Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I don't get it. Why can't Japan make the finals? Are they drawn against China in the semifinals despite being seeded 2nd? Which ghost team could possibly be seeded between Japan and China?

Groups =/= Quarters so Groups A and B do not mean first half (unless I'm wrong?). In the second knock-out stage, winners from Group A and B will be allocated into positions 1 and 8 (i.e. different halves). Japan will only be in the same half as China (assuming they top Group A) if they are not the winner of Group B.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Thanks in advance ! We wait !

:eek:

On 2nd thought, I started one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj_L155vUlT9r3u1hKE-hMw/community?lb=UgyHiX2H09GaauEYE3B4AaABCQ
NZnV6rN.png

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
The Same reason the JTTA would. Higher world ranking. The 4th spot is largely a bonus and giving it to someone who doesn't clearly merit it has implications.

From the selections for Rio, Murakami explicitly told the media that the 3rd spot would be decided by world ranking. For the men's team, it would be decided by development headquarter, and in the end they went by world ranking.

5 Mizutani
12 Niwa
18 M. Yoshimura
22 Oshima

5 Ishikawa
6 Fukuhara
10 Ito
17 Hirano

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
From the selections for Rio, Murakami explicitly told the media that the 3rd spot would be decided by world ranking. For the men's team, it would be decided by development headquarter, and in the end they went by world ranking.

5 Mizutani
12 Niwa
18 M. Yoshimura
22 Oshima

5 Ishikawa
6 Fukuhara
10 Ito
17 Hirano
Thanks and my point exactly. Selecting Sato for this World Teams shows how conservative the JNT is despite our desires.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
There seems to be a misunderstanding. Im talking about the third member of the team. It seems you spoke about the replacement in general.

But picking up your point, I think the 4th spot is still to important to just give it to the best in WR. Just imagine Ito or Hirano getting injured. With the pressure to achieve results JTTA is in no position to give favors of any kind.

With the double being so important, especially for the 3th team member or potentially in XD i cant see why JTTA should pick Sato or Kato. But its fine if we agree to disagree in that matter.

People were asking why Hayata isnt even a reserve at the WTC. Maybe i can give a plausible explanation. The german team is attending with only three players and no reserves. The reason is, that they probably wont play and will not make it back in time to attent the qualification of the platinum austrian tournament next week. For seeded players its not that stressful, as they start the tournament on thursday, but qualification already starts on tuesday.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I do however, have some info to add about the reserve player from the official document for Olympic Qualifcation. Here's the google translated quotation from the 2020 Olympic Qualification Document of Japan:

4.リザーブ候補選手1 名

日本がメダルを獲得するために必要なダブルス及びシングルスでの国際競争力を持ち
合わせている者1 名を、強化本部が決定し理事会に報告及びJOC に推薦する。
リザーブ選手の発表時期はJOC へのエントリー期限直前とする。
5.補足基準
代表候補選手及びリザーブ候補選手が故障等で大会参加が不能となった場合、その代替
候補選手は、強化本部が決定し理事会に報告及びJOC に推薦する。
4). 1 reserve candidate
International competitiveness in doubles and singles necessary for Japan to win medals
The headquarters will determine one person to be combined, report it to the board and recommend it to the JOC.
The reserve players will be announced immediately before the JOC entry deadline.

5). Supplementary criteria
If the representative candidate player or reserve candidate player cannot participate in the tournament due to a failure, etc.
Candidate athletes will be determined by the Strengthening Headquarters and reported to the Board of Directors and recommended to the JOC.​

Based on the document, the reserve player will be picked based on "International competitiveness in doubles and singles necessary for Japan to win medals" not world ranking. Therefore, it's not a given that the reserve spot will be awarded to the highest WR Japanese player not part of the 3-player main team. Doubles and singles ability and team-fit will be given more importance in selecting the reserve.

Also if one of the 3 main Olympic players get injured before the Olympics start, they don't necessarily have to put the reserve as the replacement, but can opt to get someone else. For example, if Ito, Hirano and Ishikawa are the main players and Sato is the reserve, and Ishikawa gets injured before the Olympics, JTTA can opt to put Hayata in as the 3rd main player given that she's a lefty to replace another lefty and need not automatically go with Sato. However, once the Olympics start though and an injury occurs, it's only the reserve player that can fill in.

