Who has the world's best backhand?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Long.

You can replace this with next year's champ and it'd be accurate, because in the modern game, you can't survive as number 1 without a great backhand.

Spoken like a true Ma Long fan.

Ma Long's FH is probably the best around. His BH has improved a lot. But it is nowhere near the best today. That being said, he is so much better on the BH wing than he used to be. It is not a weakness anymore.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

says what [IMG]
Spoken like a true Ma Long fan.

Ma Long's FH is probably the best around. His BH has improved a lot. But it is nowhere near the best today. That being said, he is so much better on the BH wing than he used to be. It is not a weakness anymore.

We need to remember what is "best".

Best is what won you the world championship. I don't think the ranking is based on stroke quality or style. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Long won the world championships because he was the best player in that tournament and in most tournaments. But the best player does not always have the best backhand.

When Ryu Seung Min won the 2004 Olympics, did that make him the player with the best backhand that year? That is silly. He has no backhand. He is a classic J-Pen forehand player who uses footwork to cover the whole table with his forehand.

says Aha, sorry. Trodde du var en annan Millesom spelar i...
Jörgen Persson has a name for his own backhand...The Cobra! I rest my case...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and Anders
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Well iam french too but i really think is has a wonderfull backand ! Its justa fast spinny and with good precision !!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Iam french but a leave france about 12 years ago and never came back

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I was watching a subbed match of the Chinese Trials back in 14/15 nor too sure. But LGL was commentator for that match and he was asked by his fellow commentator who had the best backhand after Zhang and he replied with something along the lines of "Zhang has got a fantastic backhand, but when he faced Ovtcharov in the Olympics, we had to try to stop Ovtcharov from playing his backhand because it was the most complete, comprehensive backhand I've ever seen. If Zhang kept playing to his bh , who knows? Maybe Ovtcharov would've won. That man has a talent for the backhand."
Something like that

Reactions: TTFrenzy and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
I think:
The most spectacular backhands belong to Mattenet and Kreanga.
The most effective one today is Zhang Jike's.
Two of the greatest ever are Wang Hao and Jörgen Persson.

I'd like to add another name from the past - Peter Karlsson. He was perhaps the first player to have a "modern" backhand in terms of it's power and looping capabilities. He used it as a true offensive weapon and not just for linking shots and defensive play as was common in the early 90's. He had a pretty powerful forehand to back it up too.

Here he is playing Kreanga in the French League in 2008. Karlsson is pretty old here. But even at 39 he still had a powerful game.
The match is very entertaining and has great rallies, backhands, forehands and drop shots. A fine match between two of the greatest backhands.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
kreanga is my favorite bh to watch. not sure about best, but love seeing him rip bh winers. looks like it's coming out of a cannon. it could totally flipped rallies.

Regarding persson I love watching him use his bh when he moving in towards the table maybe after being deep on D. His bh was always good but it was is most definitely electric when doing that shot.
And not saying the best here so I'm off topic a bit but speaking of coming in to finish rallies with the bh love watching the short pips defender from Japan yuto muramatsu. Man his backhand Finnish's are fun to watch. If the attacking player pushes back and gives him any room at all he's all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: