Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Changing equipment comes with its share of frustrations...

I now have to admit to myself that my current setup is too fast for me. In this case, I have grown to love the rubber but the blade just doesn't give me the comfort I need to use the rubber when blocking. I switched the slowest Carbon blade I have with the rubber today (Carbonado 45) and I will see what that does. T05H is perfect for my powerspin game but Carbonado 190 made more sense when I used a slower rubber like MX-K or Fastarc C1.
At last, I was very much wondering how fast you play with your setup and that's why I was asking. But it will be really good if you share some of your game clips. I think you might have adjusted to a super fast setup. :cool:

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Played a teams tournament (duo teams) yesterday. Play level was OK, the tourney was affected by Corona with a few late cancellations but still very crowded. Lots of youngsters. It was played in a very large sports hall. Tables near the wall were poorly lit, table halves remarkably different in play. The balls were abysmal, very soft, with not much of a bounce. In conjunction with the linoleum flooring, a very slow venue that takes a bit to adapt to for those accustomed to quicker playing conditions.

I played my level, winning most and losing a few. My partner not so much. I grazed the table my R53 so very thinly when trying to recover a net ball that I was very surprised to see a large piece of the top sheet grazed off. That soft topsheet wears well under normal play, but as it turns out, it is quite easily damaged. End of R53 for me for now!

Yet the worst part was unexpected hospitalisation in my partner's family (entirely non-Corona related; ‘more die of heartbreak’, Saul Bellow wrote once), so we had to leave after playing the preliminaries. There have been better days.

(Edit: after initially judging there to be no corona likeliness because no exposition to known sources Covid-19 is tested for. So much for “we can exclude this for now”.)

(Edit 2: not Corona, but in this case and under current circumstances that just means it's something equally bad if not worse.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Last training session: I changed my FH rubber to Gewo Nexxus Pro EL 50. I will do a review, after I spent more time with it, because it's very different from my totally worn out Acuda. My results were worse than expected, mainly because the difference between my FH and BH rubbers and the change in bat weight. My timing was slightly off because of the weight change. You know, when you always catch the very top of the net and you miss the table by 1-2 cm. However, my technique became much more clear thanks to shadow practice. I kept my strategy very simple: try to attack everything, but only to open up, not to finish the point, or pushed long to force an opening from the opponent. After that I stayed at the middle operating with medium powered shots and won with placement. I was much more stable on my feet than before and it was clear how I get used to the new equipment and new style. The first 2 match was against weaker opponents and I lost them. Third against an equal and still lost. Fourth against an equal and I won and the fifth against a stronger and I won here too. I hurt my feet but still going to practice right NOW!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
6 days and no post in Daily Chit Chat. That's really sad. All practice stopped here as well because of the virus. I hope I can hear your 'practice without table' stories!

I am still practicing and I have stories. Switched to a slighty slower blade with a handle I have already modified ( considering modifying the handle on my old blade but I haven't decided yet). Trying to move, loop and counterloop much more aggressively. It is all work in progress. They have cancelled all USATT events for a while so I am not even sure whether the PA State Champs next month are taking place. MY club is almost empty now for the most part. IT will be an interesting month.

My young students cancelled lessons. The only student I had this week is an older guy. IT is unlikely that will change. But if he cancels too, that is okay, I teach mostly for fun.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I geared down (not really, it is in similar speed class) to the all wood Akkad and had immediate next to zero transition issues to play my level.

TTD member erm gave me a set of 25 yr old 97 gram Nittaku Mono blades, an OFF all wood blade from decades ago. I slapped familiar rubbers on them and it was easy to play my style of game. I used it in my 4 star tourney a few weeks ago, but I smashed my fingers, wrist, and blade on end of table going for a ball I thought was going to come just long. The backup was already claimed by another 2200+ player to use that tourney, so I broke out the Akkad and I kicked tail with it. I ended up with 2 wins vs the next lower to mid 200s California players I faced.

TTD member erm just mailed me another Nittaku Mono - 96 grams. SWEET blade at that weight. He slapped on T05FX (he knows I love soft dynamic modern rubber) and Tibhar EL-P (He knows I so totally hated on it 6 years ago.

I played with it and can say that it must have been two bad glue jobs I did 6 years ago, EL-P plays like a very versatile rubber FH or BH for me on that blade.

Of course there will be no tourneys anytime soon, but so what, it is better to wait that out. Eventually we will get through it.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Over here we're just one small step away from total lockdown now. Which means I'll spend 24/7 with my young'uns aka The Creatures That Live Upstairs, as well as with my estranged former spouse who managed to get stranded here. Now there's a challenge!

I'm practicing serves on an improvised table. That new slab of Vega X I put on at the end of the last tourney has seen very, very little action, and it's serving and quality openups on backspin that I need to get to grips with mostly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I am quiet because I am still in rural, not because of coronavirus. But seems like the way how things are progressing when I do go back home, I may not be able to play tt as freely as I was hoping due to the virus.

I am glad I got a table with the Amicus at home. Now it has a chance to prove to me that it is worth the price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Our national and regional (they're linked) leagues were cancelled yesterday with just one round remaining. Current league standings will be the final result.

Some people are happy (the ones that got promoted) and some people are unhappy (the ones that got relegated). Most people seem to accept the decision without any major complaints.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have been out and mostly away from table tennis before, if anyone remembers me in 2013-early 2015. A few weeks isn't gunna kill me.

Heck, with all the good 8hrs plus sleep I am getting/gunna get and the chance to be outside some more, I will likely deflate my belly a good chunk.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Watching all the matches i can find on YouTube. I really like looking for "amateur" clubs that film their matches.

How about we put together a list of our favorite Tabletennis-channels.

Here are some of the channels I like watching:

Ofc Tabletennis Daily has to be the first mention on this list!

SV Siek - 3. Bundesliga Club recording their matches

The Chopper - 3. Bundesliga Defender

Envergure TV - French N2 e N1 Team

Füchse Tischtennis - German Regional League

MA Short - Very good alternate angle recordings of pro matches

janus770 - good quality pro matches

Almost forgot Pongfinity :D

Tabletennischicago.com - Well documented matches of different levels

Those are the ones I can remember at the moment.

Please add to this list if you have other channels you like to watch.

Cheers

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Watching all the matches i can find on YouTube. I really like looking for "amateur" clubs that film their matches.

How about we put together a list of our favorite Tabletennis-channels.

Here are some of the channels I like watching:

Ofc Tabletennis Daily has to be the first mention on this list!

SV Siek - 3. Bundesliga Club recording their matches

The Chopper - 3. Bundesliga Defender

Envergure TV - French N2 e N1 Team

Füchse Tischtennis - German Regional League

MA Short - Very good alternate angle recordings of pro matches

janus770 - good quality pro matches

Almost forgot Pongfinity :D

Tabletennischicago.com - Well documented matches of different levels

Those are the ones I can remember at the moment.

Please add to this list if you have other channels you like to watch.

Cheers

”Le Boucher” is a classic.

https://youtu.be/huFz9M1DLOg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello guys, I'm new here. Can someone recommend me a good practice facility in NYC?

During this coronavirus situation I think you are out of luck.

Yep. I would also say, it is not safe to play right now because if CoVID-19. You would be able to pass the infection through the ball. And the state has ordered the closing of all nonessential business. So, all gyms and sports clubs have been ordered closed by the Governor.