Best backhand in the world?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Current players, ZJK, FZD, Ovtcharov, Wang Hao (well he just retired, but I'll put him here anyway).

Previous generation, Persson, KLH. (Kreanga's was insanely spectacular, who doesn't want to watch that, but Persson could hit every conceivable thing you could do with a BH).

Well, my two cents, anyway.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Current players, ZJK, FZD, Ovtcharov, Wang Hao (well he just retired, but I'll put him here anyway).

Previous generation, Persson, KLH. (Kreanga's was insanely spectacular, who doesn't want to watch that, but Persson could hit every conceivable thing you could do with a BH).

Well, my two cents, anyway.

Agree here.

Kreanga's backhand was great to watch, but in the same token, his high risk backhand is also the reason why he isn't a top 5/10 player (by giving away many points).
This is where I see Dima is better - also high risk, but has a better ratio of getting the ball on (I wonder if TT has statisians to compete about it)

I would vote Dima as he can use BH to BH with JSH for example - or at least I saw it in person.
For the other 3 Chinese players, they tend to pivot more and FH a incoming chop.

Never the less, I am going to miss WH's RPB vs Shakehand BH to BH rallies.....I don't think there will ever be someone similar - ie XX will just pivot as his FH/Footwork is fast enough

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Title of topic does not specify exactly which special part of BH should be considered. So I assume that we should find someone who is the most allround player with his BH and can do anything he wants.
1. For sure it is not Ovtcharov, his BH push from FH side is dramatic, he focus mostly on powerfull shots, but this is not whole BH for sure.
2. Defenders like Joo cannot be taken, because in that way I would like to see them flicking the ball and sometimes playing topspins to deconcentrate their opponents.
3. Waldner had a great BH block and smash, but topspin wasn't great
4. Kreanga mostly powerfull but surely I will put him higher then Ovtcharov

So I would suggest ZJK, although he is not my favourite player. He is very consistent with his BH, not only flicks but great blocks, smashes and pushes.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The one other thing I would say about Dima compared to Kreanga, and nearly anyone else besides WH is that he tends to hit his BH from closer in to the table, so he ends a lot more points with it outright, even if it's not as much fun to watch (hardly anybody was ever as much fun to watch as Kreanga!). I tend to include Kreanga with Persson and KLH etc. because of their age, those guys were among Kreanga's peers when he was in his prime. Persson almost never missed from his BJ side on anything he was trying to do. Like a machine.

Among current players in their prime, it's pretty much not possible to put anyone above ZJK and FZD (both have amazing BHs, I can't say whose is better), but Dima's BH is also one of the most effective third ball attacks in table tennis, really nothing like it before him.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think ZJK has the best BH in the game, and because of that he is a Grand Slam Champion. Ma Long and especially Xu Xin have still issues with their backhand thats why they have are not that reliable, because if their FH doesn't go well during a game they can not really rely on their BH.

The most spectacluar BH in my opinion are the ones of Werner Schlager and Kalinikos Kreanga. These to guys have such a power combined with finesse making it really entertaining to watch them play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Really depends on what your definition of Best BH in the world is. Power, Spin, Control, Short Game, Mid Distance, Over the Table, Banana Flip, Chop, Push, Lob, Loop, Consistency? A lot of stuff to consider.

As has already been said previously ZJK pretty much has everything on the list covered. He's smooth and very comfortable with all of the above. FZD is another player that is very comfortable with everything above.

Wang Hao is probably hands down the best in spin and control of all the players mentioned and perhaps can do everything extremely well, but you never really saw him go for mid distance looping unless out of position, you rarely see him produce enough power for a winner, and rarely do you ever see him push with the RPB.

Dima probably comes pretty close to them as well but lacks in some things he loses consistency the further away from the table he is because of his dependency on the wrist.

Kreanga is another player that is top notch in the power category, but lacks in some of the other aspects of a BH.

Many tall players are very strong in the power and/or control areas of the BH because typically the taller you are the slower your footwork. But they typically lack in mid distance play as they'll start to fish or lob from there.

I think that over all the most successful player in the game is without a doubt ZJK, but we'll have to see if FZD will be able to catch up to his level of BH mastery.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Wang Hao has easily the best backhand counterloop in the game, however I would say that either Zhang Jike or Fan Zhendong have the best close-to-the table backhands.