Tenergy... substitute for my Z2?

Hello everyone, I need your wisdom and experience since I open this thread to ask about a substitute for my Z2.
Currently I have been using BlueStorm Z2 for FH and Z3 for BH on a TIBHAR Black Carbon blade, and I really like them, however the Z2 does not have a good durability and I'm not sure if I buy the Z1 (some people mention that it has a good dirability); or in your case, move to Ternergy Series.

The other dilemma comes in the price of Ternergy Series, $ 75 in Mex vs $ 47.46 BlueStorm, and I do not know its durability.

Or you recommend another substitute considering that there are currently new rubbers and new options, for example BlueStorm Series, Rasanter Series, Mantra Series, Fastarc Series, and New OMEGA Series, considering their attributes, which would be the best substitute, between Ternergy, Z1 , R47, G1, Mantra H / M and Omega?

I did not put Tibhar Evolution, because I had an EL-S and its durability was really pitiful comparing it with all my previous rubbers

I play at the university level, 5 days per week, about 16-20 hours per week approximately
My Z2 was worn out in about 2-3 months, EL-S similar, My Z2 sold out in about 2-3 months, however other rubbers like the Rasant PowerGrip, Hexer Duro etc, have lasted longer, about 4-5 months
I also don't know how much the wear of rubber affects the sun

If you play 80 hours per month and your Z2 lasts 3 months, a lifespan of ~240 hrs is really great.
I've never played with Omega for more than 120 hrs.
But it may depend on the personal feel about whether the rubbers is "worn", or still playable.
Anyway I think with Tenergy you'll get much less lifespan.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I play at the university level, 5 days per week, about 16-20 hours per week approximately
My Z2 was worn out in about 2-3 months, EL-S similar, My Z2 sold out in about 2-3 months, however other rubbers like the Rasant PowerGrip, Hexer Duro etc, have lasted longer, about 4-5 months

I think a lifespan of ±200 hours of intensive use (2.5 months at 18hrs/week) isn't that bad at all. My Rasant Grip started slipping balls way before that.

My experiences are limited, but here it goes. I'm playing about 12hrs/week, and…

• T05 lasted about 5-6 months for me then started to degrade considerably (balls started to slip on counterloops, dropping on on the floor)
  • I've used Vega Pro for 9 months and then replaced it while it still played well (still on my backup blade, in good shape)
  • My main blade has Nanoflex FT48 on it for 9 months and it is still near-new

One habit I've been keeping for the last few years is to be disciplined in cleaning the rubbers after each play. I wash my hands thoroughly, then moisten them, and gently wipe the rubbers, and finally gently wipe them dryish with a sponge and air-dry them before storing away my blade. Once every week or so I use Donic vario-clean, which I think is a placebo-enhanced magic water; I spray it on, lightly, let it soak in, and otherwise exactly the same as water. The point is, I never store away my gear while greasy and moist. I think this helps the rubbers last.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

That's a long lifespan. Tenergy won't last longer than that. And for the price of Tenergy, you're better off changing your current rubber twice as often if you need given its price. Also, if you really like your rubber, stick with it. What you can also do to revive your rubber after 1 month or 2, is to boost it and reglue it. Finally, like yoass said, take good care of your rubber, clean it after each play and sometime in between sessions using good hygiene. For me, switching to distilled water (instead of a brand TT cleaner with soap/chemicals) has increased the life of my rubbers quite a bit.

I was surprised that the Omega V Euro DF is very spinny and even spinnier than EL-S evolution. The rubber is medium hard and it is faster than both EL-S and EL-P. At least the rubber is cheaper than Tenergy and much better than Donic rubbers.

I was surprised that the Omega V Euro DF is very spinny and even spinnier than EL-S evolution. The rubber is medium hard and it is faster than both EL-S and EL-P. At least the rubber is cheaper than Tenergy and much better than Donic rubbers.

langel mentioned that with the OMEGA he could never get a great duration, but you mention that it is one of the best rubber you have used, do you consider that it has a good duration?

If any of you had to buy between the OMEGA V EURO, GEWO Nanoflex f48, Fastarc G1 and Z1, which one would you recommend?

