Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Not on the list? Comment below.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Who has been your favourite player of 2014? I see a lot of discussions about favourite player of all time. For you, who has been your best player of the year and for what reasons?

This year I have enjoyed Dimitrij Ovtcharov, I thought he was brilliant at the World Team Championships and has made a big impact on the International scene.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Mima Ito of Japan
Lots of people go for mens players or world top players.

Mima Ito achieved a lot in U18 and even seniors section, both in singles and doubles, especially this year.
Just like the previous Japanese all stars, she is barely a teenager and competing with adults already.

To achieve so much at such a young age in 1 year, is defiantly worth more than top Ma Longs or Dimas of the world. Those top players get enough phrases already too lol

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Aruna Quadri - meteoric rise in rankings, beat a string of vastly higher ranked players this year - and from what I have heard - even the chinese (ZJK) and chinese coaches were impressed with his play.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Aruna Quadri is my choice. I feel he has shown to many players outside the top 50 that's it's possible to push and take on the worlds best. The World Cup was such an excellent and exciting tournament and Aruna put on a great show making the tournament very interesting.

I also like Fan Zhendong this year and would like to see him push to the number 1 spot soon.

I am already looking forward to the 2015 world championships, this is going to be one incredible tournament to watch!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
I think for the women I would go with Han Ying. She played some awesome tournaments. For men, I would choose Steffen Mengel. He is now Top 30 and was 144 when He played Wang Hao this march. He even made a bigger progress than Aruna.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think we should consider players who made big progress in this year. I am thinking about:
Jun Mizutani - more consistent in this year, very inteligent trying to play closer and more aggresive then before.
Marcos Freitas - step by step, after starting training in WSA he is becoming better and better, climing in the ranking and made Portugal team won European championships
Aruna Quadri - of course his unique style, you can never predict what he is able to do, I would pay attention about him a lot
Yuto Muramatsu - very young, already playing with more experienced players. I think next 3 years he can be very hard to beat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Too many. This was a great year but I agree that Quadri Aruna should top the list.

Honorable mentions:

1. Zhang Jike for coming back so strongly after the WTTC and winning the World Cup. (notable matches include the Asian Games Finals (doubles and teams) as well as the World Cup matches against Aruna, Boll and Ma Long, the last two were real nail-biters)
2. Timo Boll for being just unbelievably consistent and showing that he's still the best non-Chinese player. (notable matches, WTTC and World cup against Mizutani, World Cup against Ovtcharov and Mizutani)
3. Ovtcharov for his superb performance in the Chinese League. I honestly think that his performance vs Zhang Jike in the WTTC was kind of overrated. Zhang Jike was nowhere near even half his best.
4. Ma Long and Xu Xin for dominating consistently. I would have dearly loved Ma Long to win the World Cup but alas, it was not to be.

Best match of the year is probably Joo Se Hyuk vs Chuang in the WTTC and JSH vs Ma Long in the Asian Games. The duel between Mizutani and Ovtcharov is also a contender.