what they wish to become OR it is very early in the growing stage, I end up recommending pretty much the same thing pundits do: medium speed blades and allround offensive rubbers, but in MAX or 2.1 thickness, not super thin and I do not insist that only Mark V or Sriver is the only way to go.

Whenever I am at a club and I see someone with a blade or a rubber I never had a hit with, I do my best to get at least a one minute hit.

If I ever see Mark V M2 or any rubber I never hit with before, I will be sure to get a one minute knock with it.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
Has anyone used it? I had mark v before, liked it. How is M2 like. Is it still a good rubber after a harder sponge
Thanks
I used Mark V M2 for a few months with a Stiga Offensive Classic a couple of years back, and before that Mark V with the same blade. I didn't notice much difference between the two rubbers, felt a tad faster and spinnier. It is still a medium speed, medium spin, more in the relm of "All+" rubber. After a few months, I changed blade and rubber altogether to gain more speed and spin.

So IMHO, if you are looking for some improvement in performance from the equipment, just moving from Mark V to the M2 version won't gain you a lot. On the other hand, if you are generally happy with Mark V, then you won't go wrong using M2, with slight incremental gain in speed and spin, and won't take any time to get used to its feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2020
I don't thinks so there are much difference sorry to say but i am not professional due to college games i participate in table tennis rubber practice at home with my friend and buy Mark V at halloween coupons seen some great deals on it if any one know the difference Please share with us.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
For those who use the regular Mark V, how well does it do in opening backhand flicks against short underspin serves and how powerful are it's loops against long pushes and how comfortable is it in off-the-bounce counters against loops. You know, the techniques in modern offensive styles.

This user has no status.

As a Chinese, I feel the same way. Everyone has Hurricane 3 on their FH and random foreign rubbers for their BH. Recently, H3 37 has been becoming more popular for BH, and it request to be boosted like the regular H3.

I abandoned the Chinese rubbers a long time ago as the sticky surface lost the magic after 3 weeks and I have never been a fan of speed glue. I can't stay with the hassle of gluing your rubber before each play.

Now in Canada, people here normally use insanely expensive butterfly products. Can you imagine a 400 US dollars racket in the hands of beginners? The only alternatives might be the Tihbar evolution rubbers.

Although I admit there might be 5% ~ 10% differences in the performance between theirs and my $135 equipment, people shouldn't waste their money like that. Premium products require more resources to produce, it is not only waste but also sin in my view.

Reactions: TT Lover