A-Gold's new Spielzeug

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
does the nails spoils the intended weight distribution for the blade when it was made? or is the blade naturally head heavy?

That is a very valid question. It is the same question I ask myself about modern blades that seem to be lacking in low balance, lacking in solid impact feel, and a kind of vibration frequency I prefer.

The manufacturers all asked themselves the same question to when the feedback from the market showed that users wanted lighter blades and manufacturers were very keen to deviler that with several entirely new generations of blade design.

The realistic results you get from making the handle hollow over 1/2 to 2/3 of its with and at least 1/2 its length is threefold...

1) A large reduction in total weight of the blade. On average, it saves 5-10 grams. This allows the maker to use a little heavier ot thicker version of heavy wood. That gives the maker a little leeway in making a blade that fits the intended weight range.

2) Moving weight balance forward. This is a big marketing boon for hte makers, yet it is half consumer driven too. Personally, I do not like that feeling, it wears you out a lot, MUCH more than if I added 30 grams down low to the blade.

3) Making handle hollow allows the blade to have more vibration and lower speed. This allows makers to use faster materials without making the overall speed of the blade too fast. That can be both good and bad.

Now I list the IMPROVEMENTS I get from filling in and re-enforcing the empty hollow area of the blade handle.

1) Immediate improvement in balance. Much easier to accellerate the bat. Much easier to generate bat speed in a hurry.

2) Improvement in impact feel. You can really feel the difference. Vibrations feel more direct and solid. I like that feel.

3) Improvement in TOP END gear. This mod changes an ALL+ to an upper OFF- range. Allround Evolution is now what Carl jokingly (but correctly) says is an OFFENSIVE Evolution.

4) Improvement in SOLID feel at impact. Hollow blades feel... well HOLLOW and not good

5) Improvement in my mood.

You be your own judge and ask yourselves the hard questions about your setup and your game.

This user has no status.
That is a very valid question. It is the same question I ask myself about modern blades that seem to be lacking in low balance, lacking in solid impact feel, and a kind of vibration frequency I prefer.

The manufacturers all asked themselves the same question to when the feedback from the market showed that users wanted lighter blades and manufacturers were very keen to deviler that with several entirely new generations of blade design.

The realistic results you get from making the handle hollow over 1/2 to 2/3 of its with and at least 1/2 its length is threefold...

1) A large reduction in total weight of the blade. On average, it saves 5-10 grams. This allows the maker to use a little heavier ot thicker version of heavy wood. That gives the maker a little leeway in making a blade that fits the intended weight range.

2) Moving weight balance forward. This is a big marketing boon for hte makers, yet it is half consumer driven too. Personally, I do not like that feeling, it wears you out a lot, MUCH more than if I added 30 grams down low to the blade.

3) Making handle hollow allows the blade to have more vibration and lower speed. This allows makers to use faster materials without making the overall speed of the blade too fast. That can be both good and bad.

Now I list the IMPROVEMENTS I get from filling in and re-enforcing the empty hollow area of the blade handle.

1) Immediate improvement in balance. Much easier to accellerate the bat. Much easier to generate bat speed in a hurry.

2) Improvement in impact feel. You can really feel the difference. Vibrations feel more direct and solid. I like that feel.

3) Improvement in TOP END gear. This mod changes an ALL+ to an upper OFF- range. Allround Evolution is now what Carl jokingly (but correctly) says is an OFFENSIVE Evolution.

4) Improvement in SOLID feel at impact. Hollow blades feel... well HOLLOW and not good

5) Improvement in my mood.

You be your own judge and ask yourselves the hard questions about your setup and your game.

Yea so basically it IS made to be head heavy in the first place. And that answered alot of the questions i have in my head just now haha.

Still leaves me with one important question. Why nails? wont it be abit shaky when the vibrations come into play and ruin the feeling of the blade?

