Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Liu Guoliang's coach more or less forced him to switch to shakehand in the 80's because the penholder days were over. After he switched to shakehand, he started losing a lot more and not much later he went back to penhold style again. Now we all know that his coach couldn't be more wrong :D

WOW, thank you Jirrex for that piece of trivia! I had no idea. With LGL's (and/or his coaches at the time) innovation of the RPB, it helped keep PH style alive. However, I wonder what other innovation can be had at this point in the history of the PH style. Would hate to see the next evolution of PH is to use both sides LP or something.

Reactions: Suga D and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm having to relent more and more that shakehand has a significant advantage over penhold. The rise of FZD and his backhand oriented game is like the paper to XX rock forehand - he absolutely smothers him.

Meaning you are a PH now and will convert to SH sooner or later?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm a lefty chinese penholder here.

Modern RPB, about 2100. Relies on serve and attack, but I don't have a problem with power looping mid distance.

You can spot me 7 or 8 points then! LOL at me

But seriously, most PH have to rely on serve and attack ... cannot think of a defensive only PH - that is passive blocking or chopping or something. And in my mind, any defensive PH technique is an offensive technique if able to return the ball to where the opponent is not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I play allround close-table with RPB. I am the only penholder in our city that I know of. Dark days for penholders.

WOW genrel001!!! Keep it up... PH style must not go extinct!

------------------

Nei ho JeffM :)

Thank you TurboZ!

and thanks also to Pricey11!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I´ve just played with a friends Jpen blade for the fun of it, not competitive, so i guess this wouldn´t count. Hence my deepest respect to Liten and everyone else that has switched from SH to penhold. I believe it is quite challenging....

Would it be wrong of me to think that that it's easier to convert from PH to SH than vice versa?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm a part time Table Tennis coach at a local TT Club here in Sweden.

A few weeks ago a kid originally from China started to play during one of the practice sessions where I coach. The thing is, he plays penhold with RPB. Since then I have tried to play some penhold and been watching others who play penhold and so on, to help him get better. He really wants to get better and it is quite the challenge. As you can imagine, some of the stuff I talk about can't be directly transferred to PH from SH.

I find it hard to play penhold, but it is very interesting. Penhold is fun! :)
I will definitely play and practice more. I've tried RPB but I it's to hard to be consistent. I usually just push block with my BH.

Mostly my penhold play comes down to serve and attack to this point. But as I improve that will probably change.

WOW! You are a great coach then, to have to learn something new in order to help out your student! Respect!!

I cannot RPB at all... will take me forever to learn/train it, but more importantly I may have carpal tunnel syndrome ... found the weight of the extra rubber hurting my hand so for now, I will not pursue to the idea of cultivating the RPB.

Thank you BlueSkies!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Whoa! 2 lefty PH! very cool songdavid98 and suds79!
I'm more of a oldschool penholder with the TPB.

WOOHOO!

I can RPB very comfortably and it's one of my stronger shots but during an actual match, if someone hits fast to my BH i naturally go to TPB. So I cannot seem to naturally convert to RPB. If I was younger or a new player, i'd probably almost solely use the RPB.

Interesting! Some modern PH i see love the RPB to the point that they sometimes don't use the punch or even their FH!

That being said, i like styles that are out of the ordinary & different. Must be something in my makeup. So while I've tried, I can't play simple duel inverted. Just not interesting enough for me. I play a twiddling game featuring either inverted and long pips or at times short pips & long pips. I think that's one of the most fun & interesting styles.

I'm more dangerous with inverted & long pips but more consistent with short pips & long pips. I probably play better with the short pips & long pips combination. IDK. Ask me in a few months. :p (it's a problem I know.)

Players I look up to and/or try to emulate parts of their game are...

