Back to Forum
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    says TableTennisDaily 2.0 is now live!!!

Administrator 4,171 6,776
    says TableTennisDaily 2.0 is now live!!!

Administrator 6,776 4,171

TT Ball change after 2012 Olympics!

Its officials. The ball will change after the 2012 Olympics due to celluloid being taken out of the production of the table tennis ball.

Any Chinese Translators more then welcome

Originally posted by Propositions to AGM BoD 2011-Results3

F - Proposed by the Executive Committee - PASSED

The ITTF Executive Committee and the Equipment Committee shall request from Ball Manufacturers to produce 40mm non-celluloid balls after the 2012 Olympic Games, in preparation for the total ban of celluloid production by national governments around the world, and the Equipment Committee shall adjust the Technical Leaflet in terms of description of the new material and tolerances.

Information regarding the material and playing characteristics is unclear, though PVC was once listed in earlier revision of the propositions that has since been removed. What is currently known is that the ball is made out of one single piece, thus eliminating the seam once and for all. Kudos to DHS and DFish for managing the feat. The new ball will also come with a slight increase in diameter between 40mm and 40.60mm as opposed to 39.50mm and 40.50mm.

22 - Proposed by the Equipment Committee - PASSED

To modify Technical Leaflet T3, The Ball (B.3 Size conformity); only
    applying to balls not made of celluloid

The minimum diameter of every ball must be at least 39.50mm 40.00mm and its maximum diameter must not exceed 40.50mm 40.60mm. The sample mean average diameter, i.e. the mean of the average of the maximum and minimum diameters for each ball, must be in the range 39.60-40.40mm 40.00-40.50mm. Values below 39.25mm 39.70mm or above 40.75mm are considered in our calculations as outliers.

Section above taken from http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/

Will this change effect TT... Be assured that the price will go up

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 2 170
    K
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 170 2

User Info Menu

Feb 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    I will wait for the final decision but I was wondering is mr sharara a former table tennis player? Was he any good? Does he know what table tennis is about? He gives me the impression that he doesnt know much about the sport and just wants to end the chinese dominance in a wrong way.

How about more money for eureopean players to have the best practice there is and stop changing the game so much?

I understand what he is trying to do, but I think he forgets about the millions of other players who are not professional and are playing just for fun who has to adapt over and over again to all these changes.
    It becomes more and more expensive aswell, but all pro's have sponsors but "normal" players dont have that.

Table tennis has become so expensive the last few years, I even spent more money on a blade and rubbers than I spent on my tennis racquet which has triple the size. I'm seriously thinking of finding a new sport and keep table tennis just as a hobby.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 5 499
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 499 5

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 0 Reviews
    I mean, table tennis really should be far cheaper than tennis. A good racquet can last you for years, and even the rubber if you take care of it can last for a good 3-4 years. Judging that you are in a table tennis forum, you probably are more serious about tt than tennis, and therefore maybe are willing to spend more on it. But tennis balls are way more expensive, usually its hard to find a free public court to play on, and also you have to string your racquet every once in a while which can be expensive.

The good thing about table tennis is that its a sport that really works your hand eye coordination, your reflexes, your brain, and because you can play it into your old age, it really is quite beneficial to your health for your entire life. Very few other sports can really say that. I can't really think of that many other sports that can provide the total package of benefit for an entire life time that table tennis does, except probably swimming.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 15 576
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 576 15
    damn i think this will affect my ball feeling,,,, expensive balls are making me insane

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 9
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 0

User Info Menu

I cannot make any technical comment about this issue. But I believe, let's give this thing a chance. We don't know this one might be better than the ball that we are using at present. If the blades and rubbers are upgrading, why not with the ball.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 123 1,880
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,880 123

User Info Menu

Well if I see this, it seems like the change of material is a result of the fact that no more celluloid will be produced in the future. "Celluloid is banned in most of the world. If there is no mor celluloid, there will be no more pingpong balls." So this is not really Sharara's choice I think, it's just something inevitable that ball manufacturers get to deal with. They have to find new materials that will create a ball similar to the celluloid ones. I hope this won't affect play too much.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 2 116
    J
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 116 2

User Info Menu

Dec 2010
    Belgium
    Read 0 Reviews
    First the glue, than balls, next is that we will all have to play hardbat

We'll all get used to this..

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 150 2,988
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,988 150

User Info Menu

Mar 2011
    Indonesia
    Read 1 Reviews
    They ban celluloid ?
    Prepare for the price rise ! Maybe they will use diamond instead :P

No problem though, will adapt quickly !
    GFoT |Blade : Timo Boll ALC • FH : DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial MAX • BH : Tenergy 64 MAX
    Crossover to Takeover!

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 1
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

May 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hardbat rocks.

This user has no status.

K
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Feb 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by poltery
    damn i think this will affect my ball feeling,,,, expensive balls are making me insane
    Me aswell, In my club we play with the 3 stars joola competition balls on training and in competition. But I can train like 2 weeks with it and I have to buy a new one, its insane. I like the nittaku balls better but they are more expensive.

This user has no status.

K
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Feb 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PongPing
    I cannot make any technical comment about this issue. But I believe, let's give this thing a chance. We don't know this one might be better than the ball that we are using at present. If the blades and rubbers are upgrading, why not with the ball.
    Yes indeed and maybe the new material will make the ball go faster at least I hope it does.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 150 2,988
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,988 150

User Info Menu

Mar 2011
    Indonesia
    Read 1 Reviews
    Hope the new ball aid the defenders !
    Who knows the new material will have much less wind friction, making it similar to 38mm ball
    GFoT |Blade : Timo Boll ALC • FH : DHS Hurricane 3 Provincial MAX • BH : Tenergy 64 MAX
    Crossover to Takeover!

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 137 888
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 888 137

User Info Menu

Hope the new ball will have exactly the same attributes like the celluloid one but this is almost impossible ....

says I'm BACK! :D

Moderator 1,201 2,479
    says I'm BACK! :D

Moderator 2,479 1,201
    Yea I'm with everyone else I hope the difference isn't too major, one ball change was enuf! :P
    Pro Table Tennis Coaching Blog at - MHTableTennis

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 3 102
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 102 3

User Info Menu

Feb 2011
    Read 0 Reviews
    WHAT's Next? Damn it
    Ma Long!! Chookie

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 4 234
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 234 4
    i was talking to a guy in my club about this and he said in china it was 3 pound a ball in english money its gonna be expensive!

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 237 790
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 790 237
    This is just stupid, why cant the ITTF just leave this game alone? Let the better players be the best, and we that are not on top should practise hard to get there, not change the rules every time Europe doesnt win a big trophy. This is kinda "table tennis-communism/facism" or something, why are they doing this???
    Don't hesitate. If you want to reach your goal, just go for it!

This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 49
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 49 7
    Hopefully it won't play much different else it will suck but I also think it could be a good thing if it makes balls last longer from taking away the seam, which is the bit where the ball cracks the most.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 47
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 47 10

User Info Menu

Im not sure how much a ball change will effect my game i was't playing when they changed to 40 mm. but i hope it doesn't change it that much other then the ball not breaking as easy i don't think it needs to.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,421 3,681
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,681 4,421
    don't think the size is much different though, just probably because of the possible variability in the production process of non-seam balls they are just mentioning limits of variation ... about the rest we will only get to know when it comes to our hands .... but if this is again a nexus between ittf and companies to increase profit margins ... its a shame !!! ITTF just needs to concentrate on making the game more popular than how to make manufactures richer !
    Lets go Spinny Looping !

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast