People who switched from carbon back to wood, how’s it going?

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
When I was young, oh so long ago!!
I learnt to play using an all wood pre made Dunlop bat, this had reasonable Dunlop rubbers, not fast, average spin, good feel, after a couple of years I got a Tamca 5000 with Sriver on BH and Tackiness D on FH, I was still learning to play and still being coached, I absolutely loved this combo. Although the feel wasn’t quite the same, I still progressed at a fair pace!!
So you can still learn using a fast blade, but compared to today’s modern rubbers, Sriver & Tackiness are slowish.
I still moved back to an all wood Grubba blade, same rubbers after a number of years, the feeling was better for my taste.

As a total beginner. If you were given a fast blade with fast rubbers as your 1st bat, and were coached regularly and kept in a bubble. You would only know what you had to use, you may think everyone plays with the same equipment, that what you were using was the ‘norm’.

l don’t know how much difference the equipment would make to your progress in this scenario. My gut feeling is that you would just learn to play!! You have no choice in the matter!!!!
Perhaps the important thing is to stick with the same equipment for a long time!! ( just wear a mask, keep your distance, and hope you don’t catch the EJ virus!!! )

As NDH mentioned it would be interesting to see and compare progress of beginners using wood or carbon blades. But the spanner in the works is that everyone is different!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Getting back to the subject of changing from carbon back to wood how’s it going?
For me, better!!! But more because the ‘speed’ of the blade is slower even though it has ‘carbon’ !!! Feel is great too!!
My switch is going ok. I’ve been trying hard to relearn to like my yeo.

So far I’ve found that with a boosted hurricane 8, it plays too similar to my carbon. I bought a sheet of TG2 Neo for the most control possible while still maintaining the offensive.

Also because im a bit of a ma lin fanboy 😆.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
What's not to like about YEO! its awesome. Maybe you should use some easier rubber. H8 and TG2 seem pretty hard to use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
What's not to like about YEO! its awesome. Maybe you should use some easier rubber. H8 and TG2 seem pretty hard to use.

I don’t like the how the blade feels. Something about how it vibrates…

i like Chinese on forehand, although I might explore other options. Any recommendations?

i would also like for this thread about rubbers to be talked in private messages as it drastically changes the conversation.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly was trying to copy Hurricane 3/Neo with D09c.

perhaps with h8-80? Or h9 is their hybrid.

BTY’s H3 clone is Aibiss not D09C.
D09C as far as I’m concerned is a newer version of Spin Art, or a progression of Spin Art.
Others may disagree on this take on it, but Spin Art and D09C are ‘hybrid’ type rubbers - bouncy sponge, top sheet with some tackiness.
When I tested Spin Art and D09C there was definitely similarities between them.
Aibiss has the dense hard H3 type sponge with a tackier top sheet, for me way closer to H3 than D09C is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

BTY’s H3 clone is Aibiss not D09C.
D09C as far as I’m concerned is a newer version of Spin Art, or a progression of Spin Art.
Others may disagree on this take on it, but Spin Art and D09C are ‘hybrid’ type rubbers - bouncy sponge, top sheet with some tackiness.
When I tested Spin Art and D09C there was definitely similarities between them.
Aibiss has the dense hard H3 type sponge with a tackier top sheet, for me way closer to H3 than D09C is.

I should have stated a boosted hurricane.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Does DHS have their own hybrid rubber?? I know Yinhe has Big Dipper and Apollo 5.

H8 is kinda faster, but still not really like D09c or Big Dipper.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Does DHS have their own hybrid rubber??
Another guy who takes lessons from my coach has DHS Goldarc 8 fh. I hit with his setup for a few minutes and the G8 felt really nice, easy and consistent. It's an ESN tensor, not tacky at all, so not sure if that's what you meant by a hybrid. It's not tacky rubber with euro sponge, just a grippy 50 degree ESN rubber sold by DHS.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I should have stated a boosted hurricane.

I can see where you’re coming from, interesting how people see things. D09C a boosted H3??
I just filed it away as a hybrid type rubber!! Still not totally convinced its BTY’s answer to boosted H3, especially as plenty of people seem to boost T05/D09C etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I can see where you’re coming from, interesting how people see things. D09C a boosted H3??
I just filed it away as a hybrid type rubber!! Still not totally convinced its BTY’s answer to boosted H3, especially as plenty of people seem to boost T05/D09C etc.

I had the chance to be able hit both d09c and national blue sponge in 40, boosted with seamoon.

I can say that they play very similar bounce wise- this might be their one of their few similarities… The feel is different. It almost feels as though d09c is like a knockoff hurricane. It lacks that feeling of safety that is EVEN more pronounced on the national version.

I felt and saw from my friend that was hitting and comparing the two that he did get as much spin on d09c over h3 national blue.

if you look at as it’s own entity without comparison, you might like it. But very difficult to justify such a high price when commercial hurricane that’s boosted feels better to use.

provincial boosted is the best compromise price wise. Although, former cnt youth player told me that most people can’t even get the most out of provincial and let alone national.

in regards to boosting… people boost anything really. It’s the insatiable need for more. That’s just something wired into a person. I could never have imagined to boost t05. It’s already so quick. I actually like T19 a lot more- controlled but still very offensive.

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I had the chance to be able hit both d09c and national blue sponge in 40, boosted with seamoon.

I can say that they play very similar bounce wise- this might be their one of their few similarities… The feel is different. It almost feels as though d09c is like a knockoff hurricane. It lacks that feeling of safety that is EVEN more pronounced on the national version.

I felt and saw from my friend that was hitting and comparing the two that he did get as much spin on d09c over h3 national blue.

if you look at as it’s own entity without comparison, you might like it. But very difficult to justify such a high price when commercial hurricane that’s boosted feels better to use.

provincial boosted is the best compromise price wise. Although, former cnt youth player told me that most people can’t even get the most out of provincial and let alone national.

in regards to boosting… people boost anything really. It’s the insatiable need for more. That’s just something wired into a person. I could never have imagined to boost t05. It’s already so quick. I actually like T19 a lot more- controlled but still very offensive.

I think that there is a ‘Butterfly feel’ especially for the Tenergies T05, T19, Etc, I haven’t tried the other Dignics rubbers only D09C, Spin Art felt similar to D09C.
D09C and Spin Art felt like a slower version ( because of the slight tackiness ) of Tenergy
I’m not saying that in a blind test I could tell whether I was using a BTY rubber, but for me, in a way they have a characteristic feeling when playing with them.
I have used T80FX and because of the softer sponge that didn’t have that Regular Tenergy feel. But my guess is that perhaps the other fx versions feel pretty similar??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

I have been trying both H3 (Prov neo and commercial neo - blue & orange, boosted) and D09C (boosted and unboosted). To my mind they definitely share a similar feel and style due to the hardness and the tacky top sheet. I would say that a little boost on D09C has softened it and made it a better rubber for me and easier to play with. Generally Im very happy with H3 and it is my go to FH rubber, but I like the D09C a lot and enjoy its more lively, dynamic feeling so will continue using it for now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I thought to update this thread as something to keep track of my all wood journey.

I played with my YEO once again. I don’t hate it as much as I said. I don’t like either.

my current setup is:

FH: H3 Neo Commercial 40
BH: Tenergy 19

I’ve been enjoying the increased spin in service. Lifting super heavy underspin is real easy, and flicks are good.
Over the table feels meh. Push and touch game is okay. I’ve enjoyed much more surety with other setups.

My BH has improved a lot with the use of tenergy. It has deadly killing force.

I might lightly boost my H3.

but still in search of THE all wood blade.

considering: B2 All wood, Infinity Vps, HL3.

a compromise between all wood and carbon… stiga dynasty 🤔🤔

erm

This user has no status.

erm

This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Read 1 reviews
I also have been going back and forth from Composite blades to all wood blades...I used to prefer 5 play blades which most are too slow for todays game, but there are about 3 of them i could still use and be fine with, otherwise i prefer now 7ply wood especially when using tuned sticky rubber on the forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I find blades like MLEO very suitable for attacking offensive game with the modern ball.

I used to have a Stiga Offensive CR, which maybe was a little too soft for today's game. Of course its still playable though, but felt sub-optimal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I thought to update this thread as something to keep track of my all wood journey.

I played with my YEO once again. I don’t hate it as much as I said. I don’t like either.

my current setup is:

FH: H3 Neo Commercial 40
BH: Tenergy 19

I’ve been enjoying the increased spin in service. Lifting super heavy underspin is real easy, and flicks are good.
Over the table feels meh. Push and touch game is okay. I’ve enjoyed much more surety with other setups.

My BH has improved a lot with the use of tenergy. It has deadly killing force.

I might lightly boost my H3.

but still in search of THE all wood blade.

considering: B2 All wood, Infinity Vps, HL3.

a compromise between all wood and carbon… stiga dynasty 🤔🤔

Have you considered- Yasaka Sweden Extra, Yinhe W6 or Nittaku Acoustic? All work well with tacky Chinese rubbers.

I've been using Nittaku acoustic for years and swore I would never try anything that's not all wood ever again but Nittaku acoustic inner would probably be my choice if I did.