Who will win the 2015 WTTC?

Who Will Win The 2015 Men's World Table Tennis Championships?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • Fan Zhandong

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Chuang Chih-Yuan

• Timo Boll

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Koki Niwa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I read the whole thread and now I think I have to hand out my opinion. :) :D

This WTTC will be very exciting!

My prediction:
Ma Long: 30 %
Zhang Jike: 35 %
Fan Zhendong: 14 %
Xu Xin: 20 %
rest: 1 %

Ma Long:
Everyone knows his potential and his relentless topspins from every corner of the box. But will he break through and become a World Champion?
I don't think a non-chinese player can beat him but the competition within the chinese team is very fierce. I can not even say who would be his favourite opponent in the semifinal? Maybe Xu Xin or FZD? Most of the times he wins against them but it's always a very tough battle. If the opponent is on fine form he will have rough trot. It's no clear win.
Against Zhang Jike it will be a very close battle, 45% to 55%. A very close defeat at the 2014 World Cup and a win in the decider at the German Open. I hope the German Open showed him(self) he is able to and can win against Zhang Jike in tight matches.
I pray Ma Long will win this WTTC ... he deserved it and it will save his spot for the olympics in the singles. And I am the biggest Ma Long fan. Watch my Youtube channel. Around 6 Ma Long tributes :D

Zhang Jike:
The man of the big moments. But can he repeat it in Suzhou? In my point of view he only has two "real" opponents: His head (Does he really want it? Will he be hungry enough?) and Ma Long.
Against Xu Xin and FZD he will relatively clear (4-1 or 4-2). I remember the match against Xu Xin at 2013 WTTC. Xu Xin was in top form but Zhang Jike just overpowered him. Instead of Ma Long (more forehand orientated), Zhang Jike is too allround for Xu Xin. I can imagine how Zhang just stands there and block XX to hell.
Against Fan Zhendong it's almost the same. If Zhang Jike wants to he wins against him. Period.
More experience and somehow his playing style suits against FZD.
Against Ma Long I expect a tight battle. Form of the day, luck, the right decisions on serve and receive and mental toughness will decide this match. Slightly advantage on ZJK
Losing against a non-chinese player is unlikely.

Fan Zhendong:
For me he can be the dark horse of the Top 4. His favourite opponent in the semifinal is propably Ma Long. He won quit a lot against him in the last time. But he will be the underdog in this match up.
Against Xu Xin he made some bad experiences in the past. Winning at Pro Tours but osing in the final at the Asian Games and Asian Cup. He will be in the psychological disadvantage against him and Xu Xin knows how to use it.
Match up against Zhang Jike? I just can not imagine a win of the youngster.
For me he is the most likely to lose against a non-chinese player. He just has some ups and downs in his perfomance because he is so young. He lost two matches in the team event of the Asian Games against unknown players. Boll, Freitas, Dima can beat him.
But maybe he can give the lie to me and destroy all my doubts.

Xu Xin:
He can't lose to non-chinese players. When did it happen the last time? I can't remember. But against chinese players? It looks very different.
He has an advantage against FZD, disadvantage against Ma Long and almost no chance against ZJK. You can read more about him in the parts of the other players. :)

Captain Long to the win!

(I would be proud if just one person will read my text.)

Greets,
BollForte94

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I read the whole thread and now I think I have to hand out my opinion. :) :D

This WTTC will be very exciting!

My prediction:
Ma Long: 30 %
Zhang Jike: 35 %
Fan Zhendong: 14 %
Xu Xin: 20 %
rest: 1 %

Ma Long:
Everyone knows his potential and his relentless topspins from every corner of the box. But will he break through and become a World Champion?
I don't think a non-chinese player can beat him but the competition within the chinese team is very fierce. I can not even say who would be his favourite opponent in the semifinal? Maybe Xu Xin or FZD? Most of the times he wins against them but it's always a very tough battle. If the opponent is on fine form he will have rough trot. It's no clear win.
Against Zhang Jike it will be a very close battle, 45% to 55%. A very close defeat at the 2014 World Cup and a win in the decider at the German Open. I hope the German Open showed him(self) he is able to and can win against Zhang Jike in tight matches.
I pray Ma Long will win this WTTC ... he deserved it and it will save his spot for the olympics in the singles. And I am the biggest Ma Long fan. Watch my Youtube channel. Around 6 Ma Long tributes :D

Zhang Jike:
The man of the big moments. But can he repeat it in Suzhou? In my point of view he only has two "real" opponents: His head (Does he really want it? Will he be hungry enough?) and Ma Long.
Against Xu Xin and FZD he will relatively clear (4-1 or 4-2). I remember the match against Xu Xin at 2013 WTTC. Xu Xin was in top form but Zhang Jike just overpowered him. Instead of Ma Long (more forehand orientated), Zhang Jike is too allround for Xu Xin. I can imagine how Zhang just stands there and block XX to hell.
Against Fan Zhendong it's almost the same. If Zhang Jike wants to he wins against him. Period.
More experience and somehow his playing style suits against FZD.
Against Ma Long I expect a tight battle. Form of the day, luck, the right decisions on serve and receive and mental toughness will decide this match. Slightly advantage on ZJK
Losing against a non-chinese player is unlikely.

