Practice Setup ?

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Hi all,
Do you guys use a practice racket and a match racket ?
I use the same equipment for practice and matches. I was thinking to have a separate practice racket to increase the durability of main racket.

I thought about some rackets cheaper practice equipment from aliexpress as I can replace practice racket quickly. I play usually 1+ hour daily so the main racket durability is usually less.

My main Setup is Carbonado 190 with FastArc G1 and DNA H.

After reading reviews, I thought about DHS PG5 as blade and Palio AK47 rubbers. Do you think it will be a good inexpensive practice setup ?

I read your review for Carbonado and that helped me decide :)
I hope you can help me with selection of alternative cheaper spare racket based on my current setup. :)

The thing is, it might harm you for using a different racket as practice racket unless you are used to this already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I was thinking to have a separate practice racket to increase the durability of main racket.

If automatisms matter in your game (and even on fairly basic level they start doing so ...) you´d probably find it hard to adjust to the "main" racket after playing with the practice racket 5 times a week.
The whole idea is totally unusual and doesn´t seem to make much sense to me.
If money matters, try switching to cheaper rubbers for good so you can replace them more often.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
If automatisms matter in your game (and even on fairly basic level they start doing so ...) you´d probably find it hard to adjust to the "main" racket after playing with the practice racket 5 times a week.
The whole idea is totally unusual and doesn´t seem to make much sense to me.
If money matters, try switching to cheaper rubbers for good so you can replace them more often.

Airoc pretty much summed it up here. You should use the same setup all the time: for training, practice, league play and tournaments.

The only thing I'm really going to add is that you could have a separate setup but only for training others, meaning coaching, ball feed, blocking... Our coach used the same bat for his coaching activities that he uses for competition and his rubbers get used up real quick.

Doing all your trainings with a different set up is not a good idea, no matter how "close" you think it is.
Its better to double your set up, or change rubbers more often.
You may use different blades in training, but for particular purposes, not as your main set up substitutes, and if you do it, its good to use the same rubbers, the old ones you've descarded from your main blades.
I use such blades for "behaviour correction". For example when I start to brush the net too often, I do a session with a stiffer and harder blade, producing a lower arc with the same rubbers, which make me try to open the net clearance. And as its 10 grams heavyer its good for strength and stamina training. After that I feel much more confident with my main set up. In periods when I feel more nervous and less concentrated, I do a session with a blade with somewhat similar to my main blade performance, but with much smaller sweetspot and a lot of vibrations out of it. It helps me to keep eye contact to the ball and to concentrate on the hitting area. And when I play as an assisting partner, I ususally use a "walk in the park" slower All+ blade, which make me relax and gives me more confidence.
But I don't use that in "real" training. Some time ago I used it more often, but now it happens when I feel I need it only, maybe once in a month.

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
And as its 10 grams heavyer its good for strength and stamina training. After that I feel much more confident with my main set up. In periods when I feel more nervous and less concentrated, I do a session with a blade with somewhat similar to my main blade performance, but with much smaller sweetspot and a lot of vibrations out of it. It helps me to keep eye contact to the ball and to concentrate on the hitting area. And when I play as an assisting partner, I ususally use a "walk in the park" slower All+ blade, which make me relax and gives me more confidence.
But I don't use that in "real" training. Some time ago I used it more often, but now it happens when I feel I need it only, maybe once in a month.
This reminded me of Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z :D
Thanks for your post, what type of racket you use ?

Reactions: lVegita