How to play at a consistent high level?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
So I understand we all have days when we are not at our best but for me I want to learn how to push myself more.

At the weekend I played NJL and at the start I wasn't awful but I wasn't great. Last match of the day we play a team from Norfolk who were by far the best overall team there. There was two twins and one beat me something like 11-5 11-6 but then next game I took him apart found myself 8-1 up and saw it out 11-5. Next game I lost 11-6 again. I then did something similar against his twin but didn't take a game this time. Then I played there best player. Lost 11-9,12-10,11-5 so it was a great match.

Yesterday I ended up playing the number 1 senior in Suffolk a guy called Ryan. Lost 12-10, 11-2, 11-5. So whilst firs game was great bearing in mind I'm only junior and I actually showed glimpses of what I can do! Obviously they change tactics and stuff and they wise up to my serves. However he said my footwork got lazy. Trouble is that isn't something I chose to do and its never been a problem in drills (a coach has actually told me I over move sometimes).

Should I be recording myself to see what is changing so drastically from one game to the next? Because people know I've got the shots to be dangerous when I get it right but at the same time it doesn't happen often enough ad takes me to long to find that form. Also whilst there are two or three adult who are good enough technically to improve me there is currently only one cadet at our club who can beat me (though his younger brother is getting very good). I'd love really to go to the Wensum club in Norfolk but that isn't practical being in Suffolk. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Do you mind if I ask you three questions which may help provide a suggestion? How old are you, how long have you been playing seriously, and have you improved a lot recently?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The reason I asked is that over the years I have seen this a lot with people your age who have made a great improvement fairly quickly. Consistency in results in tournaments and within matches lags just a little bit behind the development of the shots, so this may be a problem that just solves itself in a little while if you keep working at it. I'm not quite sure why this is, but I have seen it a lot. People your age are often at that stage where they make a huge improvement in technical abilities in a really short time, which is why I asked, and you gave me the answer I was pretty much expecting. For some reasons, sometimes it takes just a little longer to consolidate a bunch of shots that look good in drills into really consistent performance when it matters So just be patient, with any luck you will stop doing this soon.

OK, now, is there something that might speed it up?

One thing that could help you a lot is to tape one or two of your next matches and figure out what is causing a game to quickly go bad on you. How many points do you just give away? Is there one thing or other that seems to set it off? When you look at it from the outside, can you see yourself lose your concentration? When games go bad on you, look at what you did just before those points when getting ready to serve or return. How much of the bad games is triggered by really bad serving or really bad returning? Are you playing on autopilot at those times? Remember, if you give away a point it is sometimes like giving away 2 -- you don't win the point you should have one, and your opponent gets a point he shouldn't have.

You need to do drills that force you to be mentally precise. Practice playing games from 9-all. Maybe put a little money on the outcome of each one! (I'm not kidding). Learn how to take total control of those new-found skills of yours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Have been in your position. I'm 25 now, and between about the ages of 14-18, I made huge strides every season in terms of style of play. It did bring results, but not consistently. Adults who maybe don't play top divisions of local leagues have one style of play and that's it, and that can be quite easy to overcome. However, when playing juniors and people of your age, you have to remember that they are going through the same experience you are. Their shots, footwork, anticipation and everything else are also getting better. I had a rival who I played against on the Junior Circuit, and we would almost take it in turns to win. They would be tight games if we played maybe 3 times in consecutive weeks.... but if we didn't play each other for a couple of months, I could see that his once weakness (backhand topspin for example) is now not a weakness. He may hammer me the next game we play and I beat myself up and assumed i had gone backwards. I hadn't, he had just improved an area of his game.

The more games you play, the better you will get. Experience counts for just as much as skill... which is why you'll often see older folk beating young juniors. The older folk know how to win! Play games and consistency in your game will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Wensum is a good club if you can get there. Also I'm guessing you play in the Bury league or Ipswich which have some good payers as well. Which Division do you play in at the moment if you don't mind me asking?. . Getting good practice is important and can be hard also getting strong sparring matches is good to find and fix weak points in your game. Being from Cambs and having played is Bury St Edmunds for a number of years and also knowing Ryan pretty well he is a really strong player so you did really well to take the first game that close.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
9-9 thing is a good idea. Don't know why but recently mental state hasn't been as good and frustration has come in some quickly which never used to happen. Also understand what you mean about shots in matches taking time to catch up. Lost first match in five last night after going 2-0 down before winning next two comfortably. One game I actually won 11-1 so it's coming.

Tabletennisuk yeh I have a bit of a friendly rivalry to. Closest I got to him ever was 3-2 and he was the Norfolk teams best player at weekend. Unfortunately your right about adults knowing how to win but this season I tend to open up more on pushes so that's been better.

Ghost zen yeh I play bury league division 2. This season I played up once and u might know someone called dosher. I managed to take one game 11-5. You are definitely right about good practice and sparring partners. Mind if I ask what club your at?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
In England? Something like 650. But I tend to avoid reading into that since I enter no where near the amount of tournaments I would like and unfortunately I'm to inconsistent in how I play. When I get it right I don't know if you've heard of sam chesterman no.3 in under13 but I lost 3-1 and should of really taken him to a fith.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
I used to play for Lawshall a few years back. I know most of the suffolk guys, Mr D is a good guy and plays really well even with a really bad back and hip injury. He's quite hard to play so good to get an end. We have a few hits around Newmarket if you can get transport. drop me a PM if you are keen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I think I know what you are talking about. I have been playing for ten years and I am 19 now. Especially against better, more experienced (read older) players you often lose with 3-1 and maybe 3-2 but the games you lose, you make a few points and the games you win you, you win with a smaller difference. Myself I think it's in confidence and lack of being able to play your own game. if you play your own game from the beginning (mostly 3rd ball and attacking when possible, not being passive) your confidence grows and you can take the game. It works both ways because he may start to be passive if you are attacking and have the upper hand. If you hit a few wrong balls (because you are not that consistent) you start to be passive and he has a chance to attack and be confident and gain the upper hand. And than you are probably going to lose because he has more experience and might be the better player. It's hard to turn things around.

And also tabletennisuk is very right I think. When you are young you develop very fast in speed and attacking skills so you can make very good shots but you don't have much experience, it's something that takes longer than the skill in attacking itself.

This is just my theory from what I experienced, just correct me if I am wrong or share your opinion with us :)

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
9-9 thing is a good idea. Don't know why but recently mental state hasn't been as good and frustration has come in some quickly which never used to happen. Also understand what you mean about shots in matches taking time to catch up. Lost first match in five last night after going 2-0 down before winning next two comfortably. One game I actually won 11-1 so it's coming.

Tabletennisuk yeh I have a bit of a friendly rivalry to. Closest I got to him ever was 3-2 and he was the Norfolk teams best player at weekend. Unfortunately your right about adults knowing how to win but this season I tend to open up more on pushes so that's been better.

Ghost zen yeh I play bury league division 2. This season I played up once and u might know someone called dosher. I managed to take one game 11-5. You are definitely right about good practice and sparring partners. Mind if I ask what club your at?

Make sure there is something at stake in your 9-9 games (or you could start them at 8-8). Play for drinks or 50 cents/game or something. That way you get used to playing under "pressure". It forces you to keep on top of every point, forces you out of the habit of playing a few loose points.

(By the way, I had the same problems at 16, but the next year was much better for me).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Yeh funnily enough the guy Ryan's dad who is also very good said when I was to passive that's when I lost. I'm not so convinced it's experience now but it's that lack of confidence and lack of consistency.

Malcolm (Ryans Dad) is quite right about staying in an attacking mindset. One thing I might say which I hope you don't misunderstand is Ryan is a 1st division senior british league player and is still a bit above your level to be honest. This said you are aiming and thinking totally correct that if you play well every match is there to be won.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Oh yeh he is definitely above my level we watched him play some shots and he totally ripped through his dads serve. But there coming to our club more now and there giving a lot of advice to us juniors so hopefully that will help a lot. My aim in future will to be to get to the point I can play that 12-10 game consistently and maybe take a game, but definitely not expecting that to happen without work being put in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Thats totally the right way of thinking. Do Sandra and Lee still coach at the club btw?.