You could melt some lead in there but I think there are some health issues occuring. As for my blade my hands would shake so much to do that to my TSP blade that i would destroy it :D. I could add weight on my old joola blade but as i told i had to glue it because the handle broke so it will be hard to unstuck it again i guess.. That brick blades seem STRONG :rolleyes:

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yea so basically it IS made to be head heavy in the first place. And that answered alot of the questions i have in my head just now haha. Wiilaim - Hey Cake, I feel the stuff (concepts) are pretty simple. Don't let nails get in ur head... they hurt... and you will encounter problems when you go through Airport Security

Still leaves me with one important question. Why nails? wont it be abit shaky when the vibrations come into play and ruin the feeling of the blade?

Actually, it doesn't shake, I filled in all the space with glue. The nails (sometimes I use paperclips when I want to add "less" more weight.

Think concrete. Have you ever seen any company build a concrete road or use concrete on a building? The lay down a grid of iron rods (called Rubarb) then they pour concrete over the rods. The iron rods serve to re-enforce the concrete to make the structure stronger. I use the same concept. I guess if I really want to add "less" more weight, I could have used broken off toothpicks. The Beast I re-built ended up being 30 grams heavier and it still didn't feel heavy in balance and it never felt heavy when i swing it. I played 4 straight matches with it and had zero strain on wrist or arm. That is remarkable since I rarely play TT and I am not in TT shape, like I was in Korea.

The ammount of weight I add depends on how hollow the blade and handle was to begin with. My objectives vary based on how the blade feels on a swing, how it feels at impact, how lacking in power it might be, and how it badly vibrates at impact. These are the factors I consider when deciding if, and how much, and what kind of re-enforement I use.

For example, the Stiga Allround Evolution was SERIOUSLY hollow. You coulda shouted down that big gap and you would have heard your echo. Plus, it is not such a fast top end speed and the sucker vibrates entirely too much. Such a blade requires a lot of re-enforcement and totally fill in empty space.

Another example was the Sparticus in this thread. I was already a pretty solid feeling blade with decent balance, it didn't need a whole lot of extra weight, a lot less would work great for it. It vibrated, but not crazy earthquake-like. I also had to be concerned about A-Gold too, as buff as the lad is for a lad, I don't think his coach wants him to operate a bat that could double as a fearsome Blunt Instrument Bludgeon that would disable a Beserker Viking in one blow to the head.

As for being shaky... ANDRO with a purpose made a few SHAKY blades... the Kinetic series. They thought it would be really novel idea that no one on the market yet did (true, no one did it) (Hey Dummy, there was a reason for that Andro !!) so they decided to hollow out hte handle and 1/2 fill it up with some crap that would roll around and move as you swing it. You could feel it and a little balance shift on your swing, that moving stuff inside was supposed to use your kinetic energy of the swing to change the balance and "Dynamically" shift teh force forward, which many TT customers in modern times have quasi demanded of the market.

Then you had manufacturers (Andro and Nittaku I think) (Super Core) or (Super Cell Core) hollow out the handle and fill it with very light stuff like compressed foam, kinda like the stuff you use to seal window frames when you build a house and need to seal off air entering house.

Manufacturers have been listening to consumers and have also been very keen to invent and innovate, some for good reasons and good results, some for simply making something new to market, usually at a higher price and a lower cost to make.

Therin lies my smart-aleck answer is that very often, it is the chasing of money that drives all this in industry. The art of Business is to convince someone (like Billions of someone) that they absolutely NEED something that the compnay has created a WANT or Desire.