Fan Zhendong:
For me he can be the dark horse of the Top 4. His favourite opponent in the semifinal is propably Ma Long. He won quit a lot against him in the last time. But he will be the underdog in this match up.
Against Xu Xin he made some bad experiences in the past. Winning at Pro Tours but osing in the final at the Asian Games and Asian Cup. He will be in the psychological disadvantage against him and Xu Xin knows how to use it.
Match up against Zhang Jike? I just can not imagine a win of the youngster.
For me he is the most likely to lose against a non-chinese player. He just has some ups and downs in his perfomance because he is so young. He lost two matches in the team event of the Asian Games against unknown players. Boll, Freitas, Dima can beat him.
But maybe he can give the lie to me and destroy all my doubts.

Xu Xin:
He can't lose to non-chinese players. When did it happen the last time? I can't remember. But against chinese players? It looks very different.
He has an advantage against FZD, disadvantage against Ma Long and almost no chance against ZJK. You can read more about him in the parts of the other players. :)

Captain Long to the win!

(I would be proud if just one person will read my text.)

Greets,
BollForte94

Excellent post BollForte. :) Also, good video example of ZJK vs FZD.

Last edited:
says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Also, ZJK and FZD are really using certain techniques that nobody else can do as well. Technically FZD may end up to be even better than ZJK but ZJK seems to have more sheer power and spin than anyone else.

I like watching Ma Long better because he is playing a flashier game that is more fun and entertaining to watch with those gigantic forehands. And only time will tell if he has the technique to handle ZJK and the way ZJK uses his backhand over the table from everywhere and then controls the points from the backhand side of the table. I hope he has. But until I see it, I will be afraid to be upset by watching ZJK win another WTTC.

I do hope someone, anyone, aside from ZJK can win and it would be nice if it was Ma Long.
So you just want ZJK to lose this one?
May i ask what is your problem with him?

I hope -and i'm sure- ZJK or ML will win the title.
Both of them deserve it: ML, because he always puts his heart in the game. ZJK, because he is fantastic to watch when he is on top form.
It doesn't really make a different to me whether ZJK or ML win the title.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So you just don't want ZJK to win this one?
May i ask what is your problem with him?

I hope -and i'm sure- ZJK or ML will win the title.
Both of them deserve it: ML, because he always puts his heart in the game. ZJK, because he is fantastic to watch when he is on top form.
It doesn't really make a different for me whether ZJK or ML win the title.

Well, I think, plain and simple, ZJK is better than everyone else but he usually does not show the sport much respect. I don't care about things like kicking signs. But I care that most tournaments he goes to, he doesn't even play half on. He plays worse against worse players and it looks like he is being disrespectful to them. He will be standing up instead of ready before the serve. It will look like he isn't paying attention. Sometimes it looks like he is going to fall asleep any minute. It is as if he is saying the other player doesn't even warrant his paying attention in the matches.

Being honest, I don't really care who wins, but if someone who wasn't from China could win it would be very cool and very good for the sport.

To compare Ma Long's attitude with Zhang Jike's: Ma Long always tries his hardest and plays his heart out no matter who he is playing and no matter whether he is on or off.

I don't like a lot of Ma Long fans. But I like Ma Long. Even though I don't think he is quite good enough, I still hope he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Well, I think, plain and simple, ZJK is better than everyone else but he usually does not show the sport much respect. I don't care about things like kicking signs. But I care that most tournaments he goes to, he doesn't even play half on. He plays worse against worse players and it looks like he is being disrespectful to them. He will be standing up instead of ready before the serve. It will look like he isn't paying attention. Sometimes it looks like he is going to fall asleep any minute. It is as if he is saying the other player doesn't even warrant his paying attention in the matches.

Being honest, I don't really care who wins, but if someone who wasn't from China could win it would be very cool and very good for the sport.

To compare Ma Long's attitude with Zhang Jike's: Ma Long always tries his hardest and plays his heart out no matter who he is playing and no matter whether he is on or off.

I don't like a lot of Ma Long fans. But I like Ma Long. Even though I don't think he is quite good enough, I still hope he is.