- Wang Jian Jiang (SP/LP twiddler): amazing crafty game. Good attacking game with the LPs & SPs. No RPB.
- HE Zhi Wen (single sided SP): Pretty sure everybody here already knows who he is and what he's about.
- Wang Qiu Yi (Inverted/LP twiddler): Like her use of RPB with the LP FH play. Convinced I've never seen a better LP attacker. I mean ever. :)

I think there's 3 penholders are our club including me.

LOVE HE ZHI MEN/HO CHI MUN!

Thanks suds79 on the other 2, will check them out!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think I'm among the rare TPB jpen players. To me, I play interchangeably between shakehand and jpen, and each style has enhanced the growth of the other style. If the jpen blade grip is shaped properly and held properly, TPB can be executed naturally. The problem is that the body must be twisted to the side which requires a split second more time which you often don't have.

Having played CPen forever, I admire how JPenners play. I cannot get used to the grip. I'm psycho though, but have never owned a JPen and tried it ages ago. I should try it from a clubmate.

But yeah, that body contortion seems a little more pronounced by JPenners than CPenners... or what I remember of the old days of the CPen BH

There is ~1800 JPen at my club and his BH is great!

Thank you Jabugo!

-------------------------------------

LOL at Tony's Table Tennis!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks suds79 on the other 2, will check them out!!

Sure NP. I accumilated a youtube playlist of twiddling LP penholders. Some with SPs. Some with Inverted on the other side.

I think it's a fun, tricky way to play the game.

21 videos and counting as of right now. Big difference IMO from people who use LPs as a crutch (just stick it out there and pray the serveice return goes in) compared to these players who use it as a weapon. ex: playing good chop-blocks vs topspin. Attacking backspin. etc.

I have the specific LP strokes broken down in this post if it helps anybody.
http://chroniclesofgossima.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-rules-with-long-pips-close-to-table.html

First video features Wang (some sites will tell you it's Jian) Jiang Huang (21 videos will just auto play)

Full playlist here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKqSWJv6VSgzmkFGAlD-TTKNYTt9-Ns6t

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLKqSWJv6VSgzmkFGAlD-TTKNYTt9-Ns6t" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Would it be wrong of me to think that that it's easier to convert from PH to SH than vice versa?

I actually switched from shakehand to penhold in my early days because looping hurt my wrist when I used shakehand.

I would say that if you play penhold with a RPB , you can figure out how to play shakehand without much of a problem. If you play shakehand, I would say that it would be a little difficult to figure out how playing penhold makes sense to their hand. There is so much flexibility in the wrist in penhold that players have to sort of figure out what angles to have their wrist go in.

If you think about it, if you somehow erase the player's body and only look at the movement of the paddle, penhold is basically shakehand, except that the paddle is rotated about 90 degrees towards the ground.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
My problem with TPB is that before I learned to play with RPB my opponents already know what I'm going to do when they attack on my backhand side (either smash or punch). But when I learned RPB (from youtube) it caught my opponents off-guard and most of the time an instant point for me. RPB adds a little flavor to the PH game, I say. Although I still use TPB for blocking and punching.

I'm a UK rpb penholder. There are two other pH at my club and one is tcpen and the other is jpen. One of the coaches is Chinese and he plays ph, but thinks sh is better. He plays tcpen though, so I tell him it's his own fault hehe. He still wrecks everyone in the club. And he can show me what to do properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Oops, this almost slipped through.
;)
I guess that would be totally correct. At least to me.
:)
First and foremost you should know that i totally suck at PH.
Probably it's because i first learned to play SH and hence the PH doesn't really feel 'natural' to me.
The best thing i can do with PH is serving. When it comes to PH BH i just think too much, if I should play a modern style and try (i can't call it anything else) rpb or if I should use a traditional blockstyle.
And the moment i start thinking everything's over already and you'll find me pickin' up the ball from behind me.
And when it comes to FH i just suck in general. And i never got beyond that level... :D
But still it's a whole lotta fun.
LoL
[Emoji23]
Plus it has really helped me a lot using more wrist in my strokes and also in "over-the-table" skills when i play SH.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016