TT players at first when they get into the game are the absolute extreme most stingiest Grinch-Like Misers on the entire planet. They want to spend minimum money, often ZERO money on their equipment and expect to perform and have fun. We all know it doesn't work out that way. Then on the other end of the rainbow, you have the EJ crowd. (Equipment Junkie) They crave new equipment more than a drug addict craves illegal drugs. EJs will buy new equipment because they never tried it and they will buy it, try it, and own it the rest of their life until their Pirate Chest of TT equipment is worth (in new retail price) more than a Pirate's Buried Treasure Chest !!! Then, when they tried it all, they will try whatever the industry churns out.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl, the Sparticus and Red Nexy Bat/Ball Case should arrive Wednesday. If you hear someone ringing your bell a little crazy, it isn't the Ukranian Mafia sending a hit team to wipe you out. They already know about the trap door trick you got setup right where you hit the buzzer to ask to get in. They were watching your Stakout House #13 the last time you used that trick on the Philly branch of the Mafia who were nieve enough to fall for that... right into the basement of your building you are using as a septic tank... for the entire 20 story building.

Please be courteous to the postman and dont sent him on a trip sliding down into some shyt. ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"I....am....Sparticus!"

It has arrived at the secret hideout. I can attest to the fact that, in my hand, I can feel that, the weight is in the handle and you will get really nice whipping action because of the way the weight is now distributed in this racket:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now Abe and I will have to figure out a venue. I may be able to get it to him this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 214
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What did U do to it Carl? That sucker looks better than when I sent it !!

Don't know if Abe will like the rubbers that are on that thing, (he will like 999 on Quattro, but Tuttle BJ IV is up in the air)

Carl, you got a used sheet of Omega IV doing nothing you could toss a bone to the kid? Or maybe he could peel off the sheet of Aurus on hte Der_Echte Special I left with him last time, I know that rubber works great on that blade. Omea IV should work super too, or he can swap his Tenergy to it, all those rubbers will work great on Sprarticus.

Now we gotta watch Abe and make sure his chest doesnt grow any larger than 48 inches... I aint worried about all the foreign spies trying to get the Sparticus from him, those guys would be fools to try to mess with Abe. if Abe doesn't crush 'em by his own self, the jokers will have the entire NYC population after then and all of TTD. Only a foolish terrorist would go against those odds.

Reactions: agold
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually, all I did to it was take it out of the box and take a photo. Perhaps it is that it is on a nice antique wood dresser. The wood looks very nice and makes everything around it look better.

My guess is that Abe is going to put H3 on FH and T80 or some other Tenergy version on his backhand. I personally have to admit, I don't love the Beijing Tutle rubber. But the Globe 999 is okay, actually pretty decent.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The 999 topsheet over a good sponge is a fallback reliable rubber 1/2 tacky. That thing will do every stroke well, not exceptional, but EVERY stroke well. In humid summer, this rubber will perform where rubbers like Tenergy and other modern rubbers will collect moisture and be a slippery fail.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I bought 4 sheets of the Tuttle when it was on sale by US distributor for $10 a sheet and I tried it out to see for myself it it would work for me. XP 2008 is still better on BH wing, but I tossed the tuttle out there to see if abe liked it or not. If he hates on it, he can move that rubber to a $3.58 Wallmart SP bat (after he rips of the SP) and let a school buddy use it as a bargain bat that is still way better than crappy premade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The trick was, I started by letting the Philly guys find a stockpile of old used rubbers. Then when I pulled the switch on the trap door, they sunk like a rock into that septic tank. Weighed down by H3 and Blue Whale they could not float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So I went to visit AGold at Wang Chen's Club and brought the Sparticus to pass on to him:

attachment.php

Then something happened and I wasn't ready to give up the Sparticus:

attachment.php

A tug of war ensued:

attachment.php

Abe won out in the end and wrestled the Sparticus from me:

attachment.php

Then the goon squad caught on to what was going on and we both had to hightail it out of there. They almost caught us but we were a bit to smart for them and gave them the slip in the end. To bad we couldn't get to the hideout and try the elevator trick on them.

Attachments

• Sparticus 1.jpg
    Sparticus 1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Sparticus 2.jpg
    Sparticus 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Sparticus 2.jpg
    Sparticus 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Sparticus 2.jpg
    Sparticus 2.jpg