Watch the video below, then choose your favourite shot of 2014?

• 1) Jiaming He (Ridiculous Drop Shot)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • 2) Fan Zhenong (Around The Net Shot On The Run)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • 3) Quadri Aruna (Incredible Speed In Epic Point)

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • 4) Masataka and Kohei (Amazing Forehands In Doubles Point)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • 5) Tiago Apolonia (Superb Around The Net Shot)

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • 6) Xu Xin (Unbelievable Inside Out Forehand)

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • 7) Ma Long & Fan Zhendong (Exquisite Doubles Rally)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • 8) Elizabeta Samara (Epic Point)

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 9) Jun Mizutani (Unreal Forehand Away From The Table)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 10) Dimitrij Ovtcharov (Outstanding Forehand Counter Topspin)

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh yeah, I had to throw in the sanity check of someone jumping off a bridge. Sometimes, you tell someone to jump off a bridge, they think you really mean it (even if you wish they did), so I had to toss in the common sense check of the effect of chilly water on ur Willy.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
After all, this is the CRAZIEST list of 2014 and crazy in the modern era has a kind of universal special appeal and Dan was quick and wise to ride the wave on this one for naming it so.

Now, after all the explanations, I am even more confused but laughing even harder. Keep it coming.

Do the friends have to watch and like the video before you unfriend them. Is there an effective way of unfriending friends of your friends without ever having friended them. I think this is what will get the video to go viral. I will unfriend everyone on Facebook: everyone. So everyone on Facebook will have no Facebook friends and they will all have liked the Craziest Shot video.

Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Meanwhile, of the 3 entries that seem to be neck and neck for best "shot", two of them are really great rallies where no specific shot stands out as THE SHOT. The Quadri Aruna rally with Zhang Jike has many excellent shots but none stand out. The Dimitri Ovtcharov rally with Jun Mizutani, I would say the same even though the shot that ends the rally is pretty powerful, it does not stand out in itself. Its placement, moving Mizutani an extra foot out to the forehand after bringing him back has more to do with the shot's effectiveness than the shot itself. However, those are both amazing rallies.

Whereas, the Tiago Apolonia shot around the net on Ovtcharov is such has such a high degree of technical difficulty. It is actually interesting that so many people are voting for a shot that is so highly technical like that. Often people don't recognize the degree of difficulty in a shot like that, the way he sidespins the ball. The angle he takes on the shot. It is a touch shot where the power comes from the touch and the angle. Not a big swing or beast power. But the way he hooks the ball around the net and the amount of kick the ball has off the bounce is simply amazing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
---Christmas Special Edition - Top 10 Shots/Points of the year!---

What a year it has been in the world of table tennis!

Over the last few weeks TableTennisDaily members have been submitting their favourite shots of the year (2014) to us. Below is a video compilation (XMAS Edition) of the Top Ten best shots & points voted by you all. In previous years, the TableTennisDaily XMAS Edition of unbelievable table tennis shots/points has gone viral to more than 4 million viewers on youtube across the globe, lets see if we can get these epic table tennis athletes viral again by liking and sharing this page and video!

Now we can narrow down to the ultimate best shot/point of 2014. Which player hit the best shot? Voting poll ends on 31/12/2014 at 23:59 GMT. Take part today! Watch the video then vote in the TTD poll above.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a fantastic new year on behalf of the TableTennisDaily Staff and Members!

So many epic points, who did you vote for?

If this is shot of the year, then .. I have to say, there are only 4 shots..
The amazing drop shot. . Around the net by Apolonia.. Save shot by Aruna.. And sidespin shot from Xu Xin..
So - if you are wanting to be this a competition of shots, you have only 4 shots to choose from.. And my vote would be Apolonia..

But - watching the video, this looks more like a rally of the year.. ;)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Meanwhile, of the 3 entries that seem to be neck and neck for best "shot", two of them are really great rallies where no specific shot stands out as THE SHOT. The Quadri Aruna rally with Zhang Jike has many excellent shots but none stand out. The Dimitri Ovtcharov rally with Jun Mizutani, I would say the same even though the shot that ends the rally is pretty powerful, it does not stand out in itself. Its placement, moving Mizutani an extra foot out to the forehand after bringing him back has more to do with the shot's effectiveness than the shot itself. However, those are both amazing rallies.

