Switching from black to red to hit smashes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I noticed in the Fan Zhendong slow motion video that he switched from using the black side of his racket for his forehand to using the red side for smashes. I think I saw Dima do the same thing. Is the difference between black and red that much that it has an advantage in smashing but not for driving and looping? Seems odd to me.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Its not about the color of rubber. Most players use slower rubbers on their forehand compare to BH. FZD and other CNT players use hard and tacky rubbers on their FH which is great for looping but not good for smashing. So when they want to smash the turn the bat and use their faster and bouncier BH rubber(which in this case is red) to gain more power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Its not about the color of rubber. Most players use slower rubbers on their forehand compare to BH. FZD and other CNT players use hard and tacky rubbers on their FH which is great for looping but not good for smashing. So when they want to smash the turn the bat and use their faster and bouncier BH rubber(which in this case is red) to gain more power.

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. Why have slower rubber on forehand than on backhand? More spin?

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Thanks. I figured it was something like that. Why have slower rubber on forehand than on backhand? More spin?
Forehand back swing is much bigger than BH so you can generate more power with your body and don't need much speed from your bat. But you can gain more control and spin by using a slower rubber with more dwell time.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alborz, H3 is not slower than Tenergy when looping. H3, especially the boosted National kind the CNT players are using is awfully fast when looping because of the topsheet. But it is not good or fast for flat hitting. So in essence you have it right that the reason they switch is that the DHS rubbers are not good for smashing. But it is not that they are a slower rubber. They are a different kind of rubber that is not good for flat hitting.

Many players use a HARDER rubber on the FH than on the BH because of the size of the FH stroke (large) compared to the size of the BH stroke (very compact in comparison) and how with a smaller stroke and a softer sponge you get the ball to sink in well enough for the topsheet to really grab the sponge. And with a harder rubber it works better for the larger stroke so that you don't get the ball to sink in too much and bottom out on the big strokes while looping.

But the hard DHS sponges are for those tacky topsheets and they are not great for flat hitting.

So, that is why the CNT players twiddle their rackets for smashing.

And H3 is not slow rubber as long as you are using it the way it is made to be used.

Reactions: Rajah* and Alborz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Read 4 reviews
Alborz, H3 is not slower than Tenergy when looping. H3, especially the boosted National kind the CNT players are using is awfully fast when looping because of the topsheet. But it is not good or fast for flat hitting. So in essence you have it right that the reason they switch is that the DHS rubbers are not good for smashing. But it is not that they are a slower rubber. They are a different kind of rubber that is not good for flat hitting.

Many players use a HARDER rubber on the FH than on the BH because of the size of the FH stroke (large) compared to the size of the BH stroke (very compact in comparison) and how with a smaller stroke and a softer sponge you get the ball to sink in well enough for the topsheet to really grab the sponge. And with a harder rubber it works better for the larger stroke so that you don't get the ball to sink in too much and bottom out on the big strokes while looping.

But the hard DHS sponges are for those tacky topsheets and they are not great for flat hitting.

So, that is why the CNT players twiddle their rackets for smashing.

And H3 is not slow rubber as long as you are using it the way it is made to be used.
Haha you are right.i confirm your statements.i use thw same setup as the cnt players...
H3 nat on fh(untuned) and ten 05 bh.
H3 is NOT good for flat hitting, but good for looping, counterlooping, loop-loop, etc...
pretty much everything but flat hitting :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
If the returning ball starts to float back do not immdtly twiddle your blade even if the returning ball bounces high still it is safer to spin the ball back to maintain that extra kick on the ball after the bounce and that further pushes your opponent away from the table

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

Chinese tacky rubbers have a sticky surface topsheet so they produce tons of spin (the ball stays on the rubber longer) but are significantly slower than european tensor rubbers. The chinese use it because you have plenty of options in the short game as well as serve and receive. Now since the rubber is tacky the ball in a vertical contact hit (as in a smash) "finds" it difficult to leave the decompressed rubber with maximum possible speed because the tackiness somehow "holds" it back. So they use the euro rubber which works like a normal spring in order to unleash fast smashes

From my perspective and over a certain level (semipro to pro) tacky rubbers are better for the FH side for the reasons I explained, but they are very demanding in the way you play them so you can utilize their tackiness at 100%. You have to be really fast with strong and solid body balance (that means hundreds of hour of training to get good at balance & footwork) and with perfect technique because tacky rubbers do not "forgive" mistakes in technique (especially on which spot of your paddle hits the ball) as european tensors do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajah*