Slow starter - most effective warm ups?

This user has no status.
Hi guys,

I've got slow starter syndrome...meaning it usually takes me 15-30 minutes of play to warm up and hit my stride. Unfortunately that means often losing my first game or two.

I am wondering what your most effective warm up is to get you in the zone for game one.
Go for a quick run? Do a footwork drill with your warm up buddy? If so which drills get you there fast?

Cheers

says Aging is a killer
Hi guys,

I've got slow starter syndrome...meaning it usually takes me 15-30 minutes of play to warm up and hit my stride. Unfortunately that means often losing my first game or two.

I am wondering what your most effective warm up is to get you in the zone for game one.
Go for a quick run? Do a footwork drill with your warm up buddy? If so which drills get you there fast?

Cheers

That is true for virtually every player.
Basically the answer is in your post. You need to get 15-30mins table practice to be at your best.
Before that do some dynamic stretches, similar to sprinters. For TT specific, start at neck shoulders down to toes. Pay particular attention to loosening the wrist, knees and ankles.
Some players like a pre-game run, but others say that it takes away too much energy.
For specific practice, it depends. If you know who you are going to face, you might want to practise certain serves etc. Otherwise do anything that helps you feel loose/relaxed and ready for action which is usually the stuff that you are strongest at.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
I am a slow starter too, i have overcome this by ignoring that i am not warmed up.i just focus on the game, put m full concentration in the game andplay a little safer :)

This user has no status.
I have got the same problem as you CroneOne. When I play a match and I haven't done my usual warm-up exercises, I start to feel nervous. At that moment I just try to put all the balls in the table, without hitting strong shots, so that my opponent also has the chance to miss the next shot. I hope you overcome this problem early!

says Aging is a killer
I forgot to add.

If you can't get on a table, hit a ball on your bat. Practise spinning the ball and controlling it for a couple of minutes. It give you an immediate feel for spin action and helps to focus on the job at hand.
In fact you should do this whether or not you get on the table.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
If you can't get on a table, hit a ball on your bat. Practise spinning the ball and controlling it for a couple of minutes. It give you an immediate feel for spin action and helps to focus on the job at hand.
In fact you should do this whether or not you get on the table.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it!