On your point of Hayata not being a reserve for the TWC, I agree with your theory. I think that Hayata was offered the 5th team spot but the problem is that the Belarus Open is a week before the TWC. Usually, the Japanese team will have at least a week-long closed training before major tournaments and Hayata can't be part of that if she joins the Belarus Open. Furthermore, Hayata may not even play in the TWC, so she may have thought it would be better for her Olympic chances to join the Belarus Open where she can gain points and showcase her talent for the Olympic selection team rather than forego the Belarus Open and be benched in the TWC. If JTTA really went by World Ranking for the TWC selection, Kato would have gotten the 5th spot, so the fact that the 5th spot is vacant could mean that it was supposedly Hayata's but she turned it down. Since the deadline for player lineups is November 4, maybe the 5th spot was left vacant in case Hayata would reconsider her decision and decides to withdraw from the Belarus Open to play in the TWC instead. Also, the men's team composition isn't based on WR order either, so definitely plausible that TWC selection isn't strictly by WR.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think the desire to have Hayata is leading us to construct too many narratives that keep her in the mix. Is there really a good reason not to field Hayata in Team World Cup if it is a realistic possibility? The conservative nature of the JNT selections is the consistent thread. Expectations of a radical deviation are based more on hope than experience.

Jan 2018
Here's the selection criteria for Rio 2016. Similar footnote about international competitiveness to earn medals but no specific mention of singles and doubles.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015031...a.or.jp/topics/2016/16rioolympicselection.pdf
平成26年9月6日理事会承認
(公財)日本卓球協会 強化本部​

第31回オリンピック競技大会 (2016/リオ) 卓球競技アジア大陸予選会
男女シングルス日本代表選手選考基準および
第31回オリンピック競技大会 (2016/リオ) 卓球競技男女団体代表候補選手選考基準​

1.アジア大陸予選会 男子・女子シングルス代表選手(1NOC2名)の選出方法
(1)『2015年9月ITTF発表予定』の世界ランキングから上位2名を標記大会の代表選手とする。
※ アジア大陸予選会代表選手が大陸予選会に於いて代表権が獲得できなかった場合、ITTFの規程により、
同選手が2016年5月発行のオリンピックシングルスランキングリストの上位から選ばれる選手(22名)
の選考対象となる。

※代表決定者が故障等で参加が不能となった場合、その代替選手は次の2点を勘案し強化本部が決定する。
イ.国際競争力の実績と評価。
ロ.国際競争力向上へ高い潜在性があると思われる選手。

2.男子・女子団体代表候補選手(上記1の2名に加える残り1名)の選出方法
(1)強化本部推薦(1名)
次の2点を勘案し、強化本部が決定する。
イ、国際競争力の実績と評価
ロ、日本がメダルを獲得するために必要な国際競争力を持ち合わせている者

3.リザーブ選手(1名)の選出方法
(1)強化本部推薦(1名)
次の2点を勘案し、強化本部が決定する。
イ、国際競争力の実績と評価
ロ、日本がメダルを獲得するために必要な国際競争力を持ち合わせている者

※なお、オリンピック憲章によってオリンピック競技大会への参加が認められる選手であることが選考の
前提条件となる。

(※選考基準1、2に該当した代表候補は2015年9月開催の理事会にて審議し、決定する予定である。)

以 上​

*リオデジャネイロオリンピック大会日程:(2016.8/5-21)、卓球競技(2016.8/6-16)

Jan 2018
Niwa "seriously" playing his retirement tournament...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
https://hochi.news/articles/20191105-OHT1T50188.html
伊藤美誠、シングルスの柱「チームみんなでいいパフォーマンスを」
2019年11月6日 9時4分スポーツ報知
# スポーツ# 卓球

◆卓球 JA全農 ITTF 卓球ワールドカップ団体戦 2019 TOKYO(6日開幕、東京体育館)

卓球の国際大会「JA全農 W杯団体戦」(報知新聞社後援)は6日から10日まで東京体育館で行われる。20年東京五輪のテスト大会として実施され、会場も試合形式も同じ。日本は昨年2月の前回大会(ロンドン)で男女とも銀メダルを獲得した。女子で主将を務める石川佳純(26)=全農=は、地元の声援を力に変え初優勝を目指すことを宣言。伊藤美誠(19)=スターツ=、平野美宇(19)=日本生命=、佐藤瞳(21)=ミキハウス=とともに打倒・中国に挑む。6日の1次リーグ初戦はオーストリアと対戦する。

伊藤が国内で自身初の団体戦に挑む。13歳だった14年の世界選手権団体戦は会場で観戦。「この舞台で試合をしたいなとすごく思いました」と憧れた。世界ランク7位で日本勢トップに立つが、国内でも全日本選手権で2年連続3冠に輝いている。「私は日本で試合するのも大好き。たくさんの方に見に来てもらえたらすごくうれしいし、チームみんなでいいパフォーマンスをできたらいいなと思います」と胸を高鳴らせた。

昨年2月の前回大会では早田ひな(19)=日本生命=とのダブルスが中心だったが、今大会はシングルスの柱として起用される可能性が高い。馬場監督もポイントゲッターに指名。「ポイントを取ってもらいたい選手。彼女もそれを自覚してくれていて、非常に頑張ってくれると思う」と期待を込めた。同年5月の世界選手権団体戦(スウェーデン)では中国との決勝で劉詩ブンに勝利するなど、初戦から8戦全勝。大会のMVPに輝いた。団体戦での連勝記録継続も注目される。

直近の10月のワールドツアー、スウェーデン・オープン(OP)、ドイツOPでは2大会連続で準優勝を飾るなど、安定感も増してきた。9月の1か月間は大会に出場せず、練習期間に設定。戦術の幅を広げたことで「前よりもできることが増えたし、質がすごく上がった。1か月間練習できて本当に良かった。いい試合ができて、自信を持てました」と成長を実感する。

10月21日に誕生日を迎えた。「団体戦ですけど、個の力は大事になってくると思う。出させてもらったら勝つことが一番。勝って、チームの1点、チームの勝ちにつなげられるようにしたい」。20年東京五輪も控える19歳の1年。自覚を胸に最高のスタートを切る。
Ito is now the pillar for singles and Baba calls Ito the "point-getter."

The stability has also increased, winning second place in 2 consecutive tournaments at the Swedish Open and the German Open in October. She did not participate in the tournament for 1 month in September and use it as a practice period. By expanding the range of tactics, "I can do more than before and the quality has improved a lot. It was really good to practice for a month. I was able to have a good game and have confidence."

This user has no status.
What impresses me the most is ITO's serves. I was right behind the players and with my friends we played the "guess the spin" and with ITO I was fooled all the time. or the serve was too fast we couldn't react at all. We didn't have that much feeling with any other player male or female. On top of that, she has a huge variety of serves.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
What impresses me the most is ITO's serves. I was right behind the players and with my friends we played the "guess the spin" and with ITO I was fooled all the time. or the serve was too fast we couldn't react at all. We didn't have that much feeling with any other player male or female. On top of that, she has a huge variety of serves.

Thank you very much ! Write, write, you are an eyewitness !!!

Jan 2018
http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2019-11-02/doc-iicezzrr6657139.shtml
孙颖莎:哪里跌倒从哪里爬起来 输伊藤的比赛珍贵
2019年11月02日 09:29 新浪体育综合

瑞典公开赛半决赛中,孙颖莎在2比0领先的情况下被伊藤美诚翻盘,势头正猛的她输了球,输的还是世乒赛完胜过的主要对手。孙颖莎说:“回想那场比赛,我在赛前准备上就出现了一些问题。”能帮助孙颖莎获得连胜的精密赛前准备,在不够全面的时候也成为了她输球的原因。

在孙颖莎看来,瑞典公开赛中的伊藤美诚和世乒赛上判若两人,“我们世乒赛交手时,她是日本名将,我是第一次参加世乒赛的新人,她对我一点都不了解,我上去就是拼她,那时候感觉伊藤身上是背着包袱的。但在瑞典,伊藤的表情让我觉得她和世乒赛时完全不一样,打得非常坦然,反而我在被她猜中了几个球后,人就很慌。”孙颖莎在场上也在观察伊藤美诚,也在执行赛前准备的技战术,“但在她打到我难受的点时,我没有跟上她的应变,后面几局我就是在跟着伊藤的节奏胡乱变,没有一点自己的想法。”

