h3 comercial vs provincial

says Footwork footwork footwork
Hi,

I think it’s generally recommended to try the commercial version first but usually a bit about your background or table tennis level can help the level of responses you get.

I would recommend to start with commercial and if you like the characteristics of the rubber and seek more speed, then look into the neo or provincial parts.

In my experience, the amount of improvement you get from Neo to Provincial (blue sponge) is not = to the % increase in price. But then that falls on you with what you consider worth it and what you can even gain from it.

I’d almost always recommend to stick with commercial version and spend that extra cash on coaching or tournament fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
+1 what alas said. That pretty much sums it up.

Law of diminishing returns come to mind for me on this subject. By my quick check, provincial cost about twice as much as commercial. Is it twice as good? No. I'd venture to guess that it's probably a 10% difference at best. And that might be generous. But I don't know. I just play commercial and I like it for me.

Just depends on what you are. If you're a traveling tournament player and you take TT really seriously and the difference between you & the competition is splitting hairs? Yeah maybe you do it.

But if you're like me, a middle aged family man who likes to play locally at club, and while you'd like to get better at TT, you're only playing 5-10 hours a week? Meh. Not worth it. Plus playing Chinese tacky rubbers, it's fun to get new ones which you can do more often with the cheaper option.

Lastly, the more advanced, special sponged rubber you get from DHS, the more I'm skeptical if it's actually real... See H3 national. Good luck.

This user has no status.
I play 10-15h per week (for 10 years) and i put a comercial version a month ago on my fh (in the past i was playing with andro r 47) and i tune the rubber with falco tempo but i still feel that i cannot generate to much power. So, i was wondering maybe provincial version will fix this problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I play 10-15h per week (for 10 years) and i put a comercial version a month ago on my fh (in the past i was playing with andro r 47) and i tune the rubber with falco tempo but i still feel that i cannot generate to much power. So, i was wondering maybe provincial version will fix this problem.

That's a difficult switch to make and will take time to learn. Chinese tacky rubbers are physically demanding and you'll need your whole body working together to get power. They also feel different and you'll have to get used to that as well.

What was your reason for changing from R47 to H3?

Reactions: timo100
This user has no status.
That's a difficult switch to make and will take time to learn. Chinese tacky rubbers are physically demanding and you'll need your whole body working together to get power. They also feel different and you'll have to get used to that as well.

What was your reason for changing from R47 to H3?

i was just curious how these chinese rubbers will go

This user has no status.
so, i will try to work more on my technique and maybe it would work out.
and maybe next time i need to use a better booster like haifu seamoon

There's plenty of people that use it unboosted at the amateur level. Booster makes it easier to get power out of it but you'll still want to learn to develop your own. Technique work is necessary for all of us though :)

This user has no status.

If you are interested in hard sponges then you might like Rasanter R53 better. It’s not tacky, but the reviews so far are quite good. (I say this because that might be less of a transition from R47).

Hi,

I think it’s generally recommended to try the commercial version first but usually a bit about your background or table tennis level can help the level of responses you get.

I would recommend to start with commercial and if you like the characteristics of the rubber and seek more speed, then look into the neo or provincial parts.

In my experience, the amount of improvement you get from Neo to Provincial (blue sponge) is not = to the % increase in price. But then that falls on you with what you consider worth it and what you can even gain from it.

I’d almost always recommend to stick with commercial version and spend that extra cash on coaching or tournament fees.

+1 to this, with one caveat.

Don't start with regular H3 unless you are going to boost. Just go straight for H3 Neo commercial. H3 neo is basically the default rubber in the family these days, regular H3 is genuinely too different from other rubbers to get a good idea on how the family of rubbers is 'supposed' to play like.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are playing with H3 and you feel what you describe here:

....and i tune the rubber with falco tempo but i still feel that i cannot generate to much power. So, i was wondering maybe provincial version will fix this problem.

And you are thinking about trying to continue using it, trying to change things like Provincial instead of Commercial, or boosting with a different kind of boost, then, I think you should reconsider how you are thinking about this.

