Who will win the 2015 WTTC?

Who Will Win The 2015 Men's World Table Tennis Championships?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • Fan Zhandong

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Chuang Chih-Yuan

• Timo Boll

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Koki Niwa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
OK last year or 2 years ago chinese players were changing. Older guys had to give place young players. So in the last performances both Ma Lin and Wang Hao lost few matches to non chinese players, most of them took place in world tour.
But WTTC is something different there is no random choice, couch does many small qualification tours and take what he has best. So let's say ZJK can loose against Dima or Mizutani or Timo. It is possible, but you still have Ma Long and FZD and others. It is really unlikely all chinese players will be in upper part of the draw.
Of course I do hope something will change and the china dominance will not be so huge. I would love to see the final between ZJK nad Mizutani with 7 games.
Anyway hope to see many great performances and close matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
All that being said, I am hoping someone from Europe, Japan or Korea can end the Chinese dominance. Like when Russia beat USA in basketball in the Olympics in the 1970s. Anything can happen. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone as being strong enough to take on the top Chinese players. But I can still hope. It would make table tennis so much more interesting.

I would say not END Chinese dominance, .. lol .. even if someone not from China would win it, it would be kinda PAUSE just like Schlager did, hehe ;)

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
Something tells me that the Chinese want ZJK to overthrow Waldner as the greatest of all time, and since the only thing in his way are his own teammates... Well, do the math.

Third consecutive world championship title + second olympic gold medal next year = greatest of all time. It's happening. Mark my words.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Since Ma Long managed to overcome Zhang Jike in the German Open we are going for Ma Long. After all, isn't it his time to win a major? :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Something tells me that the Chinese want ZJK to overthrow Waldner as the greatest of all time, and since the only thing in his way are his own teammates... Well, do the math.

Third consecutive world championship title + second olympic gold medal next year = greatest of all time. It's happening. Mark my words.

I was thinking the exact same thing

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I think we may count on some Chinese to get the gold.. But there are more contenders now, compared to the last WTTC, that ain't from China. Dima, Freitas and Timo Boll can all cause upsets. And if Michael Maze is competing, nobody knows who he can beat! This year I believe the competition can be really good. Don't give away any medals before the final is played.

My personal favourite to take the gold is ZJK..

Reactions: ping fun
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am actually torn. I think the three with the best shot at winning are Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Zhang Jike. I would like to see Ma Long win because he is really easy to like and he always plays his heart out. So, from that perspective I think he sort of deserves it. But I also don't want to hear Ma Long fans start talking about how he is the greatest ever because he finally broke through and won a WTTC.

Zhang Jike, I actually think is the best player when he shows up and decides to focus and play hard. For most tournaments he just shows up and acts like he is too board and doesn't care. So I hope he doesn't win. He has the exact opposite attitude to Ma Long who always shows up and plays his heart out even when he is off. I don't personally like the kind of sportsmanship, or lack thereof, that ZJK consistently shows.

Fan Zhendong: I think he has a good shot. If he is on and ML, ZJK or XX are not, he can win. But I think of those three, if he faces one or two of them, which he will, he either has to up his level more than I have seen or they have to not be on as well. If they are playing solid but not fully on, he can win. But if any of those three are on against him, I don't think he will.

Watching the German Open Match between Ma Long and Zhang Jike, I was a bit disappointed. I thought, perhaps, Ma Long brought his A game and pulled off a victory in a true battle. But in watching that match, it looked like he was really not playing well.

The worst game of that match is game 5. From my perspective, Ma Long's whole body language indicates he had given up at the beginning of that game. And off the bat he gave Zhang Jike a bunch of easy points. And then, up 4-1, Zhang Jike looks almost like is trying to lose as he hits a bunch of crazy shots that are nowhere near the table.

I could be wrong but it almost looked like ZJK was trying to throw that game or even the match. I hope not. But neither of them looked like they were playing up to there potential to me.

Sent from my SpyPhone using WTTCTalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
^^^ Somewhere i don't know where exactly i was saying that ZJK is like he only care or focus about big titles, so i don't know if this will make he a greatest all over if he just don't look at smaller titles to win, i mean if i watch the regular tennis, big names players such as Federer and before him Sampras and also Nadal and Novak, they all play many tournaments and win big titles beside another titles that are also important but less big name or prizes and also won some those exhibitionist tours too, so they never stopped on only major titles.

That is why, i voted for Ma Long because he sounds he want to win all or any titles and not just big ones, and i want to see more than 1 champion from China, Ma Lin was my fan, then ZJK came, why not could be ML turns this time? at least to win this title, if not i hope he can in the Olympics, i feel he can be a second or third big champion of China beside Ma Lin and Zhank Jike, but he has to work hard and play harder and be serious more against his Chinese Rivals.

Not sure about Xu Xin, but how he became #1 for a while if he wasn't as popular or won big titles as ZJK? and Ma Long took his place and i saw many Ma Long games this year, but with Xu Xin i only saw one titles this year, he is really great but honestly i don't know why he is or was #1 with that playing style compared to ML and ZJK and FZD?!!!!!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The CNT messes with who is ranked 1-6 from their team in the International system. It is based on who they send to the international tournaments and who they don't.

For the past 10 years, if they had sent Hao Shuia to his fair share of tournaments he would have been ranked in the top 2 or 3 on the team for a large part of that period.

At this year's China Trials for WTTC he was still ranked 5th on CNT. But he is not going to the WTTC.

They haven't sent him to almost any international tournaments since his epic fail when he was up 3-1 against Michael Maze in the quarter-finals of the 1995 WTTC and got lobbed down, fished and beaten: broken. They never gave him another chance even though, for a lot of that time he was really one of their top players.

There are also tons of guys on the CNT provincial teams that could develop into top contenders that they never give a chance. They have so much talent they could probably have 60-70 of the top 100.

XX, ML FZD and ZJK may be their best but some of that is that they were given a chance.

ZJK almost wasn't given a chance. He got kicked off the team for several years and lost a lot of valuable training. I believe he basically got kicked off because he was a trouble maker as a kid: HE REALLY STILL IS. But at some point they decided he was too good to keep off the team.

But when he came back into International play he was way behind Ma Long even though they are about the same age. He peaked and came into his full strength and talent right about the time he won that first WTTC in 2011. 6-7'months before that tournament he probably would not have beaten any of the semi-finalists in the 2011 WTTC.

It is actually pretty interesting how after a few years not having access to that level of coaching even though he was playing and how far behind he was when he was let back on the team, how fast he rose to number one.

Sent from my CNTPhone using HaoShuiaTalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Alborz
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, ZJK and FZD are really using certain techniques that nobody else can do as well. Technically FZD may end up to be even better than ZJK but ZJK seems to have more sheer power and spin than anyone else.

I like watching Ma Long better because he is playing a flashier game that is more fun and entertaining to watch with those gigantic forehands. And only time will tell if he has the technique to handle ZJK and the way ZJK uses his backhand over the table from everywhere and then controls the points from the backhand side of the table. I hope he has. But until I see it, I will be afraid to be upset by watching ZJK win another WTTC.

I do hope someone, anyone, aside from ZJK can win and it would be nice if it was Ma Long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
Aha, i see, it is all up to CNT then, thanks to inform me.

Well, we have to wait and see who will win, in all cases, it is like 99.9-100% that a Chinese player will win that WTTC, let him be ZJK or ML it will not get out of China hand then.

I wasn't watching TT when i was a kid and i am not old enough, but i really miss the time when Europe was a lead for a while in tournaments, not sure when they will come back to lead even if they can't dominate as China, at least winners in big events, not necessary now or next year, but at least in the next upcoming 5-10 years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
I think out of Ma and Zhang, ma will have more petential, however Xu xin will also have potential to beat the both.

Hayato