ITTF to Bid for Mixed Team Event for Future Olympics

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Spinning off from the WTTC thread as it'd get drowned out otherwise.

I just wanted to do one complain about this tournament: they way the draw was divided in 8 days. They could've made a better distribution with the finals in the last day with maybe just the XD and semis yesterday, and made the first 3 days more light, idk, just felt weird the last 2 days kinda "empty" of matches

sorry if I'm saying nonsense

other than that, I enjoyed very much many exciting matches

Good point raised there. Steve Dainton touched on that.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-04-28/doc-ihvhiewr8694313.shtml
  2020年东京奥运会,乒乓球混双项目将首次进入奥运大家庭。不仅如此,维克特又提出了一个大胆的设想,“2024年巴黎奥运会,我希望乒乓球项目能再次扩军,再增加一个项目。”通过本次世乒赛的试水,他看到了各代表队对于混双的热情,也注意到了比赛中的诸多亮点。“我们已经草拟了方案,同巴黎负责奥运会乒乓球的项目经理进行了交流,看看是否能够增加一个混双团体项目。”

丹顿指出,乒乓球在奥运会上,已成为高需求项目,“但观众看得不过瘾,我们也觉得比赛不过瘾。像游泳比赛,就有很多个项目,为什么乒乓不可以呢?”据统计,2016年里约奥运会上,乒乓球项目的受欢迎程度,从原来的D档,晋升为C档,“也就是说,在所有28个大项中,处于中间位置,足见乒乓球的观众基础,正越来越庞大。”一旦增加了混双团体,那么比赛场次势必增多,不仅运动员得到了更多比赛机会,观众也能看到更多精彩比赛。

眼看世乒赛即将进入尾声,丹顿感到意犹未尽,“8天比赛一晃而过,还有很多激烈的比赛错过了。”他指的是,除了半决赛和决赛,之前的比赛往往好几场同时进行,举个例子,如果你既喜欢马龙又喜欢波尔,但他俩可能会在不同的球台上同时打比赛,那你选择看谁?

丹顿想到了网球比赛,“一年四场大满贯,每一次持续时间都长达半个月,而我们的世乒赛8天就结束了,在其他单项世锦赛中,世乒赛的赛程相对较短。我们有个设想,是否可以拉长赛程,越是后面精彩的比赛,可以依次进行,这样观众就能欣赏到更多高水平对决了。”
At the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the table tennis mixed doubles event will enter the Olympic family for the first time. Not only that, but Weikert has also put forward a bold idea. "At the Paris Olympics in 2024, I hope that the table tennis discipline can be expanded again and add another event." Through the test of the World Table Tennis Championships, he saw the enthusiasm from all associations for the mixed doubles event and also noticed many highlights in the game. “We have drafted a plan to communicate with the project manager responsible for the Olympic table tennis in Paris to see if we can add a mixed doubles team event.”

Dainton pointed out that table tennis has become a high-demand discipline at the Olympics. "But the audience is not satisfied. We also feel the same. Like swimming competitions, there are many events. Why not for table tennis?" According to statistics from the Rio Olympics 2016, the popularity of table tennis has been promoted from the original Group D to Group C. "That is, in all 28 major disciplines, we're in the middle position, the base audience of table tennis can be seen. It is getting bigger and bigger." Once the mixed doubles team event is added, the number of matches will inevitably increase. Not only will the players get more opportunities to compete, but the audience will also see more exciting games.

Seeing that the World Table Tennis Championships are coming to an end, Dainton is still feeling unfinished. "The 8-day Championships have passed by and there are still many fierce matches missed." He said that in addition to the semi-finals and finals, the previous rounds often took place on several courts simultaneously. For example, if you like both Ma Long and Boll, but they may play at the same time on different tables, who do you choose to watch?

Dainton thought of tennis matches, "4 Grand Slams a year, each lasting half a month, and our World Table Tennis Championships ended in 8 days. For the individual World Championships, the schedule is relatively short. We have an idea whether it is possible to lengthen the schedule, and the more exciting matches in the later rounds can take place sequentially, so that the audience can appreciate more high-level matchups."

I5qhigf.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Just like what we had at the Youth Olympics 2018. I left "doubles" in there to clarify 1 man and 1 woman, should've gone with mixed team because that's the official term used.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Spinning off from the WTTC thread as it'd get drowned out otherwise.

Good point raised there. Steve Dainton touched on that.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-04-28/doc-ihvhiewr8694313.shtml

At the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the table tennis mixed doubles event will enter the Olympic family for the first time. Not only that, but Weikert has also put forward a bold idea. "At the Paris Olympics in 2024, I hope that the table tennis discipline can be expanded again and add another event." Through the test of the World Table Tennis Championships, he saw the enthusiasm from all associations for the mixed doubles event and also noticed many highlights in the game. “We have drafted a plan to communicate with the project manager responsible for the Olympic table tennis in Paris to see if we can add a mixed doubles team event.”

Dainton pointed out that table tennis has become a high-demand discipline at the Olympics. "But the audience is not satisfied. We also feel the same. Like swimming competitions, there are many events. Why not for table tennis?" According to statistics from the Rio Olympics 2016, the popularity of table tennis has been promoted from the original Group D to Group C. "That is, in all 28 major disciplines, we're in the middle position, the base audience of table tennis can be seen. It is getting bigger and bigger." Once the mixed doubles team event is added, the number of matches will inevitably increase. Not only will the players get more opportunities to compete, but the audience will also see more exciting games.

Seeing that the World Table Tennis Championships are coming to an end, Dainton is still feeling unfinished. "The 8-day Championships have passed by and there are still many fierce matches missed." He said that in addition to the semi-finals and finals, the previous rounds often took place on several courts simultaneously. For example, if you like both Ma Long and Boll, but they may play at the same time on different tables, who do you choose to watch?

Dainton thought of tennis matches, "4 Grand Slams a year, each lasting half a month, and our World Table Tennis Championships ended in 8 days. For the individual World Championships, the schedule is relatively short. We have an idea whether it is possible to lengthen the schedule, and the more exciting matches in the later rounds can take place sequentially, so that the audience can appreciate more high-level matchups."

I5qhigf.jpg

Thanks Zeio.

Thomas Weikert also has spoken about this in Dan's podcast.

I must say that I find the idea of mixed teams really sounds interesting.
Wonder what it will look like in the meaning of men only playing against men and women against women or also women against men.
Anyhow. Looking forward how it will turn out.

Reactions: zeio
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+2]28:00 fantastic job
28:00 keep up the great work thank you I hoped
28:03 a business keeps on yeah improving
28:04t thanks Thank You, Thomas
28:06 [Music]

28:09 How about .. fair play, Thomas? What do you feel about the womens doubles final? hmm-umm about the China speaking umpress I mean.
29:06 Woe, woe with me ... I feel keenly ashamed, the umpress is ****** Sorry.
29:07 [wiping eyeballs with a rag] [/size]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Can someone clearly explain the mixed team proposal please. Got mixed ideas from podcast and from the OP.