Looking pure Wood blade for developing my skill , Korbel etc

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The Tibhar Stratus Power wood is rated the same as the DHS301, but I think they don't react the same: the H301 is hard, with a koto outer layer and inner ALC, that typical chinese blade to be paired with chinese tacky rubbers. I've been using the Yinhe clone although it was the aramid-carbon version, it's only for chinese physical style of play, it's indeed perfect when you loop and counter-loop far from the table with boosted H3, but it's damn exhausting !

The Tibhar SPW being a 5 ply limba-limba-ayous classic kind of blade, it is more flexible, more controlable. I've tried one and indeed with mid soft ESN rubbers it does the job, that might be nice with some Butterfly Rozena too...

EDIT: Yihne 970XX-K it is, K for kevlar, commercial name for aramid so. They make the 970XX-A that is the ALC version.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
How about Malin soft carbon ?

Yasaka Malin Soft Carbon (MLSC) is basically Yasaka Sweden Extra (same composition) with thin carbon next to the core. If you are used to hard carbon blade, you will hate MLSC because it behaves more like wood blade. It is even quite flexible, considering it is a carbon blade.

Speed wise, if Yasaka Sweden Extra is ALL+, then I would consider MLSC to be OFF- only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Butterfly Falcima + Rozena
aefe91e858484b74d9178213de102e24.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm late to the party but for an advanced player who is addicted to all wood, the best blade with the new ball is the Butterfly Mazunov. The only issue is the head size/weight might make it harder to use with modern rubbers for some players but if you can reduce the head size a little on the sides or just play with it as is, it is a very rewarding blade for an all wood blade. Probably the only blade with its speed that I can play and block with feeling and for a 5-ply looping blade, very underrated.

says [IMG]
I'm late to the party but for an advanced player who is addicted to all wood, the best blade with the new ball is the Butterfly Mazunov. The only issue is the head size/weight might make it harder to use with modern rubbers for some players but if you can reduce the head size a little on the sides or just play with it as is, it is a very rewarding blade for an all wood blade. Probably the only blade with its speed that I can play and block with feeling and for a 5-ply looping blade, very underrated.

If I'm not mistaken the Mazunov is going (or already) EOL. Lovely old school BTY blade indeed, but like you said, it's for advanced players.
It's a hard and fast blade, but even for plastic ball it's fast. Besides, it's pretty heavy and I haven't seen it below 95gr. Hence, >100gr is most common even :)

Personally, I'm a sucker for the Stiga Infinity (88gr) with Legend handle ;)

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Very flexible 5 ply blade do not only have advantages. It's slow, it vibrates a lot and it's bad in block for example.
I just did a season with the Yasaka Sweden Extra and I'm switching to the Sanwei Fextra 7 ply (better than PG7 for the same price).

It's exactly what a developping skills player need, tell us mister know it all:did you really start on a 7 ply blade as a beginner in France ? I don't think so. You developped your skills on a club racket as all of french pingpongers did, then a month or 2 after that the club made a racket for you with a very flexible 5 ply blade with control rubbers like Tibhar Vari Spin, BTY Tackiness D or Xiom Intro, the 3 most used rubbers for beginners nowadays in french clubs.

• Haha
Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

If I'm not mistaken the Mazunov is going (or already) EOL. Lovely old school BTY blade indeed, but like you said, it's for advanced players.
It's a hard and fast blade, but even for plastic ball it's fast. Besides, it's pretty heavy and I haven't seen it below 95gr. Hence, >100gr is most common even :)

Personally, I'm a sucker for the Stiga Infinity (88gr) with Legend handle ;)

IT has been EOL for over a decade now - the thing is that the design is classic and people in Japan keep it alive because it is so good. When Boll signed mine, he went out of his way to say it was a great blade. It is a hard and fast blade, but *relative to its speed*, and that is the important part, it has a lot of vibration and feeling. It is still a 5 ply blade. As for the weight, many fast looping composites are also heavy.

My biggest issue with the Mazunov was the handle. The fat handle needs to be shaved flatter for most players to understand what it can really do. In any case, some people like fat handles. But when you look at the Butterfly statistics, a Mazunov has more speed and more feeling than a Timo Boll ALC. Since feeling is the biggest thing that you use a slower blade for, this ratio is useful for someone who likes the feeling of all wood blades. In any case, I just want to put it out there, because as a solution to blade with feeling issue, it is often overlooked and relative to composite blades, it has far more feeling.

PS. Just like with the Hadraw series, unless composites are 100% the future of blades, I suspect once Buttedfly finds the right star player, they will re-release the Mazunov but at twice the price.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's exactly what a developping skills player need, tell us mister know it all:did you really start on a 7 ply blade as a beginner in France ? I don't think so. You developped your skills on a club racket as all of french pingpongers did, then a month or 2 after that the club made a racket for you with a very flexible 5 ply blade with control rubbers like Tibhar Vari Spin, BTY Tackiness D or Xiom Intro, the 3 most used rubbers for beginners nowadays in french clubs.

I know many good learners/players, usually young, who didn't spend a notable period with a 5 ply thin blade if at all. With the modern ball, it might even be a hindrance for some players. I think adult learners need them if they have a specific feeling problem, but I know many good learners who wish they had started using faster blades earlier (and with good reason) - not everyone has the same issues feeling and timing the ball with composite blades.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014

I missed the train on acquiring the Mazunov and there are very few 5 ply wood blades in the same class. Have you ever tried Xiom Aria? All the other fast/hard 5 ply blades like Goiabao, Ebenholz/Rosewood etc have very hard very thin outers unlike Aria and Mazunov which have thicker outer plies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I missed the train on acquiring the Mazunov and there are very few 5 ply wood blades in the same class. Have you ever tried Xiom Aria? All the other fast/hard 5 ply blades like Goiabao, Ebenholz/Rosewood etc have very hard very thin outers unlike Aria and Mazunov which have thicker outer plies.

Aria is closer to a Korbel or Korbel speed which are typical 5 ply looping blades. Yes the modern blades for the plastic ball have thinner harder outer plies not sure why the plancello of the Mazunov (which was also used on the diode/JSH) fell out of fashion because it is also a hard outer ply but the Mazunov has soft Ayous on the inside. I suspect the head heaviness with the new rubbers is the main thing not in its favor, I use Fastarc C1 to reduce the head weight and compensate (C1 isn't extremely light but definitely not the anvil that G1 is on such a large blade). I used the Korbel a lot and I just felt after a while that against certain players I had to work too hard to get the ball past them. 5 ply blade even the slower ones are great for spin and third ball but when you block or counter with such blades, you have to be willing to work, while with a Mazunov, you can stand 3 feet behind the table and still pressure the opponent with your blocks and counters. As much as I love all wood, I usually smile when a player speaks of 5 ply all wood as being fast enough, blades make certain things easier and certain things harter, you would struggle to find a serious pro who will take 5 ply all wood with the new ball. All the holdouts from the old ball switched over because they knew they were working too hard to get the new plastic balls moving with the old all wood blades.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Joola T-Hold White Spot for the win.

If you cannot learn looping with that pickleball sized racket, you have no chance.

That blade is so slow you HAVE to learn how to apply your own energy... and it spins damned nice.

It is also dirt cheap... some players might even pay you to take it off their hands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Read 1 reviews
Xiom Offensive Classic is a great blade for a controlled attacking play. Its about 20 percent slower than the Viscaria and a lot more control and feel. The price is great too

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
allround for beginers and intermediate/
Yasaka sweden classic
Tibhar allround 50
Donic 6.5 new impulse
Yasaka balsa classi
Butterfly Primorac

Good luck