STIGA Carbonado 145 Blade Review with Fan Zhendong!

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Hi Dan! how was it playing with the chinese top brass?)) I found that these guys are good - but not really stratospherically/out of this world good (well not to players good enough for British league div1 or even premier standard)- the fact that you made 5 points proves it)) Yes, they are strong, and yes, you would never defeat them in a match, BUT considering they are pros - you would give them a damn good game! what are your thoughts??)

Last edited:
Hi Dan! how was it playing with the chinese top brass?)) I found that these guys are good - but not really stratospherically/out of this world good (well not to players good enough for British league div1 or even premier standard)- the fact that you made 5 points proves it)) Yes, they are strong, and yes, you would never defeat them in a match, BUT considering they are pros - you would give them a damn good game! what are your thoughts??)

Man this is a sparring match sponsored by Stiga, if FZD is not stratospherically good/out of this world, then nobody is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 2 reviews
Man this is a sparring match sponsored by Stiga, if FZD is not stratospherically good/out of this world, then nobody is.
you are so right. fzd would give maximum 3 points per set to dan if fzd play 80% of maximum, no offence against dan, he is for sure a good player but fzd is ranked no3 in the world

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews

Thats right nobody is. Depends what level we are talking about (note that I mentioned for a British league div1 or prem league). No one is stratospherically good/better (by the very definition of stratospheric) for that level of player. Yes, they will get beaten, perhaps badly, but not the way for instance, a hobby player would. Thats why the word 'stratospheric' is used in the post.
The problem with lower ranked players when facing big players is twofold - first - IF they ever have a chance (highly unlikely) to play a FZD type player, it would be well outside their normal conditions/comfort zones - in a v.large arena or stage. Not being used to quite this type of pressure, nerves will ultimately kill their game. High level players, in addition to the advantage of being technically superior, have the edge in terms of being used to playing in this type of environment.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
You seem 100% certain about this - I am not so sure))) On what basis are you making this conclusion? I can only assume that you are making this on the basis of perception, that FZD is no 3 in the world, and that he is FZD. I could be making the wrong assumptions of course - but judging by your logic and reasoning, (had we not known the results of the match) I would say you would be one of the many people arguing till you are blue in the face that Aruna Quadri would be crushed 3-0 by Zjang Jike. We all know that was not the case - and had Aruna been a bit more composed (and ZJK not so lucky) in a few crucial points - the match would have ended much closer. Belief is paramount. A certain level of player (Dan for instance) will NOT be beaten 11-3 by anyone - I dont care who - IF he plays his best and does not get overcome by nerves and who he is playing against. If you go in against a big name and tell yourself you will get beaten 11-0 - then inevitable you will, because you have resigned to that fate - not due to lack of skill/technical competence, but because you did so in your head.

Thats right nobody is. Depends what level we are talking about (note that I mentioned for a British league div1 or prem league). No one is stratospherically good/better (by the very definition of stratospheric) for that level of player. Yes, they will get beaten, perhaps badly, but not the way for instance, a hobby player would. Thats why the word 'stratospheric' is used in the post.
The problem with lower ranked players when facing big players is twofold - first - IF they ever have a chance (highly unlikely) to play a FZD type player, it would be well outside their normal conditions/comfort zones - in a v.large arena or stage. Not being used to quite this type of pressure, nerves will ultimately kill their game. High level players, in addition to the advantage of being technically superior, have the edge in terms of being used to playing in this type of environment.

FZD was the chinese national finalist at 16, losing 11-9 in the 7th set, at 17 he is the Chinese national champion.......I call that being stratospherically good. I know many players from chinese super league (playing now in France, that includes my coach), and even for them..........FZD is "out of this world".
I'm not speaking about ZJK or Ma long here, indeed they are top class of chinese players, but no they are not considered "out of this word" by the chinese players I know, only FZD is, they have never seen that and they couldn't think that a 17yo kid would be able to win the Chinese Nationals before FZD.

Last edited:
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
FZD was the chinese national finalist at 16, losing 11-9 in the 7th set, at 17 he is the Chinese national champion.......I call that being stratospherically good. I know many players from chinese super league (playing now in France, that includes my coach), and even for them..........FZD is "out of this world".
I'm not speaking about ZJK or Ma long here, indeed they are top class of chinese players, but no they are not considered "out of this word" by the chinese players I know, only FZD is, they have never seen that and they couldn't think that a 17yo kid would be able to win the Chinese Nationals before FZD.

I see your point. But I still maintain that if Dan is relaxed and playing at his best, he will not lose 11 - 3 to FZD... I am convinced of that. He probably would, of course, if he was on a table in a huge arena, with thousands watching, and millions on tv - due to nerves, not because he was that much technically inferior.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Hey!

Haha it was amazing playing against them! Hmm this is a very interesting and difficult question to answer. I think when I played Fan Zhendong in the review he played the basics so well. His basics are so good that its like your playing against a robot at perfection. When I played Fan in the match he made some errors but I do feel he wouldn't have made as many as them if his motivation was higher. I think the reason they don't look out of this world, crazily good is because pros like the Chinese focus on basics all the time. They keep the game very simple and practise getting the fundamentals correct (all the time).
I personally think playing a Chinese players style easier than lets say Jan Ove Waldner due to the variation euro style players make..

For example... I use to be coached by Sun Jin (Sydney 2000 Olympics Women's Doubles Silver Medallist) and she was a left handed player with short pimples. It was so difficult to play against. In real practice matches i would get 1 or 2 points per set. But I believe this was because it was impossible to read what she was going to do. Whereas playing Fan Zhendong is a lot more conventional type of game so you kind of know what to expect, however at amazing quality.

In a nutshell, these current CNT players practise so much and with each other every day they simply improve and become flawless. They started at such a young age with fantastic coaches and great training partners with excellent environments. Fan Zhendong become one of the best in the world at the age of 16. Insane really.

Just when I'm planning to go back to composite blades! and carbon at that! haha! nice timing, Stiga. :)
Indeed, tempting blade. I wonder if it would suit medium pips. :)

True! Let us know how you find the rubber with short pips, i'd be interested.

Does someone know what the price is going to be?

At the end of January we will find out :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
FZD not played with your blade or its rubbers ..and none is stiga ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hmm..
My coach said: "Stiga had good blades 30-40 years ago. Back then there was this guy making them. After he died, he took his secret to the grave. Take 30-40 years old blade from Stiga and try it! It will be awesome! Take any new from them, its crap. ... new carbon technology? Bullsh*t.. Carbon is carbon. Put layers this way or that way, its always hard piece of carbon and its always the same. Important is the other stuff around it." .. well that was his words, not mine, I only share..
But this guy has some respect in my country..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
Hmm..
My coach said: "Stiga had good blades 30-40 years ago. Back then there was this guy making them. After he died, he took his secret to the grave. Take 30-40 years old blade from Stiga and try it! It will be awesome! Take any new from them, its crap. ... new carbon technology? Bullsh*t.. Carbon is carbon. Put layers this way or that way, its always hard piece of carbon and its always the same. Important is the other stuff around it." .. well that was his words, not mine, I only share..
But this guy has some respect in my country..

Well everyone got their own opinion but saying that every Stiga blade the last 30-40 years is crap is for me bullshi*t. Stiga got a really good reputation when it comes to making blades and I would be surprised if your "pro" coach have tried all of Stigas blades the last years. The setup is very individual but I think your coach sounds a bit pessimistic :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
image.jpg

Prices are up on tabletennis11.com

145: 190 euros
190: 170 euros