Who has the world's best backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I would say ovtcharov by far. The chinese are more consistent but in terms of raw talent dima is the best BH ever hands down . If only he could land that killer BH against ma long in the wtttc 2014 when he was up 10-9 in the first

LGL also stated that ZJK and ML could only "shake their heads in amazement" when they saw dima's games from london . "that bh is just too good" something like that they said

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
A few forgotten names:

If you'd asked anyone in TT between 1920 and c.1960 who had the best backhand, one name would stand out - Victor Barna.

In the 60s and 70s - Stanislav Gomozkov

A little later - Tibor Klampar as well as Andrzej Grubba

Nobody's yet mentioned Erik Lindh whose lefty BH loop was on the same level as Rosskopf

or Petr Korbel, Mr. chiquita

PH backhands pre- Wang Hao - Kim Wan, Kim Taek Soo

Some women - Mihaela Steff, Tamara Boros

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
A few forgotten names:

If you'd asked anyone in TT between 1920 and c.1960 who had the best backhand, one name would stand out - Victor Barna.

In the 60s and 70s - Stanislav Gomozkov

A little later - Tibor Klampar as well as Andrzej Grubba

Nobody's yet mentioned Erik Lindh whose lefty BH loop was on the same level as Rosskopf

or Petr Korbel, Mr. chiquita

PH backhands pre- Wang Hao - Kim Wan, Kim Taek Soo

Some women - Mihaela Steff, Tamara Boros

klampar's BH technique close to the table is very similar to what players are doing today. wrist & forearm snap with spin focus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
This thread is dead, long live this tread! Best BH: I don't know. But incredible BHs:

Oh Sang Eun: lovely backhand, incredibly smooth technique altogether. youtu.be/_F06UjF4u5w
Werner Schlager: lol. youtu.be/KkzymPHjwOY?t=35s and youtu.be/Hl64lXn9buk
These two are fun to watch, even more so when they play each other (youtu.be/ML4b1uH8f3A?t=4m25s).

Before that, Waldner's BH on a good day was cool to watch (that slap! youtu.be/jgj_TpQkUCc?t=5m1s). Kreanga's BH is famous, although visually less appealing to me. Also yes, Tibor Klampar for a great player with a "weird" BH nicely bundled together with a "weird" FH!

More recently, Wang Hao, ZJK and FJD. Then quite a few more Chinese players with the same style. Outside China, LGL mentioned Ovtcharov's BH as pointed above. Jung Young-sik from Korea has a very good BH too (cf. Rio 2016 vs ZJK). I'm missing many more since the trend has been to better and better BHs for a handful of years.

Reactions: Boogar and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
This thread is dead, long live this tread! Best BH: I don't know. But incredible BHs:

Oh Sang Eun: lovely backhand, incredibly smooth technique altogether. youtu.be/_F06UjF4u5w
Werner Schlager: lol. youtu.be/KkzymPHjwOY?t=35s and youtu.be/Hl64lXn9buk
These two are fun to watch, even more so when they play each other (youtu.be/ML4b1uH8f3A?t=4m25s).

Before that, Waldner's BH on a good day was cool to watch (that slap! youtu.be/jgj_TpQkUCc?t=5m1s). Kreanga's BH is famous, although visually less appealing to me. Also yes, Tibor Klampar for a great player with a "weird" BH nicely bundled together with a "weird" FH!

More recently, Wang Hao, ZJK and FJD. Then quite a few more Chinese players with the same style. Outside China, LGL mentioned Ovtcharov's BH as pointed above. Jung Young-sik from Korea has a very good BH too (cf. Rio 2016 vs ZJK). I'm missing many more since the trend has been to better and better BHs for a handful of years.

Yeah oh sang eun definitely belongs to this thread such a relaxed and fluent slap on the ball, he can do everything. Great ball feeling and an infamous flip

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think this topic is actually really interesting and one that evolves over time and pretty quickly. It is worth revisiting from time to time.

Right now the top Chinese shakehand players all have insane backhands when you look at all the different things they can do with it. I think they they have taken it to a new level, seemingly all of them. Still, Dima has a backhand that people really have to fear in the sense that he can end points with a single shot.

Of course, we can never forget BH Man.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
For years I think Kreanga was/and still is kinda the reflex answer. It was great for sure.

But the BH now also includes the over the table loop which is something most players didn't do say before 2000 or whenever that came into fashion. So you have to take that into account.

For my money, FZD I really think has the best backhand I've ever seen. ZJK in his prime was right there also. But Fan's ability to seemingly over the table loop any serve along with his power & speed blows me away.

Reactions: NextLevel and Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Perhaps the only time in his life Karakasevic has been described as elegant.

Great BH thiugh.

Haha that was epic. I dare to say that karakasevic maybe had or still has better ball feeling than waldner overall.

I saw some old matches of him and damn he plays the same tt and tactics/footwork for the past 20 years, definitely one of the biggest raw talents if not the best. ANd still can play quality TT with a huge belly

This user has no status.
among Women's, HIRANO Miu has the best BH no question about it. LIU Shiwen comes close but i think HIRANO's BH is better.
For pimples players, ITO Mima has the best short pips BH, the best (BH) chopper is probably WU Yang or HAN Ying.

along Men's, i think FZD has the best BH. enormous spin and power. but its a close call with MA Long. The most spectacular one may be PERSSON or KREANGA, but they are not the most effective. WANG Hao had the best PH BH. The best chopper ever was JOO SaeHyuk, his BH has a lot of backspin, that only the very best could fight when he was at his best. HARIMOTO has a very good BH block