What did you learn in 2014?

says Aging is a killer
One of the things that keeps the interest in TT is that the sport is constantly changing in tactics and approach to strokes. We as amateurs are constantly learning new things and discarding others. This thread is about what you learned in 2014 that you now incorporate into your regular game.
For me, it was about, Serve Receive.
In 2014 I realised that most young advanced players these days, when receiving serve, take the ball very early off the bounce. (Maybe it was ZJK that started this as he receives serve with his bat resting on the table) It is a more risky way of receiving serve but when I tried it I realised that the big advantage is that, the server is now under pressure to execute his planned 3rd ball as the ball is returned to him so much quicker.
Izra, in the thread about ‘Looping backspin balls’ explained the mechanics by saying that players should “keep the bat moving in one plain and use your (RELAXED!) wrist and forearm to rotate the bat around the point that is somewhere around your wrist area”. This basically is what I’m now trying to achieve.
Did you have a “Eureka!” moment in 2014, and now use that tactic or stroke in your regular game?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
I only started a year and a half ago, but the latest thing I learned in 2014 (and am still practicing) is the banana flip! It's incredibly useful for aggressively returning serves, and I hope to master it before I go to compete in the spring semester.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 9 reviews
What I have improved the most must be my serve, I have practice a lot of services and I think it has improved my game a lot. I can really recommend you guys to practice as much serve as you can, I think many players forgets its importance.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I learned that 2014 was a great year to TALK about TT, but not really do any of it given my isolated location. 1.5 hrs drive one way to get to a once a week club for 2 hrs hit just isn't worth the doing. I played maybe once a month if I waz lucky.

2o15 is gunna shape up teh same way for the first half of it anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I learned a lot in 2014. I had to to get better. I think the biggest thing that I learned that I didn't know beforehand was the value of serve instruction. If you can, take lessons in how to serve properly. It is at least as valuable as all those lessons in forehand looping etc. From a great instructor (like Brett Clarke of ttedge), it will bring so much focus to your practice that your game will become confident and radically different.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I learned a lot in 2014. I had to to get better. I think the biggest thing that I learned that I didn't know beforehand was the value of serve instruction. If you can, take lessons in how to serve properly. It is at least as valuable as all those lessons in forehand looping etc. From a great instructor (like Brett Clarke of ttedge), it will bring so much focus to your practice that your game will become confident and radically different.

I must have written this on TT forums hundreds of times, but back when i was basically a recreational player TT player wannabe... I was stuck between back and forth to Iraq and a zone in USA with zero TT within 100 miles drive. My level obviously did not improve, it even finall declined some. That is where I met Bogeyhunter in person. I knew him from the forums. At the time, he was my current level and he got me going on the road to improving serving. Not just overall improvement, but serving with a purpose, the 3rd ball and controlling options. Learning how to keep it low tight, changing spin, difficult to tell spin, changing after motions.

I practiced 3-5 minutes a day in a roemote Army camp in Iraq wee in the rec trailer we had a table but no players and no one willing to do nothing but bat a ball around. Since TT tabel was in same open room trailer as the IP phones where people called back home, I had to keep my practice really short. All those bouncing balls could get loud. Sometimes i would go there at midnight, but that is also popular time to call home, so 3-5 miuntes was the balance to keep the peace.

That ONE YEAR of jsut a few minutes of practice raised my game an entire level from mid 1400s to low 1600s, then I went to Korea and had a blast there 4 years.

I cannot support enough Next Level's point about serve practice and raising level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
Oh Crap, Nexy Level is in the house !! There goes the neighborhood !!

hehe, if anyone doesn't know Next Level from around the TT forums, you are soon going to get to know him. Just try to stop him anyone. :)

Glad to see another multi-forumer at TTD.

I think i have a pretty good idea of how he deals with people,especially when arguing a point:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah, take a similar mental approach to every point. IMO, it's even more important when you have a big lead. Some people relax too much when they are up 10-6 and have their two serves. They forget that if it gets to 10-8, their opponents gets two serves. As I've gotten better, I've realized that better players don't just miss - you have to make them make good shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I realized I like to be the one who be 0-2 or 1-2 and make a come back during any practice match. But also know that i had to keep tense myself if i am leading for deciding match.

However, i found that i do not like to play competition much as it just make up all my workout routine, schedule and progress. After each competition, it took me at least another month to get back where my workout progress suppose to be before the competition, due to the reason that i had to reduce workout load during competition to avoid over training.