输了比赛,孙颖莎总结了在备战中应变方面的准备不足,也反思了自己的心态。“对伊藤这位能力很强的对手,我觉得我不能抱着一种‘我千万不能输给她’这样沉重的心态打,越这样想,压力就越加在了我身上。第二,我输过她一次,如果再碰上,我一定要借鉴这次输球看到的问题。”

瑞典公开赛结束后,孙颖莎非常想在德国公开赛时能再碰到伊藤美诚,想证明自己,想让交手记录停留在胜利这一笔。德国站又对上伊藤美诚,这次孙颖莎是站在决赛场上,她的成败直接关乎冠军归属。让孙颖莎不紧张是不可能的,比赛前,乒协主席刘国梁给孙颖莎来了电话。“刘主席帮我准备了比赛,他让我去回忆世乒赛前准备的细节,赛前我就一直在回想,因为世乒赛的记忆是特别美好的,所以真上场比赛的时候我心里觉得挺舒服,没有那么多压力了。”孙颖莎说,赛前刘主席、马琳指导和黄海城指导把该说的该准备的都讲到了,到赛场上就是她自己要面对的了。

比赛中,孙颖莎在1比0领先后,被伊藤美诚追平了一局,这时候孙颖莎想起刘国梁在电话里跟她说过:前三局赢一局就行,打成1比2也要慢慢打,平稳地打,不用非要领先,一分一分打就没问题。同时刘国梁还嘱咐孙颖莎说,要敢于和伊藤比猜心理。孙颖莎想起这些嘱咐,平稳地和伊藤美诚周旋,最终4比1战胜了对手。

“后来我回看这场比赛,这场比赛对我来说很珍贵,我以后肯定要经历很多这样的比赛,必须从比赛中去成长,从各种意义上说,这场球都将给我带来很大的帮助。”孙颖莎总结说,德国公开赛上,面对伊藤美诚时,身上不是“不能输给她”的压力,而是“必须要赢”的坚定。(乒乓世界)
In Sun Yingsha's opinion, the Ito in WTTC and in Swedish Open were 2 different persons. "When we played in the WTTC, she was a Japanese star. It was my first time to participate in the WTTC. She didn't know anything about me. I was the challenger. I felt that Ito was carrying a burden. But in Sweden, Ito's expression made me think that she was completely different from the WTTC. She played very calmly. Yet, I panicked after she guessed a few shots right." Sun Yingsha was also observing Ito on the court, and also executed the tactics prepared beforehand, "but when she hit where it hurt, I didn't keep up with her. In the next few games, I was following her pace, and I didn't have any of idea of my own."

After the end of the Swedish Open, Sun Yingsha really wanted to meet Ito again during the German Open, to prove herself and to keep the record in the black. She got what she wanted, this time standing in the final where her success or failure is directly related to the title. It is impossible for Sun Yingsha to not be nervous. Before the match, Liu Guoliang, president of the table tennis association, called Sun Yingsha. "President Liu prepared the match for me. He asked me to recall the details of the preparations before the WTTC. I have been thinking about it before the match because the memory of the WTTC is particularly nice, so I felt rather at ease when actually playing, not so much pressure.” Sun Yingsha said that before the match, President Liu, coach Ma Lin and coach Huang Haicheng did all they could and it came down to me on the court.

In the match, Sun Yingsha led 1-0, but was tied by Ito afterward. At that moment, she recalled what Liu Guoliang had told her on the phone: getting 1 in the first 3 games is good enough. Take it slow even if the score was 1 to 2. You don't have to lead at all costs. Playing point by point is fine. Liu Guoliang also reminded Sun Yingsha to play the mind game with Ito. Sun Yingsha kept these in mind, dealed smoothly with Ito, and finally defeated her 4-1.

Jan 2018

In S-PARK or S1 for German Open, it's noted that she has like 5 or 6 service motions.