Another fact to consider is that unfortunately part of my playing time sunlight hit my rubber for about 2 hours a day and I do not know how much this can affect the quality of my rubbers, so ...

My second question is ... is it a good idea to have a second combination of rubbers (probably cheaper) while I play in the sun? If so, which one would you recommend me (preferably not DHS-type rubbers and that you can buy on TT11.com)?

it has enough dwell because it is not as fast as the mx-p. the spin is great.

are you playing outdoors under the scorching heat of the sun?

haha welcome to Mexico, unfortunately my Faculty in the zones of the tables there is no dome at the moment, and in the hours that I can attend there is half day sun :(
In Mexico table tennis is not a sport that managers care about much, however, I do my best to also teach others to make the community bigger and bigger.
I only play closed when I play at home.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I think a lifespan of ±200 hours of intensive use (2.5 months at 18hrs/week) isn't that bad at all.

There used to be a general recommendation to replace rubbers after 30 to 40 hours. This always seemed a bit sales-driven, but of course it makes sense to replace a rubber before it is fully worn out.

My dealer, while being interesting in selling, recommends replacing rubbers only twice a year, i.e. using three pairs. I use four, because we have access to our hall in the holidays, which gives two months more playing time.

Broken down to training time and matches, this means I replace my rubbers every 90 hours, which already seems a long time.

I cannot half imagine what any rubber with 200 hours of playing time looks like and performs.

Generally, with the durability of modern German rubbers improved, buying tenergy for longevity isn´t justified anymore. It used to be in the early days of Tensor, but you won´t get the surplus price back in playing hours.

Reactions: thomas.pong
langel mentioned that with the OMEGA he could never get a great duration, but you mention that it is one of the best rubber you have used, do you consider that it has a good duration?

It's not exactly what I've said :)

I use to play with Omega rubbers for about 120 hrs, more precisely - 60-80 hrs on my main blade plus 60-40 hrs transfered on my other traininig blades. This is the usual lifespan of Omegas I'm used to. It does not mean that after that time the rubbers are not playble, and I've mentioned that it depends on the personal feeling. I don't descard rubbers when they worn and kind of unplayble, but just after they start to loose their initial characteristics.

For me Omega rubbers have the longest lifespan I've seen, especially Omega Asia.
Tenergy have almost half of it.

IMG_20171114_121831.jpg

On the right is an Omega V Asia DF of about 60 hrs, and on the left an Omega Tour DF of about 100 hrs.
One may say they are brand new.
The Tour is absolutely playable, but it has lost its DF layer, lets say about 50%. As Tour is softer than Asia it's not a big deal, because it still has an excellent mechanical spin, but has lost a good portion of its surface brush spin properties. So after 2-3 weaks I'll descard the Tours and will give them as a gift to my club to be glued on a blade for visiting players, who are happy to play with our club bats. The club offers to such visiting players about 20 bats with different rubbers - from Moon to tensors and tenergy.

So the feel of when you have to change your rubbers depends a lot of your playing style on one hand, and on your personal requirements regarding quality and characteristics consistency of the equipment on the other hand.

If you play 200 hrs with Bluestorm, maybe you'll play 250 with Omega and 140 with tenergy, but maybe you wouldn't, depending on how you use the rubbers and what you take out of it mostly.

20 hrs per weak is in the category of Pro training program and pros usually change rubbers monthly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Just curious here, what's that third pair used for then, as it doesn't seem to be getting placed on a blade?

That is probably exactly what he means. The first pair of rubbers is already glued onto the blade. When the first pair is worn out, it is replaced with the second pair, and when the second pair is worn out, it is replaced with the third pair of rubbers of that calendar year. The first pair "only" replaced the last pair from the year before...therefore he needs to replace rubbers twice per year...in other words: replacing rubbers twice a year equals three pairs of rubbers...if he would replace the rubbers three times per year he would therefore need four pairs and so on and so on...

Its just a calendar mess. If you change rubbers once per year, lets say in August, you will play with two sets every calendar year, but from August to August you play with one set for 12 months. So not to mess change rubbers on Jan the 1st.

A common general rule for amateurs /provided they play some 2 hrs per session/ is to change rubbers on year bases as much as they play on weekly bases, i.e. if you play twice per week, change rubbers twice per year.

Last edited: