This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Very poor impression for this German Open 2019.

Can the ITTF not use something as important as the Platinum event to re-certify umpires?

Someone had to call Ito on her blatant serve hiding at some point. The shoulder use on the last fault was just ridiculous.

Reactions: deams59
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Someone had to call Ito on her blatant serve hiding at some point. The shoulder use on the last fault was just ridiculous.

That'd be fine if calls were made on the hidden ones. The 2nd one that got called looked fine. Even Bobrow questioned the call.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
That'd be fine if calls were made on the hidden ones. The 2nd one that got called looked fine. Even Bobrow questioned the call.

Sometimes I wonder why the umpire doesn't just check with the receiver if s/he is having trouble seeing the point of contact, since all these minuscule rules about vertical toss, minimum toss height and removing of free arm are technically meant to safeguard the latter. Of course, this sounds naive and is predicated upon both servers and receivers being 'true' sportsmen.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
The problem with calling serves is that it isn't consistent at all. In the FZD vs. LJK match, they kept calling LJK for not tossing the ball vertically enough. FZD's serves were just as off vertical as the ones called on LJK but were not called.

It makes you whether there is an ITTF agenda to pick on a particular player in order to favor someone else. I'm not saying there is some deep conspiracy going on, but if you are going to call serves, call them consistently on ALL players starting with game 1 of match 1 in the qualifiers all the way thru the finals.

Either all players will adjust very quickly or all points will be lost on called serves. And that will be the state of table tennis - no rallies, just points won or lost on called serves until a sea change happens. The current inconsistent enforcement of serving rules is ridiculous. Calls are made at crucial times in a match that impact a player's flow due to their random calling.

Or, maybe just maybe ITTF needs to rethink its serving rules that are hard to judge and enforce consistently from the umpire's seating position.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Sometimes I wonder why the umpire doesn't just check with the receiver if s/he is having trouble seeing the point of contact, since all these minuscule rules about vertical toss, minimum toss height and removing of free arm are technically meant to safeguard the latter. Of course, this sounds naive and is predicated upon both servers and receivers being 'true' sportsmen.
The hidden service rule is probably the most difficult to call because it's not is the serve hidden from the camera, but is it hidden from the receiver who is eye level and further to the left of the camera (for both right-handed players).

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
i wrote off the incident at wttc because it was a high stakes tournament but if she's consistently claiming points that aren't hers hmm well she will lose some supporters that's for sure
Sportsmanship is doing the right thing, especially when the stakes are high. All the more reason not to write off the WTTC incident.

SYS has wonderful skills, plays beautifully and has a long career as a CNT A team player with a chance to dominate all. However she does not exhibit sportsmanship and fair play at times which really has tarnished her.

I hope CNT coaches work with her on this if she is unable/incapable of figuring this out herself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Presumably (possibly erroneously!) - S.Y.S. in the ranking for November will be in second place ..... Ito will remain in 7 ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Sportsmanship is doing the right thing, especially when the stakes are high. All the more reason not to write off the WTTC incident.

SYS has wonderful skills, plays beautifully and has a long career as a CNT A team player with a chance to dominate all. However she does not exhibit sportsmanship and fair play at times which really has tarnished her.

I hope CNT coaches work with her on this if she is unable/incapable of figuring this out herself.

why SYS does not exhibit sportmanship and fair play as you mentioned?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
can you explain why, i think SYS didnt do anything, she just played her game and even appreciate mima for their finals duel

They are referring to the WTTC Women's Doubles earlier this year (I'm sure you can find out more if you do some search) and SYS's alleged proclivity for claiming all side balls as edges (once with Ito during the finals just now and once against CXT yesterday) so seems like there's a 'pattern' here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
SYS can learn sportsmanship from her compatriot, Wang Yidi. Watch the serve at the 8:13 mark:

https://tv.ittf.com/video/sun-yingsha-wang-yidi/1759696

The umpire didn't realize it, but WYD indicates the ball hit her face during her serve so she gives the point to SYS. Adam Bobrow starts the clapping for the fair play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Depends on the Women's World Cup results. If LSW wins, she might be second instead.

Sorry ... You're right ...:eek:
(in general, W.W.C results will affect the November ITTF rating for the top 16 WS...)

Last edited: