Who will win the 2015 WTTC?

Who Will Win The 2015 Men's World Table Tennis Championships?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • Fan Zhandong

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Chuang Chih-Yuan

• Timo Boll

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Koki Niwa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have been thinking about this. And in watching the China trials for the World Championships in Suzhou, I am starting to get excited about the upcoming World Championships. It is not so far off now. It will be in May. And I am wondering who will win. Will it be Fan Zhendong? He won the first round of the final stage of the China Trials. Will it be Ma Long who finally breaks through and shows the world he can be World Champion? Can Zhang Jike win three World Championship titles in a row? That would be a first in Modern Table Tennis. Can Xu Xin and break through the dominance that the other three seem to have over him in the bigger tournaments?

Or can someone from outside of China break the domination China has shown since Werner Schlager won in 2003?

Who do you think will win the World Table Tennis Championships Men's Singles event in 2015?

If you want to vote for someone who isn't on the poll just list him in your post.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
Unless Timo Boll has to play against Ma Long, he has a good chance of winning this WTTC.

Unlikely prediction, I know but I think that he's going to do everything in his power for this one because it is likely his last chance. In the match vs. ZJK in the 2014 World cup, it's quite clear that he is close to the level of the Chinese. The only player against whom Timo seems chanceless at times is Ma Long. I think that he can take care of FZD and perhaps even XX. Against ZJK it's difficult but not very unlikely and against ML it's quite unlikely.

The problem that many forget is that he has to play against Liu Guoliang, the master tactician as well. LGL saved ZJK in the 2012 team WTTC by telling him to play backhand down the line, which allowed him to win the deciding set by getting a 6-0 lead. Timo had levelled it from 2-0 to 2-2.

Ma Long was kind of nervous in the 2013 WTTC and LGL saved him from very likely defeat against Timo again. You saw what happened to ML when he didn't get coaching in his match against Wang Hao.

Otherwise I think that Ma Long has the best chance of winning because of his improved nerves unless he meets ZJK, after that it's more 50-50 . If XX or FZD can take care of ZJK, ML would most likely win but I believe in Timo Boll!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jeycop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well I am not sure if 4 players from one country can participate. If so still the answer is not easy. Surely it will be somebody from China. Of course ZJK is unpredictable and can be beaten by anyone, also maybe FZD while he is young and quite often wins barely in first rounds can be beaten. But I do not remember when was last time Ma Long or Xu Xin lost to non chinese player.
So the question is who out of this 4 players can win it.
XX - rather no, his ranking is very high because he participated in a lot of torunaments, but I really doubt he has positive score against Ma Long or ZJK
ZJK - possible, but as I mnetioned before he is really unpredictable, anyway seeing his last performance I am not that sure if he is the one
ML - he is getting older and more nervous especially when playing against ZJK. I hope he can win but last time he lost twice to FZD and also his nervous against ZJK is not helping
FZD - he has evertyhing to take it, maybe he needs more experinece. Surely he has motivation. But I think he said after last WTC when he was not playing very well that this is a big tournament and he was little bit nervous.
It is hard to vote I would say
ML - 33%
ZJK - 33%
FZD - 33%

says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
Well I am not sure if 4 players from one country can participate. If so still the answer is not easy. Surely it will be somebody from China. Of course ZJK is unpredictable and can be beaten by anyone, also maybe FZD while he is young and quite often wins barely in first rounds can be beaten. But I do not remember when was last time Ma Long or Xu Xin lost to non chinese player.
So the question is who out of this 4 players can win it.
XX - rather no, his ranking is very high because he participated in a lot of torunaments, but I really doubt he has positive score against Ma Long or ZJK
ZJK - possible, but as I mnetioned before he is really unpredictable, anyway seeing his last performance I am not that sure if he is the one
ML - he is getting older and more nervous especially when playing against ZJK. I hope he can win but last time he lost twice to FZD and also his nervous against ZJK is not helping
FZD - he has evertyhing to take it, maybe he needs more experinece. Surely he has motivation. But I think he said after last WTC when he was not playing very well that this is a big tournament and he was little bit nervous.
It is hard to vote I would say
ML - 33%
ZJK - 33%
FZD - 33%

Yes they can, even 5 can play. Check last WTTC, all the semifinalist from china, and one more (Yan An) lost in quarterfinal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Guys, for real, I believe, Fan Zhendong has NO CHANCE, I repeat - NO CHANCE of beating Ma Long, Xu Xin or Zhang Jike in the WTTC..
I believe these three players are saving their best tactics to beat Fan Zhendong for WTTC and for OG, so the only chance for FZD to win WTTC is, that he will not meet any of these, that they will be eliminated earlier, which is veeery very unlikely. Of course, it can happen, but I believe Timo Boll or Dimitrij Ovtcharov would not lose to FZD at this stage.
So - for me its Zhang Jike! Even though I will hope that Ma Long can do a miracle, I know that semifinal is the most he can achieve here.
Zhang Jike can lose in tournament like this only if he gets injured. If Zhang gets injured, maybe the miracle will happen and Ma Long wins.
At this big stage, I tell you this: 1st Zhang Jike, 2nd Ma Long, 3rd Xu Xin, 4th FZD. As easy as this it is.
FZD will lose to any of above him, Xu Xin will lose to any of above him and Ma Long will lose to ZJK. Thats it, that is what I believe :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Guys, for real, I believe, Fan Zhendong has NO CHANCE, I repeat - NO CHANCE of beating Ma Long, Xu Xin or Zhang Jike in the WTTC..
I believe these three players are saving their best tactics to beat Fan Zhendong for WTTC and for OG, so the only chance for FZD to win WTTC is, that he will not meet any of these, that they will be eliminated earlier, which is veeery very unlikely. Of course, it can happen, but I believe Timo Boll or Dimitrij Ovtcharov would not lose to FZD at this stage.
So - for me its Zhang Jike! Even though I will hope that Ma Long can do a miracle, I know that semifinal is the most he can achieve here.
Zhang Jike can lose in tournament like this only if he gets injured. If Zhang gets injured, maybe the miracle will happen and Ma Long wins.
At this big stage, I tell you this: 1st Zhang Jike, 2nd Ma Long, 3rd Xu Xin, 4th FZD. As easy as this it is.
FZD will lose to any of above him, Xu Xin will lose to any of above him and Ma Long will lose to ZJK. Thats it, that is what I believe :)

I second this opinion, I think FZD will be world champion but he is unlikely to beat any of ML, ZJK or XX in such an important event like WTTC unless the others are in terrible form or are injured, his time hasn't come yet. For me a slight favourite is ZJK, proven time and again can withstand amazing pressure especially in tight situations in big individual events followed by ML and then XX, who plays who and the order in which it happens in the WTTC (or may not happen) is quite important actually... Still my personal favourite will be Xu Xin, the last elite penholder, just one more individual gold and then a grand slam would do wonders for this classic style of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Because it is in China 6 players from China will be able to play. All other countries can have up to 5 entries. The host country gets one extra.
If so I believe we can see Fang Bo and maybe Liang Jingkun. Fang Bo can be really competitive. I will surprised if I see non chinese player in semis. I think besides chinese the only players who can reach semis are Dima, Mizutani and Freitas.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
If so I believe we can see Fang Bo and maybe Liang Jingkun. Fang Bo can be really competitive. I will surprised if I see non chinese player in semis. I think besides chinese the only players who can reach semis are Dima, Mizutani and Freitas.

I wouldnt even include freitas...

Reactions: jeycop
This user has no status.

Well, you forgot Ma Long is random under pressure soaybe he will get caught by Fan Zendong in the semi final who knows. And will Zhang Jike lose again against Yu Ziyang? Most likely not but you never know whats gunna happin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
Read 2 reviews
Fan Zhendong is definitly one of the favourites this year. Fang Bo is the underdog. And perhaps Yu Ziyang can cause some upsets. And Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin speaks for himselves

We don't know yet if Fang Bo or Yu Ziyang will be there. FZD and Ma Long are sure to be there. I think we can expect Zhang Jike and Xu Xin without many doubts. And there will be 2 more players (maybe you're right and it will be them but it can be others or just one of them).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We don't know yet if Fang Bo or Yu Ziyang will be there. FZD and Ma Long are sure to be there. I think we can expect Zhang Jike and Xu Xin without many doubts. And there will be 2 more players (maybe you're right and it will be them but it can be others or just one of them).

I think the two that qualified from the China Trials are Fan Zhendong and Ma Long. The CNT coaches choose 4 more from the rest based on results and personal preference. I would say that Zhang Jike and Xu Xin will probably be 2 of the other 4. Who the last two will be, I can't really know. There were a few people who played well in the Trails for Suzhou.

But I see from the poll that, at this point, more people think Ma Long will win than any other player. Right now ML has 16 more votes than ZJK who is the next highest. That is over 12% more votes. Interesting that a guy who has not won any WTTC titles in singles has more votes than the guy who won the last two times in a row.

All that being said, I am hoping someone from Europe, Japan or Korea can end the Chinese dominance. Like when Russia beat USA in basketball in the Olympics in the 1970s. Anything can happen. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone as being strong enough to take on the top Chinese players. But I can still hope. It would make table tennis so much more interesting.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A side note: in the last 2 WTTC Men's Singles events, the only Chinese player to get knocked out by a non-Chinese player was Chen Chi who was beaten by Timo Boll in the Quarter Finals of the 2011 WTTC. All other Chinese players lost to a CNT teammate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: anchorschmidt
A side note: in the last 2 WTTC Men's Singles events, the only Chinese player to get knocked out by a non-Chinese player was Chen Chi who was beaten by Timo Boll in the Quarter Finals of the 2011 WTTC. All other Chinese players lost to a CNT teammate.

Don't forget, Kenta Matsudaira killed Ma Lin in the WTTC 2013 in round of 32 i think. (unless Ma lin doesn't count as a CNT player anymore)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Don't forget, Kenta Matsudaira killed Ma Lin in the WTTC 2013 in round of 32 i think. (unless Ma lin doesn't count as a CNT player anymore)

Oh wow. I did forget that. I guess that also means China had 7 in the WTTC in 2013. Which means they just dropped the number to 5 (+1 extra = 6 for the host country) this year.

That also means it is possible another CNT player got beaten by a non CNT player. Because I only looked at quarter finals and on aside from FZD being beaten by ZJK in 3rd round of 2013. But I only looked at quarter finals and later for 2011 since there were 6 CNT members in Quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk