When to change Blade/Rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Hi, I've been playing table tennis for the past 2 months frequently in a local club, and will start competing very very soon, I came back after 12 years without playing, but before I use to play only in casual tournments when younger.

Now that I've been playing a bit more seriously, I was wondering when do I know that is time to change Blade or rubbers? (and I mean to something different not because the blade is broken or the rubbers too used)

Hope You can help me, Thanks very much in advance.

Manuel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
my apologies,i misread your question.

You,as a player will start noticing a reduction in speed and spin of your rubbers over time.this is an indication that it is near time to change your rubbers.

As for your blade,that is totally up to you.you can use your current blade for however long you want,it all depends on how you like it.

says Aging is a killer
Satisfy your curiosity

Many new rubbers and blades have come onto the market over the past 10 years.
The main reason for this was the banning of speed-glue which caused manufacturers to develop rubber/blade combinations that best simulate the old speed-glue effect.
The most successful is Butterfly with their Tenergy series of rubbers which, allied to their composite blades, has become the standard for all other rubber/blade combination. This is similar to the old Mark V/Alser market domination.
Below pro level the bat that you have is more than enough. But try the Tenergy 05 on a separate blade to see what all the fuss is about. Just remember that they cost £50 each + shipping.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Tinykin, thanks for the update :)

I guess I won't know until I try something different right? I will see if there's someone in my club that has it, instead of spending the money first :)

Thank you.
I suggest keeping your blade for the moment. The Stiga allround classic is easily one of the best blades you could possibly learn and progress with. Once you progress all you need to do is swap rubbers to something faster like Tenergy(what I put on it.), It's what I started with and still have it now just don't use it anymore as I have my Viscaria! Hope what we have said here makes the decision easier for you! :)

Reactions: manellii
This user has no status.
When you get the technique right its time to change to faster and harder rubbers, because soft rubbers are forgiving and make all of your shots easier to execute.

The harder the rubber the less forgiving and the better technique you need. But it also depends on your prefference if you like to play with controll and feeling or if you want to play attack all out.

This user has no status.
And about suggestions.

Try Donic Burn Aratox with Andro Impulse Powersponge on both sides, this combination is absolutely awesome. My team mate is playing with it and he wants to change to something faster so he wanted to try my Rasant and we switched bats and the controll I had with the blade was awesome as well as speed and spin, however the rubber do not produce much spin when striking the ball faster but on spinny loops I think it has as much spin as a T05-FX.

Cheers and goodluck

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you like what you have, if it works for you, there is NO reason to change. You could use that for the next 5 years and be fine. Since you are not asking how to know if equipment is worn out, but instead, when you should, for no real reason, or because what you have isn't "good" enough, just get something else, because that is actually what you are asking, the time to do that is one of these two: 1) never, 2) whenever you want to.

In essence this is an equipment junkie question. There is nothing wrong with trying other stuff if you want to. But there is no reason to if what you are using works for you. If you really are set on something new, try anyone and everyone's setup at your club. Anyone who will let you get a bit of a knock with their setup, go for it. As you do you will find out whether you like what you have or what other people have. Based on the setup you are using, all the offensive players whose rackets you will try will be much faster, much spinnier, and much more sensitive to incoming spin and much harder to control. You will see if you like the amazing control of the setup you have or the increase in speed, spin and power with the tradeoff of much less control. Then you will be able to better decide if you want to stick with what you have or try something new.

Reactions: manellii and Rajah*
This user has no status.
There is only one point at which you should change your equipment if you're not just trying different setups:
If you feel that your current setup is lacking in something even when you have decent technique.

I for example changed from Donic Desto F2 to Donic Baracuda then Acuda S1 on my forehand, because I found the speed of the F2 and the throw angle on the Baracuda not complementing my playstyle enough. On my backhand I changed from Stiga Neos Tacky to Armstroing Hikari SR7, because the Neos Tacky didn't have enough acceleration for my playstyle.

You will be able to feel if something is lacking for you in your current setup. It will just feel off for you when you hit the ball.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
"... time to change Blade or rubbers? ..."

Hmmmm.

How about when the wind blows?

Sounds like a silly answer, but some actually do that. Change ur stuff out when you fell it is time. You will know, you are the one operating Ur gear and know its performance better than we do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Thanks Raazzz, for example how long have you been playing with your current setup?

I play 6-8 times a week so I actually change rubbers quite often, maybe every second week. I now play with Airoc witch have a really good top sheet so I don't need to change that often anymore :) I only change the blade when it's broken, pretty often when I was younger and had a really bad temper haha.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You must change your rubbers when you feel that they are slow and/or when they don't have much grip

He is specifically asking, when do you upgrade equipment, NOT, when is the rubber worn out. So it seems you may have simply answered a question than the question being asked.

Here is the pertinent phrase in the original post:

(and I mean to something different not because the blade is broken or the rubbers too used)

That part he can figure out. :)

Last edited: