First Bat Advice please

Also, this may be controversial but...... Blade lacquering used to be important when people used Speed Glue, and non water based glues...... Now however, I've read plenty of reports of people's rubbers not sticking properly due to their blade being lacquered in some way.

Absolutely agree

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
First bat advice --> 100+ answers.
Maybe it would be easier to just leave table tennis alone xD

Ha ha I wonder what would happen if somebody created a thread like:
"I practiced for a while now - my second blade advise Please!" ?

[The Squash Comparison]
So, we play Squash every week on a side for about 3 months now with my friend. Ok they gave me a few different rackets, maybe there are differences But I never really felt the urge to search for a "specific" one. Just settled down with one of my friend's racket. And I like it in Squash, there is no this equipment headache for me like in table tennis.

Here in tt, the moment I got involved I started to write my PhD thesis on the equipment. I mean it was a nightmare sometimes. Specially if i.e. you want to play your fh like in between euro/jap and china ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Ha ha I wonder what would happen if somebody created a thread like:
"I practiced for a while now - my second blade advise Please!" ?

[The Squash Comparison]
So, we play Squash every week on a side for about 3 months now with my friend. Ok they gave me a few different rackets, maybe there are differences But I never really felt the urge to search for a "specific" one. Just settled down with one of my friend's racket. And I like it in Squash, there is no this equipment headache for me like in table tennis.

Here in tt, the moment I got involved I started to write my PhD thesis on the equipment. I mean it was a nightmare sometimes. Specially if i.e. you want to play your fh like in between euro/jap and china ...

Searching for the best equipment is not necessary. If you have a good equipment, you just have to learn to play with it. EJing is for the fun of EJing. An optimal equipment gives you a few points and confidence, but not necessary. I am playing with a pretty worn out MX-P, which still lifts the ball. Sometimes it does weird things. I don't care. If I play in a higher league, where I fell the matches important I will buy a new one.
Btw, if you have such a FH then I would recommend you T05 and EL-S. Maybe MX-S, Genesis, Karis M. I am satiesfied with the EL-S, though I play with mixed FH (usually more on the chinese style). Zhou Yu, ZJK and Chan Kazuhiro are a few examples of pro players playing with T05 on their FH with chinese style (the first two changed recently).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This is what I tried to recommend earlier. I think this is what is appropriate for someone who wants to learn table tennis but isn't paying for coaching.

oh you did? sorry then I would have just quoted it, there were just quite a few responses here not quite on topic so I stopped scrolling through :p my bad

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
oh you did? sorry then I would have just quoted it, there were just quite a few responses here not quite on topic so I stopped scrolling through :p my bad

None of us linked to it so you did the right thing. IT's basically what TTTom and myself were trying to recommend. The problem is that "premade" conjures up the notion of bad blades and that is not what we meant.

NDH

says Spin to win!
That Palio blade is recommended by a ton of coaches in the UK as a great starting point - Something that will take you through the first year for sure.

As others have already mentioned - You can have all the kit in the world..... But coaching is quite literally priceless (ironic considering it's actual cost!).

That being said..... Is there anything quite like getting your first "custom" bat!? If you have the money, go for it - Just make sure you get some coaching to go with the goodies!

Reactions: Ndragon