Your tip/s for cutting rubbers neatly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
My tip is:

1)get the outline of the blade face size.

2)add an extra 1-2 mm for shrinkage allowance.

3)Cut it out.

4)apply the glue to both rubber and blade

5)Allow glue to dry,then stick it together.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 01022015.jpg
    01022015.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 01022015(001).jpg
    01022015(001).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 962
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have successfully used anything from $.50 kids scissors to perforated utility blade to medics scissors designed to cut through your combat uniform to get access to wounds quickly. The scissors all work if you follow the principle of short cuts and control deep in your scissors is where you make the short cuts. the utility blade you snap one off for fresh blade and press hard and cut around in one shot. Korean coaches use this method and their knife costs under $2 in the cheepo section and can do 100 bats with 5 lengths of blade inclusiv.

To get the overhang, I use the scissors method and you just use your eyes and hand and be calm, but decisive. Really difficult to do the overhang using exacto blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
After seeing the coach at a club that I used to play at (until it went out of business) cut sheet after sheet of rubber like a machine with a scissor, and how it took him moments and came out perfectly every time, I decided that if you have cut enough sheets a scissor works fastest and well. Until you have done it enough times the scissor feels awkward. I used to use an X-acto knife until I decided I just had to get used to using scissors. Now scissors are easy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I got a pair of $.50 Kid's scissors in my orange Nexy bag (Carl saw it and thought I waz a lady Bowler haha) along with glue, rubbers, edge tape and everything to service a bat.

You would be surprised at how well a 50 cent piece of scissors works, but I agree with Haggisv, the ultimate cut is from fresh box cutter blade and experience. Still, I can do a very pro job with the scissors and I use edge tape, so you cannot tell difference.

Doesn't matter after a few weeks as all modern rubber will begin to chip at the edges anyway and you get/make battle damage as you use Ur bat.

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
So you first cut then glue??

I use box cutter type blades and cut once glued on.
One of the neatest in the country was the feedback I got.
No, I think most of us glue first, then cut. If the knife is sharp the cut is usually perfect.
If you cut first before glueing, then the alignment is too hard to get perfect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No, I think most of us glue first, then cut. If the knife is sharp the cut is usually perfect.
If you cut first before glueing, then the alignment is too hard to get perfect.

OP: Cut first, apply glue second, then stick together.....

3)Cut it out.

4)apply the glue to both rubber and blade

5)Allow glue to dry,then stick it together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding OP (if my understanding is correct), I know one coach who does this (old school Jpen player from Taiwan).
I tried it out and didn't like it - I think with Jpen blade, it is easier to align. But agree, any round cpen or sh is near impossible to align properly.

Obviously for own use, it doesn't matter, but for us shops, alignment is 100% important.
If I make any mistake, I will eat the cost and give customer a new sheet.

This user has no status.
I can make a perfect cut with a stanley knife and a reasonably new blade. However, since I try to keep a bit of rubber overhang, I often end up using scissors.
The overhang helps with shrinkage when I reglue / stick rubbers on my spade blade, and (at least in my mind) help protect the blade as the first thing that is hit is the rubber (which gets changed), not the blade.