ALLround Blade Options

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
The Korbel is not really an allround blade is it? It's way faster than some ALC blades that I've tried.

I agree with Yogi. The Stiga Azalea series is extremely well made. I've played with both the OFF and ALL but prefer the ALL. Extremely nice finish... nothing like other Stiga blades of recent times. It's cured me of the EJing (and I got bonus points from my daughter due to the "slightly" feminine design).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
thanks all.... went for Tibhar Stratus Powerwood... with Aurus Soft 2.1 Rubbers... lets see how it turns out... :)

Dude i was really surprised with the Azaleas. Although I love the Nostalgic All, the Azaleas seem to have the best feel of all Stiga blades now.

The Korbel is not really an allround blade is it? It's way faster than some ALC blades that I've tried.

I agree with Yogi. The Stiga Azalea series is extremely well made. I've played with both the OFF and ALL but prefer the ALL. Extremely nice finish... nothing like other Stiga blades of recent times. It's cured me of the EJing (and I got bonus points from my daughter due to the "slightly" feminine design).

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
If you want control then stay away with anything OFF. The best is ALL+. ALL+ wood vibrates and is good vibration so quite contrary to some folks here I like vibration, especially in short game.

That said, here is my list

Stiga Classic Allaround
Butterfly Gruba ALL+
Butterfly Timo ALL+
Yasaka ALL Classic ( a bit faster than the above's but cheap)

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
My absolute favorite 5ply is tibhar samsonov alpha sgs (blue sponge handle inset). What a wonderful blade.

The kind of blade that practically plays for you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
My absolute favorite 5ply is tibhar samsonov alpha sgs (blue sponge handle inset). What a wonderful blade.

The kind of blade that practically plays for you.

My brother bought one of these, the one time in my life I have seen a handle not fit the blade surface (when looking at the face itself, the handle was slanted to the side and not adjusted perpendicularly - I wish I had a picture). Overall finishing was just as bad, and I'm not normally very demanding on these things. It felt really strange actually, with the blade not being even close to mainstream standards. It was not a fake.
In play, hard and direct enough but I was hoping for better feedback. I'd like to try the non - SGS for comparison, it's been a very big let down for me when compared with expectations (my own humble Offensive S feels like a premium-deluxe-what-have-you in comparison, while pretty similar on paper - including in terms of feel).

Anyhow, not an allround blade by any means.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
My friend has a Samsonov Pure Wood and it's one of the best looping blades I've seen. It's a bit slow, but just feels great. Having said that, I noticed quality issues there as well. The plastic badge fell off after few months, and now there's a hole in the handle instead. Maybe Tibhar has trouble keeping up the quality with their current scale of sale.

My brother bought one of these, the one time in my life I have seen a handle not fit the blade surface (when looking at the face itself, the handle was slanted to the side and not adjusted perpendicularly - I wish I had a picture). Overall finishing was just as bad, and I'm not normally very demanding on these things. It felt really strange actually, with the blade not being even close to mainstream standards. It was not a fake.
In play, hard and direct enough but I was hoping for better feedback. I'd like to try the non - SGS for comparison, it's been a very big let down for me when compared with expectations (my own humble Offensive S feels like a premium-deluxe-what-have-you in comparison, while pretty similar on paper - including in terms of feel).

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews

It's the best allrounder I've played with. Maybe we define these things differently because I'm used to much faster blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
My friend has a Samsonov Pure Wood and it's one of the best looping blades I've seen. It's a bit slow, but just feels great. Having said that, I noticed quality issues there as well. The plastic badge fell off after few months, and now there's a hole in the handle instead. Maybe Tibhar has trouble keeping up the quality with their current scale of sale.

Yes I remember Andy posted a pretty glowing review on these, not sure what happened with Tibhar though. My brother's SGS was about six months ago. Of course, I know this is anecdotal evidence and they are better than that overall.

It's the best allrounder I've played with. Maybe we define these things differently because I'm used to much faster blades.

I know what you mean in that you could still play all kinds of shots with it, but we have to agree on what's what. From the OP's request we were looking at lower levels of speed, for what I could gather. Now he's gone for that kind of fast-ish blade with good middle-of-the-road rubbers which is fine by all means, but if we start classifying OFF blades as ALL we might as well not bother with rating scales (there are still tons of people who play with stuff that wouldn't be recommended to beginners on these pages, at least in Europe; also we are talking for the most part about pairing with Tensors, not Chinese).

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yes I remember Andy posted a pretty glowing review on these, not sure what happened with Tibhar though. My brother's SGS was about six months ago. Of course, I know this is anecdotal evidence and they are better than that overall.

I know what you mean in that you could still play all kinds of shots with it, but we have to agree on what's what. From the OP's request we were looking at lower levels of speed, for what I could gather. Now he's gone for that kind of fast-ish blade with good middle-of-the-road rubbers which is fine by all means, but if we start classifying OFF blades as ALL we might as well not bother with rating scales (there are still tons of people who play with stuff that wouldn't be recommended to beginners on these pages, at least in Europe; also we are talking for the most part about pairing with Tensors, not Chinese).

I think there’s more to it than just classifying OFF as ALL. In the 40+ era, I think we need a different scale completely. ALL used to mean that it was suitable for an all rounder player. But most ALL blades now can be used for nothing but defensive styles. They’re just too slow for 40+ ball. I think the current all rounder players should go for OFF- blades, and we need another category of OFF++ to describe some crazy fast blades. I’m not sure what blade qualifies as DEF- anymore. Also, there’s a world of difference between OFF- carbon and all wood blades.

Sometimes it occurs to me that maybe there’s really no objective way to describe the speed of a blade without considering other factors such as rubbers, weight, etc. and this categorisation might be useless anyway.