Improving Service

says TBS - H3/Tengery 64 YEO - H3/Xplode
says TBS - H3/Tengery 64 YEO - H3/Xplode
Feb 2011
work on your impact. the speed of your wrist upon contact with the ball is the most important. if you look up service videos, you'll get lots of help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
stiff wrist = no service.
If you want to practice wrist action only during service, use the v-grip, it gives you the most leverage on the wrist while serving.

Try to incorporate your elbow and deltoid into the service as well. Longer lever (arm instead of just the hand) = more leverage = more spin.

jkc

says You sent me the following PM which you didn't ask for a...

jkc

says You sent me the following PM which you didn't ask for a...
Nov 2010
The most important thing to work on is the wrist flick, and you can do that away from the TT table. Have 5 or 10 mins each day tossing the ball and then brushing under it. Catch the ball loosely in your fingers and see how long you can make the ball spin in your hand for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
There are good services without using that much wrist, but try hitting the ball from about straight underneath it (once you get that to be spinny, the most valuable serve you can have from hitting under the ball, is short and dead). I personally really like Wang Hao and Ma Longs motion.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi Bryce, most people have the misconception that it's all in the wrist, in fact it is not. Though it plays a role in your over all serve, most amateurs forget to use their entire body including their feet. Wrist work is only the the final act of your service. Serving with your arms and wrist will not get you the ultimate spin on the ball. Rehearse your serves without the ball 1st, and try to use your body. And once you start using the ball, try not to toss the ball too high. Get your actions right 1st.
Your toss is as important as your serve too. Pros always toss the ball into their bodies (amateurs toss in front of their bodies). This is to get maximum ball dwell time on the bat, which means maximum spin. Tossing the ball parallel or in front of you will result in minimum dwell time, coz otherwise you'll end up serving on the table, which will be a foul serve.
Good luck, and happy training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I thought tossing the ball towards the body was illegal?

well, it kind of in between the grey line. Sometimes the umpire will call a fault on it, while most of the time the wouldn't. I'm believe that there are a certain range of angle where they would not call for illegal throw. However, as I practice the service, throwing the ball toward body is one of better and easier method.