And that is why i vote for Ma Long regardless of ZJK rewards and achievements in big titles, and you are almost same my thought, i feel ZJK is like he wants to show off in big tournaments or titles and in another tours that not as important it is just a wasting time for him or his skills, i was going to choose him as #1, but with his behaving i even put him #3 or 4, honestly speaking, i always prefer to watch JSH playing matches over those ZJK off mood matches, the only time i will watch ZJK is when he is in semi final or the final in big titles where he is giving almost full potential, but if someone saw about his attitude and i saw that too it means it is there and i really don't like it, he should keep his record nice with different tours too, so what is the point if i for example i get 100% grade/degree/point in 3 subjects and i fail in 6 others or don't care about other subjects or let's say not serious about them?

I am no wondering that ZJK will reach the final or even get the title of WTTC then he will disappear until another big title.

This user has no status.
Being disrespectful to other players is very rude and of course I do not supporters the players who do it. But it is not only ZJK check the Xu xin matches in last sweden open while playing with lundqvist, he was playing more attention to other table even when he Lost two sets

From the top 5 or top 10 i vote mostly for ML and JM, and Samsonov if he is in top 10 now, those 3 playing very interesting and they play with heart and also focus on the game rather than something else, FZD is a great player but he is like giving up at the last meters of the titles, could be due to his less experience compared to others or he is still not match to over him players in Chinese team, but he can be the next player if he keep improving and developing his strategy then i can vote him too, ZJK and XX i really don't have much interest in their playing unless they really become serious and give their real strength.

Honestly speaking, there are players i like like to watch and vote for them, and there are some players i really feel boring or not that much interest to watch even they are in top 10 world ranking, so it is normal everywhere to see players many fans like them and another popular players who are maybe trouble makers or not giving their best either in their playing or their behavior attitude.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
It seems that you are only discussing the men's competition. What do you think about the women's? Is it perhaps less "open" than the men's? To me it seems that we have seen a few rising stars lately, Solja for example really impressed me. What about none chinese players? Feng Tianwei beat Liu Shiwen not long ago (I know she's "actually" chinese"). Does she stand a chans? What about Ishikawa? Or korean Seo Hyowon? Is there any european who stands a chans?

Cheers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I always think ZJK is the smarter guy among the top players. That is all too important a factor in shaping today's Grand Slam Champ. Not just out smart your opponent during the game but all the build up to big tournaments that counts. I can't help thinking ZJK was there to push ML to his limit in their last encounter for the sake of getting a fuller picture of his game, while ZJK was not revealing much of himself. I bet ZJK is developing a better plan just like how he developed a game to beat WH when WH was king. On the other hand ML is bearing all the pressure now. He had beaten ZJK with a strong heart to come back 1:3. No one expect him to lose this time. Let's hope they will meet in the final and making history.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I always think ZJK is the smarter guy among the top players. That is all too important a factor in shaping today's Grand Slam Champ. Not just out smart your opponent during the game but all the build up to big tournaments that counts. I can't help thinking ZJK was there to push ML to his limit in their last encounter for the sake of getting a fuller picture of his game, while ZJK was not revealing much of himself. I bet ZJK is developing a better plan just like how he developed a game to beat WH when WH was king. On the other hand ML is bearing all the pressure now. He had beaten ZJK with a strong heart to come back 1:3. No one expect him to lose this time. Let's hope they will meet in the final and making history.

ZJK definitely didn't reveal a lot during the Chinese trials when he lost to Ma Long but I felt that he really wanted to beat Ma Long in the finals of the German Open as it was a mini world championships. If Ma Long had lost, he would have a lot less confidence. A confident Ma Long is almost impossible to deal with.

I felt that ZJK played at 100% for the first 5-6 sets but then his back might have pained him to the extent of hampering his game.

I read some old threads here and there was a very nice analysis of how Wang Hao vs Ma Long in the 2013 WTTC was not some kind of mental breakdown on the part of Ma Long. Wang Hao used extremely smart tactics and Ma Long wasn't able to handle his serve in the first 3 sets. Afterwards, Ma Long started to launch a comeback but winning 4 sets in a row against any top player is close to impossible, especially under pressure.

Here is the post http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...y-Ma-Long-vs-Hao&p=58259&viewfull=1#post58259

This user has no status.
I believe it's gonna be a very exciting tournament with close encounters. I gave my vote to Ma Long, cause:
i) I notice that ML has worked his backhand a lot, thus not needing to step around with his FH all the time. That way he saves energy which is very important for a long and hard tournament and has a more versatile game,
ii) ZJK struggles with injuries all the time. If I was sure about his physical condition, I would still consider him as the most probable champion,
iii) I believe XX and FZD are one small step behind ML and ZJK in their overall quality, though I see XX as the underdog cause he has also worked his BH a lot and I think he plays more aggressively the last few months,
iv) I don't think a non-chinese player can win at least two chinese players in the same (major) tournament.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I read some old threads here and there was a very nice analysis of how Wang Hao vs Ma Long in the 2013 WTTC was not some kind of mental breakdown on the part of Ma Long.

Here is the post http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...y-Ma-Long-vs-Hao&p=58259&viewfull=1#post58259

I believe that was my analysis. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the 5th game of the German Open final. Note particularly the first 6 or 7 points and ML's body language which reveals he had lost hope at that point in the match. He gave ZJK several free points. The score was 1-4. And then ZJK started hitting these crazy shots that miss by 2, 3 and 4 feet. It was on shots that were easy, they were right to him and he had the table open. He gives ML a bunch of free points as early in the point as possible: before ML could mess up and give the points away which he really was doing at that point in the game.

I actually think that ZJK may have thrown that match after knowing he had ML mentally out of it. I think ML started to play way better after things got tied up. But he was playing terribly at the beginning of that 5th game. I also think, once ML started playing better, ZJK played him straight up, head to head and hard, as though he was trying to win. But he wasn't doing a lot of the stuff he did in games 1-4 that gave ML so much trouble and had ML down 1-3 in the 5th.

In other words, after ML woke up half way through the 5th, ZJK started playing hard but right into ML's strengths.

Why would he do this? 1) I think he likes to be underrated, especially going into a big tournament like the one coming up. I think he likes when the whole world thinks he doesn't have a chance. 2) I think in his head, he could do anything he wants against ML so what is the harm in having ML walk into the WTTC with some false confidence. And false confidence always messes people up.

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe he really lost that game. But if you really watch that 5th game, both guys are playing like they shouldn't be in the top 50 in the first 10-12 points. Other parts of the match are different. But any top pro, up 3-1 in games and 4-1 in points, with ML visibly self-destructing, missing the table by being indecisive about whether he should push or attack, giving away free points on pushes, would see ML self-destructing and would not get in the way of him falling apart and would win that 5th game easily.

Reactions: Rajah* and Alborz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I believe that was my analysis. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the 5th game of the German Open final. Note particularly the first 6 or 7 points and ML's body language which reveals he had lost hope at that point in the match. He gave ZJK several free points. The score was 1-4. And then ZJK started hitting these crazy shots that miss by 2, 3 and 4 feet. It was on shots that were easy, they were right to him and he had the table open. He gives ML a bunch of free points as early in the point as possible: before ML could mess up and give the points away which he really was doing at that point in the game.

I actually think that ZJK may have thrown that match after knowing he had ML mentally out of it. I think ML started to play way better after things got tied up. But he was playing terribly at the beginning of that 5th game. I also think, once ML started playing better, ZJK played him straight up, head to head and hard, as though he was trying to win. But he wasn't doing a lot of the stuff he did in games 1-4 that gave ML so much trouble and had ML down 1-3 in the 5th.

In other words, after ML woke up half way through the 5th, ZJK started playing hard but right into ML's strengths.

Why would he do this? 1) I think he likes to be underrated, especially going into a big tournament like the one coming up. I think he likes when the whole world thinks he doesn't have a chance. 2) I think in his head, he could do anything he wants against ML so what is the harm in having ML walk into the WTTC with some false confidence. And false confidence always messes people up.

Now, I could be wrong. Maybe he really lost that game. But if you really watch that 5th game, both guys are playing like they shouldn't be in the top 50 in the first 10-12 points. Other parts of the match are different. But any top pro, up 3-1 in games and 4-1 in points, with ML visibly self-destructing, missing the table by being indecisive about whether he should push or attack, giving away free points on pushes, would see ML self-destructing and would not get in the way of him falling apart and would win that 5th game easily.

Maybe we all over-interpret this whole game. Did it never happend to you that you lead 2-0 and hit everything you want and then, you don't know why, but you start missing and lose the game 2-3!?!
Even pro's can't always perform at their best.

I talked to a Coach of a German Bundesliga Team. I asked him: "What's going around in a head of a professional player?" He answered: It's the same like on a low level player, there is no difference.

Of course tactics and techniques are much better.

To the Ma Long - Wang Hao discussion:

I think it's a combination of both. Wang Hao had great tactics and Ma Long was mentally not prepared.
I mean it was not the first time Ma Long played against Wang Haos short service to the forehand and keep the short play low.

Someone on this forum is saying all the time the big three (ML, ZJK, XX) hide their best tactics against FZD for the big matches. But I think there is no place to hide anything in the CNT. They train everyday together, see another. Coaches talk about this and that. Everyone knows every serve of everyone.
When should ML and Co. train their secret tactics against FZD when he is all around? Yes, you have to train tactics, too

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, you may be right. I don't know. I do hope I am wrong and that I am overrating ZJK because I would like anyone to win aside from him.

But, no matter what you do, if you watch the first half of the 5th game of the German Open, it is played badly. And ZJK only starts playing badly when ML is down 1-4 and almost looks like he is trying to end the match as fast as possible.