Whereas, the Tiago Apolonia shot around the net on Ovtcharov is such has such a high degree of technical difficulty. It is actually interesting that so many people are voting for a shot that is so highly technical like that. Often people don't recognize the degree of difficulty in a shot like that, the way he sidespins the ball. The angle he takes on the shot. It is a touch shot where the power comes from the touch and the angle. Not a big swing or beast power. But the way he hooks the ball around the net and the amount of kick the ball has off the bounce is simply amazing.

Very good points here Carl.

If this is shot of the year, then .. I have to say, there are only 4 shots..
The amazing drop shot. . Around the net by Apolonia.. Save shot by Aruna.. And sidespin shot from Xu Xin..
So - if you are wanting to be this a competition of shots, you have only 4 shots to choose from.. And my vote would be Apolonia..

But - watching the video, this looks more like a rally of the year.. ;)

Haha yeah your are right Michal. When selecting all the shots and rallies of the year it was quite difficult to choose 10 amazing shots. Therefore I did a mixture of incredible moments, shots and rallies to create a exciting video. I think this is more exciting for the general public when they watch this table tennis video :)

Apolonia is currently winning the poll, it's close stuff!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What prize going to get a winner of the poll, some blade signed by second placer? ;)

Hahaha. That is funny. It would be cool if the players whose play is being voted on even knew that this video is out. But to imagine Dan chasing them around the world to get them to sign a blade to give to the winner of the poll, that would be funny. As if Apolonia would want a blade signed by Aruna or vice versa. Hahaha. The winner would probably say: "What do I want this for?" But it is really fun to imagine the scenario.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hahaha. That is funny. It would be cool if the players whose play is being voted on even knew that this video is out. But to imagine Dan chasing them around the world to get them to sign a blade to give to the winner of the poll, that would be funny. As if Apolonia would want a blade signed by Aruna or vice versa. Hahaha. The winner would probably say: "What do I want this for?" But it is really fun to imagine the scenario.

Haha very true! That would be funny :) I will prepare a special prize for the winner and try get the player to take a photo with it. That will be cool.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha very true! That would be funny :) I will prepare a special prize for the winner and try get the player to take a photo with it. That will be cool.

Besides, the extra media attention of having table tennis fans vote your shot or rally as the winner is a pretty decent prize in itself.

Reactions: Dan
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Players in the video are now getting involved and asking their vans to vote! Dimitrij Ovtcharov and Eliza Samara are the first players to ask fans for the support!

Good luck players!

dimivote.jpg

elizavote.jpg

Reactions: Alborz
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Players in the video are now getting involved and asking their vans to vote! Dimitrij Ovtcharov and Eliza Samara are the first players to ask fans for the support!

Good luck players!

dimivote.jpg

elizavote.jpg

Cool. And Dima does it in a classy way. Dima just says: "Vote for your favorite!" But it is cool that they are interested in the outcome. :)

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
says I like tabletennis a lot, I do it already 5,5 years.
says I like tabletennis a lot, I do it already 5,5 years.
Dec 2014
Most of the points were great, but my favorite is the last one

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Too bad for 2 things..
1st - Dan, why not do this like every month we get to vote for the point of the month?
Then we can get point of the year in the poll of all the winners..
This way we will never get the real winner, because who the hell remembers, what points were played in January or february 2014 ??
And second - only 10 points for the vote? That is .. simply not enough .. Do something with it ;)

Administrator
Oct 2010
Tiago Apolonia who is currently leading the poll with his around the net shot has recently shared the video to his facebook page!

ti.jpg

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Too bad for 2 things..
1st - Dan, why not do this like every month we get to vote for the point of the month?
Then we can get point of the year in the poll of all the winners..
This way we will never get the real winner, because who the hell remembers, what points were played in January or february 2014 ??
And second - only 10 points for the vote? That is .. simply not enough .. Do something with it ;)

This is a brilliant idea Michal! I think ill incoperate this for 2015. We could use amatuer points/shots to that have been submitted in?

I like the idea a lot. Maybe some months could be very quite in TT so we could skip that month...

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
After all, this is the CRAZIEST list of 2014 and crazy in the modern era has a kind of universal special appeal and Dan was quick and wise to ride the wave on this one for naming it so.

Haha! I thought I had to give it a change Der_Echte glad you like it :D