Zhang Jike vs Wang Hao Olympics: Amazing in-depth analysis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Great detail there! I wonder if even CNT couches analysis the game with such detail.

I guess that they probably do. It's their full-time job after all. Werner Schlager said once (as documented in Timo Boll biography) that he found a USB stick from a Chinese coach in which all of his patterns and serves were stored as well as the probability of each pattern happening based on the stage of the game.

Reactions: Michal_Z
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
I guess that they probably do. It's their full-time job after all. Werner Schlager said once (as documented in Timo Boll biography) that he found a USB stick from a Chinese coach in which all of his patterns and serves were stored as well as the probability of each pattern happening based on the stage of the game.
Nice info.
But i think this kind of analysis has just too much detail. You can not think about all of it in a match. What you need is simple hints like: "he has problems with short side spin serves on his backhand side" or "Not to forget to play down the line blocks when your opponent steps around too much".
In that article, i think the only thing that the coach should say to the player is the final analysis part. Anything else is more that enough and just confuses the player.

Last edited:
Reactions: agold
Nice info.
But i think this kind of analysis has just too much detail. You can not think about all of it in a match. What you need is simple hints like: "he has problems with short side spin serves on his backhand side" or "Not to forget to play down the line blocks when your opponent steps around too much".
In that article, i think the only thing that the couch should say to the player is the final analysis part. Anything else is more that enough and just confuses the player.

that all depends on the level of the player. for beginners who are mostly concerned about getting the ball over the net this is way too much information to make use of. for a mid-level player it would still be tough, but more do-able. for an international player the information is gold, knowing what people are more likely to do at various stages of the game based on previous match shot selection and tactics is exactly what would be needed to decide how to play the next point or series of points.

ot : you use the word "couch", are you sure you don't mean "coach"?

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
that all depends on the level of the player. for beginners who are mostly concerned about getting the ball over the net this is way too much information to make use of. for a mid-level player it would still be tough, but more do-able. for an international player the information is gold, knowing what people are more likely to do at various stages of the game based on previous match shot selection and tactics is exactly what would be needed to decide how to play the next point or series of points.

ot : you use the word "couch", are you sure you don't mean "coach"?
Oh, Its my mistake. I have edited that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Nice info.
In that article, i think the only thing that the coach should say to the player is the final analysis part. Anything else is more that enough and just confuses the player.

Well, perhaps. But when you have all this information about service and stepping around and all of that in depth thinking in mind, when your game mind which isn't really thinking takes over your game is effected by those thoughts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Well, the point by point commentary is not really an analysis, it's more of a reading of the game through the eyes of an advanced player. Every member of the CNT on the bench would read every point automatically in that way. It's the job of the coach to find patterns, strengths and weaknesses and advise the player about what to do. Section 4.1 is probably what the coach would summarize and tell the player.