Do i need a new blade

This user has no status.
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I am going to try out a few fast but soft and flexible blades out. I am going to order the Tibhar stratus power and somthing else to try. Any ideas fellas?
A guy from Lancaster with a TSP Balsa....Youre not Alex Tyson from the uni are you?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A guy from Lancaster with a TSP Balsa....Youre not the Hulk from the uni are you?

The TT mafia is about to track down another unauthorized rubber user of Pro or National version.

Run for the hills !!!

run to hills.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
TSP 6.5 Balsa is a decent blade, but you're quite right... if you want something that hits harder with more spin and impact, you'll need to get something like a Viscaria or Timo Boll Spirit. Generally, if you're an offensive player, go for something with carbon in the mix. Just don't be disheartened when your short game suffers because your pushes or chops pop up... it takes a while to get the hang of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Der_Echte has presented the basic facts. Balsa blades are great for hitting and smashing because of the characteristics of the wood. They are not great for looping so most top pros do not use a straight up balsa blade. I don't know of any.

One thing to note though, the Viscaria is listed as a blade with a Balsa core:

"Butterfly Viscaria: Koto-ALC-Balsa-ALC-Koto" (that comes from Ooak Forum).

And This is from the Butterfly site:

• Combines Arylate fiber features of lightness, flexibility, and shock absorption with the Carbon fiber features of high elasticity and minimal dissipation of energy.
• Koto outer plies & Balsa core.
• Viscaria's compact head size makes it ideal for quick re-looping right off the bounce.

So any pro who is using the Viscaria is potentially using a blade that has Balsa in it. But, in spite of the information presented above which comes from 2 different sources, I have heard many people claim that the inner ply of a Viscaria is Kiri. I had a Viscaria and know it had a Balsa core. But I have felt others that did not feel like a balsa core. So it may be that they made them with Kiri at some point. But with the ALC and the thin core, Viscaria is different than one of those Balsa blades that has a 5, 6 or 7mm thick balsa core.

My sense is, if you like hitting and smashing and you don't loop much, Balsa is fine. If you are looping most of the time, you will do better with something else. And reaching higher levels, at a certain point, in my opinion, is about developing your loop on both sides so that you can loop everything. At the highest levels of play, that is what they do, so you don't have players using one of those blades with a thick balsa core at the highest levels because they are really fast but not useful for looping.

The style of play that went with those kinds of blades has been outdated for the most part. Der_Echte also mentions the exceptions to that. Certain pips players. But I don't think the pips players who are really high level are using balsa either.

Wait ... What .. !!! Viscaria with Balsa ?? I have always been under the impression that Viscaria is and always has been Koto, ALC, Limba, Kiri, Limba, ALC, Koto. Yes, Kiri is KIND OF like Balsa, just harder, heavier and more durable ... Am I missing something ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Timo Boll has recently switched to Primorac Carbon, which is a Balsa Core blade.

I think this is Primorac Carbon: Butterfly Primorac Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

I think the carbon in the Primorac Carbon is Tamca 5000 Carbon but I could be wrong.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Wait ... What .. !!! Viscaria with Balsa ?? I have always been under the impression that Viscaria is and always has been Koto, ALC, Limba, Kiri, Limba, ALC, Koto. Yes, Kiri is KIND OF like Balsa, just harder, heavier and more durable ... Am I missing something ?

Prior to 2008 Butterfly used to list Viscaria as having a Balsa core? Did it ever? Maybe. I don't really know.

You may want to note that the post you quoted was almost 7 years old.

But the Black Tag Butterfly Viscaria I had sure felt like it had a balsa core. Did it? I don't know. I thought it did. Seeing how Butterfly listed the blade back then confirmed what I thought I felt from the core.

But I could have been wrong. I did not like the Viscaria I had and sold it. But I have felt other Viscarias that definitely did not feel like they had a balsa core and I am pretty sure what you list (koto-ALC-limba-kiri-limba-ALC-Koto) are the plies of a Viscaria. Did the Viscaria ever have a Balsa Core? I don't know. But I do know, for sure, for years, Butterfly listed on their websites that Viscaria had a Balsa core.

So, if at some point some or all Viscarias had a Balsa core, the question would be, when did that stop. When did it become a blade with a Kiri core. And since I am not sure if it ever had a Balsa core or not, all I can say is, the Viscaria I had and sold felt like it had a Balsa core and for years Butterfly listed the Viscaria as having a Balsa core.

Last edited:
I think this is Primorac Carbon: Butterfly Primorac Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

I think the carbon in the Primorac Carbon is Tamca 5000 Carbon but I could be wrong.

I have a Primorac Carbon and you are correct, the Carbon is indeed Tamca 5000.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews

Is the center core Kiri or is it Balsa .. ? Once again, I I've always been under the impression that Gergley & Primorac have a balsa core ..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews