Float serving

This user has no status.
A float serve is just a backspin serve but then without the backspin. So it looks like a backspin serve and when your opponent tries to push the serve the ball will pop up and you have an oppertunity to gat a strong forehand in.

I use this serve alot. I most of the time serve with backspin but I have 3 variations;

-No Spin

-Average Spin

-Heavy Spin

So sometimes the opponent pushes the ball and the ball pups op, sometimes it goes low over the net and sometimes it goes into the net.

I also have another tip on this serve; Stomp when contacting the ball (it doesnt has to be too loud like some do). Because you can hear the difference of the serves. A float serve will sound more flat and a heavy backspin serve will sound very thin.

This user has no status.
if you want to make a heavy backspin serve, try to get the ball when hitting on the higher part of your bat, because the bat is moving faster there, so you will get a bigger amount of spin. also, pay attention to your wrist movement, because it's perhaps the most important. a fast wrist movement will allow you to make serves with a great amount of backspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Could anyone explain or point me in the right direction of how to get some advice on float serving?

Cheers!

Basically, if you don't brush the ball during serving, and instead tap the ball flat, then the result will be float. Of course, you need to keep it low, otherwise it will be killed. If you want to add deception to the serve, and be able to serve both spinny and floating balls with a similar motion, then the key thing is to contact the ball as close to the handle as possible when going for a float serve. Stomping your foot during the serve also helps, as noted above, to suppress the sound of the ball contacting the bat, and thus make it harder for your opponent.

says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
I use it in two types.
1. From pendulum movement with push
Just like doing a pendulum serve with chop, I turn the blade to push the ball forward while doing the follow through movement of the chop. This actually gives the ball a little backspin, so much, that actually the emblem is facing the same way when the ball travels to my opponent. So absolutely no spin and the normal flat hit recieve will land in the net.

2. Tomahawk impression
You may do it with a big tomahawk chop swing. But you must practice a fine touch not to eventually chop the ball. Stand infront of your opponent so they wont see when your bat is coming down that you actually pushed the ball with a tiny chop and they will chop it high or off the table.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Basically, if you don't brush the ball during serving, and instead tap the ball flat, then the result will be float. Of course, you need to keep it low, otherwise it will be killed. If you want to add deception to the serve, and be able to serve both spinny and floating balls with a similar motion, then the key thing is to contact the ball as close to the handle as possible when going for a float serve. Stomping your foot during the serve also helps, as noted above, to suppress the sound of the ball contacting the bat, and thus make it harder for your opponent.

Beware though of opponents like me who will refuse to carry on if you start stomping !

JHB

No problem, after all, it is your decision to forfeit the match, not mine.

You don't feel that - on the whole - it's better to win by skill ? It's far too easy to fall into bad habits, or at least anti-social habits. The other day I started deliberately performing illegal services because everyone else on the table (doubles game) was already doing it. I didn't feel at all good about it afterwards, I felt I'd sunk to their level :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
You don't feel that - on the whole - it's better to win by skill ? It's far too easy to fall into bad habits, or at least anti-social habits. The other day I started deliberately performing illegal services because everyone else on the table (doubles game) was already doing it. I didn't feel at all good about it afterwards, I felt I'd sunk to their level :(

Being able to vary levels of spin using identically looking serve motions in such a way that the opponent is unable to correctly judge the amount of spin without hearing the sound of ball contact is the very definition of skill. As far I am aware, there is nothing in ITTF rules that prohibits stomping the foot to hide the sound of ball contact with the bat. Also, what do you do when playing at a noisy venue? Do you call a let because someone shouted at the table next to yours just when your opponent served and you did not hear the sound?

I understand where you're coming from, but all I can recommend is to learn other ways to determine the spin of the incoming serve. Watch the ball trajectory on the table, how it bounces, etc. That's what I (and many others) did.

JHB

Being able to vary levels of spin using identically looking serve motions in such a way that the opponent is unable to correctly judge the amount of spin without hearing the sound of ball contact is the very definition of skill. As far I am aware, there is nothing in ITTF rules that prohibits stomping the foot to hide the sound of ball contact with the bat. Also, what do you do when playing at a noisy venue? Do you call a let because someone shouted at the table next to yours just when your opponent served and you did not hear the sound?

I understand where you're coming from, but all I can recommend is to learn other ways to determine the spin of the incoming serve. Watch the ball trajectory on the table, how it bounces, etc. That's what I (and many others) did.

Ah no I think I came across wrong there ! What I object to is the sound stamping makes on a suspended wooden floor - it's like an explosion, it's so loud I can't even hear the ball hit the table never mind the bat. TBH my hearing isn't good enough to hear ball-on-bat unless it's hit hard. You're right, I don't call a let when someone on the next table is loud, I just shout something sarcastic after our point is finished. We're already having lets every third rally because other players can't keep their balls off our table (oo-er missus.)