SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
We are always calling our rackets "blade" so I was asked to create a handle that resembles a real blade.

Structure: Ako / Aramid-Carbon /Ako / Kiri / Ako / Aramid-Carbon Ako
Thickness: 5.75mm
Weight: 86.7g
Freq.: 1440 Hz

57-1.jpg

57-3.jpg

57-4.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
We are always calling our rackets "blade" so I was asked to create a handle that resembles a real blade.

Structure: Ako / Aramid-Carbon /Ako / Kiri / Ako / Aramid-Carbon Ako
Thickness: 5.75mm
Weight: 86.7g
Freq.: 1440 Hz

View attachment 21254

View attachment 21255

View attachment 21256
It's my first time hearing about a blade made with Ako wood veneers as it is not very common. how does ako compare to traditional woods used in blades like limba or koto? btw the blade looks awesome

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
It's my first time hearing about a blade made with Ako wood veneers as it is not very common. how does ako compare to traditional woods used in blades like limba or koto? btw the blade looks awesome
Thanks!

Ako is very similar to Ayous, just a little heavier and harder, but still lighter and softer than Limba.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Too bad it isn't a Viscaria, otherwise it would cost a lot more [emoji23]

I would take an all wood blade with a top ply that looks like that over a Viscaria even if some people will pay silly amounts for a Viscaria. Do a search for Tulip Mania where people were paying a year's salery for one tulip bulb. :)

Maybe there will be a Hypnotic blade mania bubble and people will be willing to pay $60,000.00 for that blade. :)

What do you think a blade with this: Ako-Spruce-Kiri-Spruce-Ako would play like, if approx 5.8-6mm thick?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I would take an all wood blade with a top ply that looks like that over a Viscaria even if some people will pay silly amounts for a Viscaria. Do a search for Tulip Mania where people were paying a year's salery for one tulip bulb. :)

Maybe there will be a Hypnotic blade mania bubble and people will be willing to pay $60,000.00 for that blade. :)

What do you think a blade with this: Ako-Spruce-Kiri-Spruce-Ako would play like, if approx 5.8-6mm thick?
It would be nice if that happened but I don't think my conscience would allow me to sell a blade at that price. But I think it will take some time until my skill reaches that level.

It will depend on the individual Thickness of the plies but assuming something like 0.6/0.8/3.0 mm I think it would be a nice looping blade. Not a lot of power for distance play but enough for top spin in zones 1 and 2. Those are all light woods so the resulting blade would be light, it would allow for a heavier handle and very nice balance.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It would be nice if that happened but I don't think my conscience would allow me to sell a blade at that price. But I think it will take some time until my skill reaches that level.

It will depend on the individual Thickness of the plies but assuming something like 0.6/0.8/3.0 mm I think it would be a nice looping blade. Not a lot of power for distance play but enough for top spin in zones 1 and 2. Those are all light woods so the resulting blade would be light, it would allow for a heavier handle and very nice balance.

With Tulip Mania and the price of blades, I was of course joking around. But that is sort of what is going on with people charging crazy prices for certain Viscaria blades (black tag, fish scale, specific serial number). Wood is wood.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
With Tulip Mania and the price of blades, I was of course joking around. But that is sort of what is going on with people charging crazy prices for certain Viscaria blades (black tag, fish scale, specific serial number). Wood is wood.

Yes wood is wood. When I buy a blade I only don't buy wood, I buy the how to know of the brands but lately the low-mid end priced blades has become also low end quality. Fortunately exist people like Sergio and others making handmade blades with a perfect craftmanship & the possibility to choose the materials and combinations to make your dream become reality.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry Merlin. You are addressing something that had nothing to do with what I was saying. Better craftsmanship is good. Butterfly does have excellent craftsmanship when compared to most mass produced blades. If you notice, I am using a handmade blade made specifically for me. The craftsmanship of my blade is better than most Butterfly blades.

I think good craftsmanship is valuable. I also think the blades Hipnotic makes look really nice. I have not tried any so I don't know how they play. But they look great. And I am sure they play quite well.

But none of this could explain someone willing to pay $8,000.00 USD for a black tag, fish scale Viscaria. So, maybe I should say, Viscarias are excellent blades but the best ones are not worth that much more than the average ones. And the average is pretty good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
No one blade cost 8.000$USD but I know people collecting old blades paying a lot of money if are well conserved, it's like wine, pictures, Michael Jackson hat, etc.

Mine point of view apart for better quality it's the possibility to choose the kind of blade better suits your style of playing table tennis and that's we are asking doing the homemade blades.

Nothing wrong if someone wants paying 10.000€ for a blade, but we don't agree or see necessary to pay a lot of money to have the best blade for you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As one of the moderators on this site for quite some time, I have seen people trying to sell some blades that were too beat up to be good collectors items and were not blades you would usually consider collectors items. Like, Butterfly still makes the Viscaria. It is easy to get a new one. But I have seen people try to sell them for pretty crazy amounts. So, you still are missing something. But we should not be derailing Hipnotic's thread as a result of you simply not having understood something I said to Hipnotic that he clearly understood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I am curious about the wood used in the handle. My old JOOLA EXTREME (discontinued and I only found 1 guy who had this model) has the same-looking handle
That wood is Mahogany, although I'm not sure of the exact species. I still have a bunch of it but haven't been using lately.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Some people have the means to pay big bucks for what they want, even if it's just for vain reasons. And that is fine, it is their money and they can do what they want with it. I think it bothers me more when it's the other way around, trying to get a clone but cheaper, totally disregarding the amount of work we put building these blades.