The best advice your coach has given you?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. Things like this explains why PNut thinks he is looping when he isn't.

Yep. And I guess the biggest thing about PNut is: when the glass is full, you can't pour more into it. And when someone (who is otherwise pretty smart) thinks they know everything, then there isn't much room for learning.

He could probably be a great asset to this or any forum if he was even a little open to learning instead of just wanting to act like he knows everything already. And he seems to just be looking for people to call stupid and try to show how little others know.

This quote was an interesting one. I would post the whole thing because the whole post was one of the best posts I've seen in a long time. But it was pretty long. And this says enough.

Now I understand why you wanted to "expose" the "long/short dwell time myth" on your famous topic, I trully think that you lack touch and FEEL, and into your hand there is no short or long dwell time blade/rubbers/whatever and you trully believe(d ?) it was a myth. But it's not a myth, you just can't feel it.

If PNut was interested in listening to someone he may have paid attention to what another engineer had to say. But it seems like he still thinks he is looping.

Too bad. If he learned a little more he really could present some great information. But at this point he seems to be more concerned with "bustin' myths" and putting other people down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
"you hit the ball to fast and too close to the table, step back and let the ball comes in to you" <- im still struggling with this problem :(
Exactly, that's my point. I should little bit cool down, because I am always too enthusiastic about the game and therefore I mess up many balls, because I'm playing them too early and not well prepared. So that's now crucial point to work on this...

One pro player said as advice for young players :
"you should go for training no because you have to but because you want to " and that's it - I think the most important point, play for pleasure because you like it. That's best advice for me at all.

Odesláno z mého C1905 pomocí Tapatalk

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
There are many excellent posts here. As a coach myself it is nice to see what quotes/advice has stuck in players minds.

"In table tennis, the real game happens over the table. You have to be good at playing from all distances. But mid-distance and further don't matter much if you can't control the first three balls. So work on serve and receive and random placement."

I couldnt agree any more with this Carl. The first 3 balls is very important in today's game, especially when the average rally is around 3/4 strokes. I think as the level increases the first 3 balls (serve. receive, first spin placement) becomes harder. I recently spoke to a top Hungarian player who trained with Koki Niwa in Germany. I asked him what makes Koki so good? He replied, I often defeated Koki when we were in the rally, however getting to the rally was so difficult. He said Koki's serve and first ball was so difficult to read and receive.

You have more time than you think you do.

Very true! A lot of points are lost due to rushing and not taking time.

"You don't need a tricky serve. All you need is a serve that your opponent will not attack - let your third ball do the talking."

Yes, I think keeping things as simple as possible is very important. No need to over complicate the serve. Make small, deceptive variations to the serve and follow up with strong spin (mixing up placement + spin).

Great tips, everyone. Thanks for sharing. One tip I saw repeated in several posts is something I need to work on: Spin the ball more instead of trying to drive it so often. As Carl's high-level friends told him, "Spin everything. It's safer."

This is so true and once you master the spin as an attacker you will excel quickly. Spin increases consistency and the ball dips in the air. It also means your oppoment has to adjust bat angle often forcing him to produce errors.

I use this motto a lot when i'm coaching #spintowin

My coach said to me when I was younger, 'play to your opponents crossover'. This is very well known by many players however it's a tactic that is not used enough. Players play lines and crosscourt well, but also add variation by targeting your opponents elbow.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My coach said to me when I was younger, 'play to your opponents crossover'. This is very well known by many players however it's a tactic that is not used enough. Players play lines and crosscourt well, but also add variation by targeting your opponents elbow.

Great post Dan. This little part at the end that you posted, it is especially true for someone who is taller and/or has longer arms. There are some players who seem to be able to get the wide angles easily. Go at their switching point. hahaha.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My coach told me: 1, that I am too timid, that I don't look and seem angry enough. He wants to send me to take Taekwondo... haha. He also said that if you try to hard to make the shot it's not going to happen, that it's all in your head.
My coach says something similar about his students. He mocks them and says that because they don't play any sports that have them in close proximity to the opponent that gives them contact, even basketball or soccer, they overestimate the combat level of table tennis.

Reactions: agold
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will leave names out. I have a friend who is 2200 and another who is 2400 and stuck there. They aren't friends because they don't know each other well. Not because of animosity or anything.

The 2200 was watching he 2400 and said to me, "if he wants to get better he needs to take martial arts and boxing, maybe play tennis too. He is darn good for someone you can tell never played any other sport. But he needs to learn something that requires more sheer force because he has the finesse side of things.

It was an interesting thought and he probably was right. Physicality and adding the correct amount of athleticism and power but not too much. I think the top players from China and guys like Dima really have that combination of finesse and whole body power that is exceptional force but without being at maximum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
"Stop caring so much about whether or not the ball lands on the table. Feeling is everything in TT - find the right feeling."

"You cannot correct your technique whilst playing a match or practicing with a blocker. In these situations, focus on your rhythm and the ball."

"If you feel like you have to swing at 100% power to hit a quality shot, something is wrong."

"Relaxation is key, and good coordination between the backswing and forward swing is essential to being relaxed."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 6 reviews
"Stop caring so much about whether or not the ball lands on the table. Feeling is everything in TT - find the right feeling."

"You cannot correct your technique whilst playing a match or practicing with a blocker. In these situations, focus on your rhythm and the ball."

"If you feel like you have to swing at 100% power to hit a quality shot, something is wrong."

"Relaxation is key, and good coordination between the backswing and forward swing is essential to being relaxed."

I have also heard that I need to relax more and it really helps. Still hard sometimes in matches for me.