H3 does not work for everyone. If you trained for 10+ years with Euro type rubbers and are trying to switch to H3, you have to consider that H3 takes a totally different technique than Euro rubbers. Not better. Not worse. But different. Trying to use technique that was developed over a decade + with one kind of rubbers and trying to adjust to rubbers as different from what you were using to H3 is, well, it may not be worth taking the years it could take to adjust your technique so it works for that different a rubber. And more expensive versions, or different kinds of boosters, they may not help.

In the end it is up to you. But you may want to consider going back to R47.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
So, now definetelly i would not buy any provincial version and i would stick to this comercial version, and i would try this rubber 1-2 months more to see if i get used to it and learn how to generate power. And i will switch back to rasanter if i feel that after 2 month i didnt improve much.
So, thank you for the help and good luck ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Does the same reasoning apply for even more confusing friendship battle 2 lineup?
I've seen like 4 versions of it.
Normal - no longer produced? 17$
Provincial - 22-24$
Blue sponge - ~30$
Golden - ~~40$

In this particular case an intermediate player should be choosing between normal and provincial depending on supply, right?

says Sorry I`m in Bulgaria (eastern europe) .
says Sorry I`m in Bulgaria (eastern europe) .
Apr 2017
First little background:
I started to play from H3 neo provicial about march this year comming from Omega 5Asia.

Current:
On three identical blades (Victas quartet AFC ) i have
1 H3 neo prov 40 deg 2.15 orange sponge boosted with 1 layer of Falco long
2 H3 neo prov 40 deg 2.15 orange sponge unboosted
3 Skyline 3 neo commercial 2 .2 boosted with Falco Long

Fastet is boosted H3 there are moments that i feel it is too powerfull for my skills, the major difficulties that i have are it is too bouncy during serve recieve, also i can`t slowdown the tempo unce attack is perfomed every shot has to be more powerfull.
All this issues disappears with the Skyline it is very spinny with great control and enough power but it is defintly slower compared to boosted H3 neo.
Unboosted H3 has the best serve recieve and very good opening capabilites can loop short (near to net) and spinny but lack power and is too exhaustive.
Note that several months ago tried commercial H3 neo and did not like it at all.

So my opinion is if you are more mid-distance player provincial version might suit you more because it has definetly more power.
Anther options commercial Yinhee Jupiter 2 it is very simillar to H3 provincial at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
There's plenty of people that use it unboosted at the amateur level. Booster makes it easier to get power out of it but you'll still want to learn to develop your own. Technique work is necessary for all of us though :)

yes, there are and I know a few. But you must really put a lot of power further from the table to get the speed needed. I use h3neo (and that's a rubber in between..) and the power I need is already noticeable. People who try my racket say it is dead, but when I play against them they don't think that anymore :D

Advice to start with H3neo is a good advice IMHO.

the difference won't last you long though...:)

says Footwork footwork footwork
So Timo, will you be boosting?

I’ve never boosted nor do I really have the desire to. Does it help that much with control or speed?

It took me about a week but I feel like my provincial skyline 2 is broken in now and it plays wonderfully! Totally controlled and is explosive when you put the oomph into it. Nothing unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
@alas26 ive boosted with falco tempo but still i feel that i dont have power in my shots so, im tempted to go back to my rasanter

This is probably a good idea timo, it's pretty hard to switch from Euro to Chinese rubbers. A lot of guys on the college team I help coach start out with Rasanter or MX-P (which I reeeeeaaaaally don't agree with). I've always been a cheap Chinese rubber guy. If I switch with them I usually adjust OK, but they take a long time to get the ball over the net and there's a significant power drop off. The only exception is the team #1 player, who uses Dignics and T05, and is just as deadly with my racket as he is with his. His technique is very solid, though, so there's some sense to it.

If you want to be good now, I would go back to Rasanter, but if you want to work on technique and optimize the use of your entire body in your stroke, you can stick with the H3 and really work on it. Both are viable paths, it's just up to you and what will keep you interested in TT and having fun.